LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Interior/Rearview Mirror Replacement for 2008 LR2 (Please help)

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 08:21 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Rearview/Interior Mirror Replacement for 2008 LR2 (Please help!)

I am a new owner of a 2008 LR2 with a factory installed auto-dim mirror. The problem is, at night the mirror stays on DIM the whole time, making it TOO dark/difficult to see at night.

I contacted several dealerships/service personnel & asked them if the factory installed mirror is a WEDGE MOUNT or CAMLOCK MOUNT. No one knew. (??!) All I got was that it was "electromatic"; now that doesn't help me.

I just purchased this **** replacement mirror which is a WEDGE MOUNT, and hope it'll work:
**** 36400 Wedge Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror with Compass & Temperature

I have attached a picture of my CURRENT mirror (& car). Can someone please tell me if my current mount looks like a wedge mount?? Many thanks in advance!

(Please click on my attached images, not the advertisement that may be shown directly below)

Attached Thumbnails Interior/Rearview Mirror Replacement for 2008 LR2 (Please help)-20140102_101953.jpg   Interior/Rearview Mirror Replacement for 2008 LR2 (Please help)-img_4028.jpg  

Last edited by layla100; 01-02-2014 at 10:25 PM. Reason: misc
Old 01-03-2014, 06:13 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Cam.

Also, I have not noticed these being 'too dark' at night before. They work off a difference of light input to the front and the back sensors. If more light hits the sensor on the mirror glass(facing rear of vehicle), then hits the sensor on the plastic(facing windshield) then it dims.

The LR2 has a very poorly placed front sensor, and most parking passes will cause them to dim far too much during the day, as it will block the sensor from all light coming in the windshield, but at night when there isn't much ambient light from the front, this shouldn't cause much issue. You're not driving with the interior light on, are you?

I would try maybe moving whatever is attached to the glass right there first, and make sure nothing is hanging off the mount. You also need to be careful with aftermarket mirrors, as the rain/light sensor is mounted under the mirror cover, and some may not fit, most will not fit properly in the cover either, and will look unfinished.

You can test operation of the sensors, by shining a light at each one, and watching the mirrors response, again, light on the glass, and none on the front should dim it.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:12 PM
Winching
Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Land Rover LR2 rear view mirror replacement

I had the same issue with my 2008 LR2. The combination of the dimming mirror with the tinted rear window makes it difficult to see at night. Of course, you don't notice this when you test drive the vehicle because you normally take a test drive during the daytime. Issues like this make me wonder if the people who design these vehicles have ever driven them?

At the suggestion of another LR2 owner, I purchased and installed a Broadway 270mm Flat Mirror. It simply clips over the existing OEM mirror and provides a clear rear view. It also looks better than the OEM mirror.

You can find it for under $20 on Amazon, eBay, and some online auto parts stores.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:00 PM
4th Gear
Red face

Originally Posted by roverguy7
Cam.

Also, I have not noticed these being 'too dark' at night before. They work off a difference of light input to the front and the back sensors. If more light hits the sensor on the mirror glass(facing rear of vehicle), then hits the sensor on the plastic(facing windshield) then it dims.

The LR2 has a very poorly placed front sensor, and most parking passes will cause them to dim far too much during the day, as it will block the sensor from all light coming in the windshield, but at night when there isn't much ambient light from the front, this shouldn't cause much issue. You're not driving with the interior light on, are you?

I would try maybe moving whatever is attached to the glass right there first, and make sure nothing is hanging off the mount. You also need to be careful with aftermarket mirrors, as the rain/light sensor is mounted under the mirror cover, and some may not fit, most will not fit properly in the cover either, and will look unfinished.

You can test operation of the sensors, by shining a light at each one, and watching the mirrors response, again, light on the glass, and none on the front should dim it.

I really appreciate your reply. I'm sure your comments will help many people. I plan on sending back the mirror (& not take a chance), and purchase the clip-on mirror suggested below. Again, thank you!

Old 01-04-2014, 01:03 PM
4th Gear

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! This mirror issue was driving me crazy. I appreciate your suggestion, and have purchased the clip on mirror. Hopefully it'll be a great alternative!

Old 01-04-2014, 01:05 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by LR2driver
I had the same issue with my 2008 LR2. The combination of the dimming mirror with the tinted rear window makes it difficult to see at night. Of course, you don't notice this when you test drive the vehicle because you normally take a test drive during the daytime. Issues like this make me wonder if the people who design these vehicles have ever driven them?

At the suggestion of another LR2 owner, I purchased and installed a Broadway 270mm Flat Mirror. It simply clips over the existing OEM mirror and provides a clear rear view. It also looks better than the OEM mirror.

You can find it for under $20 on Amazon, eBay, and some online auto parts stores.
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! This mirror problem was driving me crazy. I appreciate your suggestion, and just purchased the clip-on mirror. Hopefully it'll be a great alternative!

Old 01-05-2014, 09:19 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I seen a lot of clip on mirrors people use for the kids in the back so they don't have to turn them to see what is going on behind them.