LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'06 LR3 Electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 09:54 AM
7th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LR3 Instrument Cluster Problem

I have a 2007 LR3 and the instrument cluster has been malfunctioning for over a year. The symptoms are all in the cluster with the lights and dials turning on and off. This does not affect anything else with the car. When the cluster is off, everything (headlights, blinkers, brake lights, wipers, etc.) works fine. I can't bare taking this to a Land Rover dealer as they would simply hook the car up to the diagnosis center (for $85) and come to the conclusion that, yes your car has an electrical problem... My concern is that if I were to remove the cluster and replace it and download the milage, etc. (there is a store in Northern PA that can do this for $450) that the problem is further down the electric braid, perhaps the central CPU.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:05 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

I have attempted to install and sync a used cluster before with no luck.

Last new cluster I bought was $950. I just got a recent quote for $1100.

You say when the cluster is "off" everything works fine.

does that mean when dis-connected?

Old 07-18-2017, 10:37 AM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Sounds like when it's not functioning...

Old 07-18-2017, 10:54 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
I have attempted to install and sync a used cluster before with no luck.

Last new cluster I bought was $950. I just got a recent quote for $1100.

You say when the cluster is "off" everything works fine.

does that mean when dis-connected?
Abran, what tool were you using when you tried to sync a used cluster?
Just curious. I've seen on one of the other forums someone claim they were able to do it with an IID GAP tool, along w/ help from the GAP customer support team.

Old 07-18-2017, 04:33 PM
7th Gear
Default Instrument Cluster Problems

To clarify, my LR3 drives fine, however when diving along the instrument cluster just dies; all lights go out and needles drop down to bottom. Then, everything turns back on. Sometimes when coming back on, all the lights come on but the gas gauge remains on empty. I have tested the blinkers, driving lights windshield wipers, etc when the cluster is off and everything works fine.
The company in north PA buys used instrument clusters from crashes and can download the milage from my unit. That cost is $450. 90 day warranty. A little dicey in my opinion, but beats several thousand from the LR dealer.

Old 07-18-2017, 05:33 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by LRDave3
To clarify, my LR3 drives fine, however when diving along the instrument cluster just dies; all lights go out and needles drop down to bottom. Then, everything turns back on. Sometimes when coming back on, all the lights come on but the gas gauge remains on empty. I have tested the blinkers, driving lights windshield wipers, etc when the cluster is off and everything works fine.
The company in north PA buys used instrument clusters from crashes and can download the milage from my unit. That cost is $450. 90 day warranty. A little dicey in my opinion, but beats several thousand from the LR dealer.
Can you share the companies name/details?

Old 07-18-2017, 08:01 PM
7th Gear

It is called The Instrument Cluster Store.
Phone: 1-800-590-2716
sales@instrumentclusterstore.com
I'd read all the info on the site.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default unplug and plug cluster back in

The link below relates to the removal and replacement of the speaker within the instrument cluster, however one of the jpg's shows the rear of the instrument cluster where the one big connector plugs in.

Some say the cable is a bit to short, but regardless, over time, the plug tends to partly unplug itself.

All you do is pull out the assembly so that you can get at the plug, unplug it and then re-plug it back in. The odds are the problem is solved.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albu...D3_Speaker.pdf

You do not have to remove the steering wheel - one can suck the cluster out just by lowering the steering wheel and then fooling around. See the link below as the 3 owner had the problem referred to - took a bit more than just re-plugging the connector, but no new cluster was required.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...t-panel-84084/

You do not ever want to purchase a replacement cluster - the printed circuit board contains the backup memory chip for the car computer. This is why junkyard clusters are useless as it is near impossible to reprogram the old chip with your current car computer data - kind of like the key fob problem, only real money.

If it is good news, rarely is the instrument cluster the problem - it is the wires to the cluster or some other simple fix but it is near impossible to find problem. That is actually true for near all the printed circuit boards, they are not the problem - it is simple stuff feeding the pcb's that are the problem.

The following users liked this post:
gofish (07-19-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 07:11 AM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Mr. Byer's message brought to you by Cold Comfort....lol

Old 07-19-2017, 08:53 AM
Baja

Originally Posted by gofish
Abran, what tool were you using when you tried to sync a used cluster?
Just curious. I've seen on one of the other forums someone claim they were able to do it with an IID GAP tool, along w/ help from the GAP customer support team.
Autologic. You actually download the software profile for the vehicle ICM(cluster), then upload the request to Land Rover for the software. Once Land Rover sends it back you use that file to update/sync the cluster.

Last edited by abran; 07-19-2017 at 08:56 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by abran:
bbyer (07-19-2017), gofish (07-19-2017)

Quick Reply: '06 LR3 Electrical issues