LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC woes.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 08:59 AM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default AC woes.

I picked up a 08 LR3 HSE last week. Knowing it had AC issues. It's 95 here in Atlanta so I've got to get this fixed.

The owner says that when he took it in the compressor was tested fine but the rear AC is leaking and the condenser needs replaced. I tried to drop some AC Pro it in, for sh*ts and giggles, but no dice.

I am going to order two things this weekend. A new condenser and the coolant line section for the "non-rear AC" LR3. There is no reason for me to ever use the rear AC and taking that entire system out of the equation seems like a great idea. The lines are too deep in the chassis to troubleshoot.

So - There are a few condenser options. Are they mostly the same are is there a reason to go for an OEM or Nissens?

Past dropping in the new condenser, and the new line, what is the next step? Would it be best to go in and have a shop put in new oil and a full recharge? Is there a DIY write up on after some hardware is replaced?

Thanks.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:19 AM
Winching
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Don't have the knowledge to answer most of your questions, but I do know you definitely need to take it to someone to have the right amount of oil and charge put in after evacuating the system properly.

My AC likely has a leak somewhere as well, the compressor is starting to whine, so interested to hear how eliminating the rear AC goes. Let us know cost, issues you run into, etc!

Old 06-14-2018, 09:33 AM
Mudding

Some research:

The part that would NOT route AC to the rear lines is LR014460.

It just eliminates the two lines that fork off and connect to the lines that go under the vehicle. It just connects the line where it coules afgter the fill ports to the firewall ports. The part is maybe a foot long. The lines for the rear connect just under where the line goes into the firewall. Afterwards, these lines will just mount there unconnected. (I may rip it all out later in life)

There are a lot of condenser options. Nissens go for around $180 on FCP Euro but they offer a lifetime replacement like all their parts. If I end up having to purchase a compressor, I'll go FCP Euro. I want to know that if it EVER dies, they just send me a new one.

Now you can find a slew of other condenser options for only $80 across RockAuto, Amazon, and everywhere else.

My curiosity is does the extra $100 get you anything?

Old 06-14-2018, 09:38 AM
Winching
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

I put a Nissens radiator in my other car from FCP and it seems top quality. I'd probably spend the $100 and get the peace of mind, considering the need to have to evacuate and recharge if the $80 condenser fails. Are you sure the condenser isn't the source of the leak if it needs to be replaced?

Old 06-14-2018, 09:44 AM
Mudding

The hose the eliminates the rear AC is only $70. If I get that, and the condenser, I would feel pretty confident I have a good chance the system will charge alright.

If there is a lingering problem, then it should be right there in the front of the car.

On a side not though, the other three hoses in the engine compartment are $$$$. All 4 hoses are $500.

Old 06-14-2018, 10:46 AM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

I have installed the Nissens in the last 2 LR3s and 1 LR4. No fitting issues, they all lined up perfect. The one I got for an LR4 can pressurized, as in I removed a cap and it hissed. I guess that’s how they make sure they are good.

i would only be concerned that the other cheaper brands would not fit perfectly.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:10 AM
Mudding

I can get the Nissens Condenser from FCP Euro as well. Lifetime replacement coverage. That's worth the $164 then.