LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Repair: rear ac lines leaking

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 04:55 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Repair: rear ac lines leaking

I just had my AC system trouble shot after weeks of no AC and failing to find the cause myself. The dealership found that the rear AC lines are leaking, and want almost $1400 to repair it. They say the lines arent damaged they're just leaking though the service advisor isnt sure from where. I'm going to have them show me where it's leaking from.

So my questions are:
If the lines do need to be replaced is it a huge undertaking?
Are there o-rings or packings that can be replaced if it's leaking from a connection?
In regards to servicing this system, is it as simple as using the ac recharge bottles from an auto parts store (napa, autozone, etc...)?

Thank you
-Eric

Old 06-10-2013, 06:44 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The lines themselves are a pretty big job due to the routing. But it is usually the O-rings that leak, and are serviceable separately.

If you open the system, no, do not use a recharge kit. The air in the system needs to be properly evacuated and vacuumed out, then the system charged with the correct amount of oil.

Not to scare you, but I have seen several compressors fail shortly following a leak that was not repaired quickly, as there is no clutch the compressor is always turning, and a lack of oil is a bad thing.

The following users liked this post:
Pwd3 (06-26-2019)
Old 06-10-2013, 10:17 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by roverguy7
The lines themselves are a pretty big job due to the routing. But it is usually the O-rings that leak, and are serviceable separately.

If you open the system, no, do not use a recharge kit. The air in the system needs to be properly evacuated and vacuumed out, then the system charged with the correct amount of oil.

Not to scare you, but I have seen several compressors fail shortly following a leak that was not repaired quickly, as there is no clutch the compressor is always turning, and a lack of oil is a bad thing.
Thanks for the advice, the advisor said it was a labor intensive job due to the routing also. If it does turn out to be an o-ring is this something the dealership could replace or since they're already calling it the lines is that something they just replace instead of saving me money and repairing it?

would you suggest replacing the compressor preemptively to avoid failure? the vehicle has been sitting for the past 7 months while i was deployed, and has only been driven a handful of times and maybe only 200 miles or less since the AC was noticed to be out.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:06 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

You don't need to replace the compressor now, just know why if you need to in the future. The dealership can absolutely replace just the o-rings. If they offered to show you the leak, go back there and see it. The only argument you may hear is that the 'sealing surface of the line is bad, causing the leak' which usually isn't the case. But they may try and tell you that they cannot guarantee the repair if just the o-rings are replaced, which with the difference in cost, I'd be ok with.

Pwd3 (06-26-2019)
Old 06-11-2013, 11:13 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i had the lines snap on me due to the rust. That was a night mare job. If you live in the salt belt its a royal pain in the ***. Those lines are small and plus they can leak from corrosion. You have to separate the frame and take down the exhaust. The worse part was the studs for the lines snapped off and how to be drilled out. That required removing the rear seats and the carpets and trim. If you don't want to fix the lines if they break then buy the lines for the non rear ac vehicle and hook them up.

Pwd3 (06-10-2023)
Old 08-03-2013, 05:14 AM
1st Gear

CoolAirUSA offers the best variety in A/C solutions and services in Miami, Fort Lauderdale and Palm Beach. With our excellent customer care we guarantee 100% satisfaction.

Old 06-27-2019, 04:38 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by roverguy7

So replacing seals didn't fix it despite obvious leak from there. Land rover dealer recommending bypass rear ac altogether and just run with front ac. They say tou have to take body off frame to get to rear lines. Is that true or is there a fiddly way round it?

Old 06-28-2019, 02:35 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

another member here fiddled around it. I think he might have removed the rear diff or something. Cant remember.

Old 06-10-2023, 08:21 AM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pwd3
So replacing seals didn't fix it despite obvious leak from there. Land rover dealer recommending bypass rear ac altogether and just run with front ac. They say tou have to take body off frame to get to rear lines. Is that true or is there a fiddly way round it?
​​​​​​4 yrs later on I thought I would share my 2019 update.. there wasn't really an easy way around having to do a fairly invasive line swap that entailed quite a bit of dismantling. Worth doing though as has been working fine since.