LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to get back up camera?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 12:29 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to get back up camera?

Hey Guys,

Would love to add a back up camera to my 05 SE. I've done some searching and it seems like some folks have tried a GVIF unit and used the nav screen but with marginal results. I probably wouldn't replace the head unit otherwise since I use my phone for audio and google maps anyway, but it is an option. Just curious what others have done. Is there a wireless option that any has done? A 360 deg set up like the lr4 vision package would be amazing, but not sure if an aftermarket one is worth the fuss.

Old 12-09-2018, 12:41 PM
Winching
Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts

I have done this a few times. This is the latest one I did on my 2006 SE that had satnav.

It is not Google maps, but Garmin is pretty good and you get free updates for live.

I have a the Garmin BC-30 wireless backup camera on the upper latch in the same place the LR4 cameras are located and a second onein the front bumper that is powered by a switch in the console I got from Abran

Not the only way to do it but it is a clean install and I like this version of my install.

Garmin GPS with 2 cameras

Jeff

Old 12-15-2018, 10:25 PM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

This conversation touches on a project that I have come to near completion. I began wanting to better utilize the space that my navigation unit was occupying (oem model is simply obsolete and limited in function), and decided to install an iPad Mini in that space. I has a nice flush look, and can be fully integrated into the ignition/shut off of the vehicle. The app capacity of the iPad offers a myriad of navigation, but most importantly can now communicate, bluetooth style, with different devices.....hence a wireless option for rear camera. Here is a product I found while browsing in Costco:

Type S Solar Powered HD Quick-Connect Wireless Backup Camera

This device seems to have almost no labor stress to install, and no technical applications needed. I will be posting some walkthroughs on just how I installed my iPad Mini, as there was some learning points along the way, and this device is one that I want to certainly experiment with to see how easy it is to activate from the iPad when going in reverse. Great question, and also curious to hear about other product suggestions/ideas.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:11 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the idea of a tablet I use Gaia maps a lot and it would be great to have it on a big screen. The only bummer I could see is losing the 4x4 information on the stock screen