LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C1A13 after new AMK installed...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 07:15 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Still an Hitachi compressor?

Originally Posted by jwebb
That's my understanding of the gallery as well. I hope she's not lying to me.. With it being a brand new compressor, I think your right and could be wiring/plugs. I did change the relay when I changed the compressor as well. I'll try to get under it tonight.
When you say, "brand new compressor", I assume that means a new Hitachi compressor and not an AMK? I ask as the AMK does not use all the control/sensor circuits that the Hitachi uses.

Even though the electrical plugs all look the same, there are terminals missing from within the AMK plugs. That is in part why the AMK needs a software flash to make it work properly in the Hitachi speced Land Rovers.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:18 PM
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bbyer
When you say, "brand new compressor", I assume that means a new Hitachi compressor and not an AMK? I ask as the AMK does not use all the control/sensor circuits that the Hitachi uses.

Even though the electrical plugs all look the same, there are terminals missing from within the AMK plugs. That is in part why the AMK needs a software flash to make it work properly in the Hitachi speced Land Rovers.
Correct, it is a new Hitachi. I also forgot to mention I am using a gap diagnostics iidtool for clearing codes, checking live values, and ecu flashes. Didn't get a chance to get under it tonight but earlier today something peculiar also happened. Everything was working as normal, I lowered into access mode then selected normal height using the height control section of the iidtool. Before it could raise it shut the compressor off saying it needed to cool. I checked the live values and both the motor temp and compressor temps weren't even above 100° F.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:31 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default air compressor motor brush temperature sensor

I assume yesterday was a cold day? I am inclined to think if yesterday had been a summer day, that no problem would have shown itself.

As such, I am wondering if there is a problem with the brush temperature sensor within the new compressor. The data below suggests there is a temperature sensor on one of the motor brushes.

At the same time, I wonder where the GAP gets it temperature data from - yes, off the OBD port, but where does the OBD port gets it information?

The info below suggests compressor shutdown temperatures nearer to 300F than 100F - that being for the motor rather than the air I suppose.

What I am wondering is if your compressor has a defective brush temperature sensor that would show good at summer outside air temperatures, but fails in cold weather or when the motor itself is cold.

Also I am saying that there is a difference between motor brush temperature and compressor air temperature. It could be that the shutdown circuits are monitoring motor brush temperature and the GAP, compressor air temperature. If so, then in cold weather, perhaps there could be goofy brush temperature signal being sent to the air suspension module that is then telling the compressor to shut down.

This would be a question for the air compressor supplier if they would communicate with you.

Below is from some Land Rover air system material:

The motor is fitted with a temperature sensor on the brush PCB assembly. The sensor is connected to the air suspension control module which monitors the temperature and can suspend motor operation if an overheat condition occurs.

The temperature sensors located within the compressor protect the compressor from overheating. If the compressor temperature rises above set limits, the air suspension control module will inhibit the compressor operation. These limits are shown in the following table:

Stop Lifting 302F for lifting the vehicle
Stop Filling 284F for filling the reservoir.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:38 AM
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Gap tool shows both a motor temp and compressor temp under the suspension folder. This hasn't happened again so it is being moved down on my list.

I found someone local that bought a 2008 LR3 and immediately swapped in coils. I picked up all his air struts and am going back to pull some valve blocks this week. I replaced the front right strut that was leaking so I have that ruled out. I've also taken all the connections apart and cleaned them with electrical connector cleaner and honestly they all looked good and I am still getting the C1a13-64 code. I am going to swap in the used center valve block in to see if maybe it's the pressure sensor. After that I'll start chasing down all the wiring.

The following users liked this post:
bbyer (02-12-2018)
Old 03-26-2021, 06:59 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jwebb
The Gap tool shows both a motor temp and compressor temp under the suspension folder. This hasn't happened again so it is being moved down on my list.

I found someone local that bought a 2008 LR3 and immediately swapped in coils. I picked up all his air struts and am going back to pull some valve blocks this week. I replaced the front right strut that was leaking so I have that ruled out. I've also taken all the connections apart and cleaned them with electrical connector cleaner and honestly they all looked good and I am still getting the C1a13-64 code. I am going to swap in the used center valve block in to see if maybe it's the pressure sensor. After that I'll start chasing down all the wiring.
Sorry for resurrecting old thread, I have this same error and I had been suspecting center valve. Seems your last post was going to try that...any luck?