LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering joining you all with an LR3!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 07:46 AM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by houm_wa
I'd say the latter. I think our comments apply regardless of mileage and there doesn't seem to be anything magical about 100k miles.
Yeah +1 - it depends. My 06 sport was wonderfully reliable, but my LR3 (only had it 30 days) is had the broken tailgate release cable, leaking water on pass floor problem, and it's starting to do the starter solenoid failure "click" thing. I've fixed all but the starter since that's new, and I don't have time to go under there and fix it this week, apparently it's a PITA job but really cheap in parts costs at least. FWIW my friend has an 06 LR3 SE and it's got 140k on it with zero issues!

As far as your primary question goes... you really need to decide if you want to be a "Land Rover" guy or not. If you want a vehicle that's capable on all fronts AND has a little European style/luxury and a more upscale/rare image, than it's hard to beat these.

If you NEED a vehicle that's totally reliable (like generic ford explorer reliable) and can look at a Jeep GC parked next to an LR3 and have totally neutral thoughts on each.. than you might want to go for the Jeep.

I look at my LRs and see a lot of history, a lot of market "firsts" and a defiance of the "norms" within the segment, namely the styling of the LR3. These vehicles have been the testbeds for tons of new technology.. the DII especially, w/ first 4 wheel traction, variable brake force distribution, hill descent control, etc.. had dual zone climate control, volumetric sensor alarm system, key fob air suspension, blah blah.. back in 99. The LR3 continued this with its hybrid frame design, double wishbone full air suspension, Terrain Response etc.. lots of firsts in that price range and allowed amazing on-road performance for the weight while still allowing nearly an 8klb tow rating.

I tow horses and boats so I'm not even 100% sure I'd want the GC since that year doesn't have self leveling air suspension as an option, and has lower tow ratings and shorter wheelbase. I will tell you that the LR3 (and my previous RRS) tow REALLY REALLY well, while maintaining a "flat" and pinpoint poise like a sports car. The frame and suspension geometry is really incredible.

Anyways I'd probably drive some of them around and get a feel for them, in general GC guys dislike LR3/RRS guys and vise-versa but it's comical to me since by the time you throw in air suspension, a V8, and AWD into a GC (you might still be missing options like a heated windshield, etc..) you're OVER THE INTRO PRICE of an LR4. I think Jeep is pricing themselves out of the market a little, going at-or-beyond the pricing of European competitors.

In any event I don't mind tinkering with these things, but it sounds like that kind of stuff might get frustrating to you. While I'd like to see another happy LR owner added to the "family" - I DON'T want to see another LR hater who sells it a year later and has a life-long bias against the company because he got something that just wasn't right, going in with the wrong expectations.

I just pointed my GF away from a DII even though I love mine.. she would have hated it (but she LOVES driving in mine and going places with the dog, Brit car shows, camping etc.. ) she's the kind of person that needs zero issues and has to have it start/run perfect every time.. and some people don't think about how they'd handle a situation if that's not how it works out lol. I ended up finding her an 06 Jeep Liberty with the 2.8 Diesel for similar price and she loves it.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:03 AM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

Estorilm I completely agree

Funny thing is I used to hate the d1 cause it seemed like I was always working on it, now its done and I love it, off road beast and I did not do much modd wise

Now the wife knows what to expect and for now is accepting of that cause she loves driving the lr3 sooooo much, either you are a rover person or not I guess is what it amounts to

Old 10-16-2014, 01:28 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought by 2007 lr3 HSE few months ago and I love it. It has 80k miles when I bought it from a dealer who had all the service records, which is key to purchasing the LR3. I took it off roading for the first time at Cleghorn with Nwoods, who has a great write up on LR3. Google it. For a stock vehicle, it is amazing. It handle trails that I could not have imagined. It is my everyday ride and it looks great off road and on road. My wife loves it so much that I am thinking of buying another one. It handles the trails and then drives like a sports car down the paved road. What vehicle can do that?

Old 10-16-2014, 11:53 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

Drives like a sports car? C'mon man. The thing is a behemoth...

Old 10-16-2014, 01:17 PM
Baja

it does not have a lot of sway or feel top heavy, air ride keeps it pretty stable imo

not bad for a 2.5 ton truck, besides it doesn't got over bumps it just flattens them

Old 10-16-2014, 03:18 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, you guys have helped me decide. From what you all have said and after looking up a lot of information, I think I would be quite happy with an LR3.

Now for my next question, how to I find one? I live in the SLO area of California and after doing a few searches on autotrader, there is not a lot to choose from unless I search out 200+ miles. I don't mind driving if I have to, just wondering if I should be looking anywhere other than autotrader.

Thanks!

Old 10-16-2014, 07:59 PM
Baja

Craig's list, eBay, local rover club, word of mouth, my 05 I got cheap was a buddies Sgt.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:34 AM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by houm_wa
Drives like a sports car? C'mon man. The thing is a behemoth...
Compared to most SUVs which had retained live-axle till the past few years (talking full size here).. and none of which have air suspension, it does handle quite well FOR ITS CAPABILITIES.

I believe the Touareg was the only other vehicle at the time which had the same tow rating with similar handling.. now the cayenne is matched (as it should be) and I think Q7? But those are the same thing so.

It's very difficult to design a full independent double wishbone style suspension for a 5500lb vehicle.. probably why we blow through control arm bushings all the time lol.

FWIW I think they tuned the LR3 a little more conventional, but my RRS handled incredibly well.. so the capability is there but maybe LR backed off a bit to put the sporty focus on RRS. However when towing, the vehicle tracks, steers, and handles rough roads like a sports car compared to any other SUV/truck I've towed with.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:21 AM
Mudding
Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

I picked up my 08 LR3 HSE (with Rear Locking Diff) this past Spring, with 75,000, 1 owner, and apparently always serviced at the same Land Rover Stealership. It's been 100% reliable. Absolutely no issues. Took it on a fairly serious off road trip in early summer. When I say 'serious', I mean on terrain that caused some cosmetic damage, underneath and on body. Performed amazingly off-road, even with crappy road tires without a lot of tread left. Since purchasing, I started researching what maintenance I might need to perform, and the result is that I will be doing the following, in a few days -

1. New front brakes - rotors, pads and sensors
2. New front inner and outer tie-rods, both sides (followed by Alignment)
3. Brake switch swap out (apparently a good idea)
4. Diff Breather swap out (apparently a good idea)
5. Front right (passenger) side CV half-axle swap out - Boot is split, with grease on nearby parts. $80 from O'Reilly's
6. Replace front diff fluid
7. Replace rear diff fluid
8. Replace transfer case fluid
9. Replace Transmission fluid (Done - Local shop, good price)
10. BG Induction and injection cleaning (At Local independent Land Rover shop)
11. Replace PCV valve
12. Replace Spark Plugs
13. Fresh engine oil
14. New Ignition Capacitor
15. MAF clean
16. Install Block Heater
17. Install battery blanket
18. Winterize it - Grease all hinges, silicone all rubber window and sunroof seals.
19. Full clean and detail inside and out, including clay-bar.
20. Maybe some Winter Tires. Haven't decided yet...

.... Just waiting for a spare part to arrive to fix my air compressor.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:34 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

I don't think you'll need a block heater unless you're leaving it outside...but then again I've never been to Madison, WI. I installed one in mine only because I was taking it to Whitorse, Yukon.

@Nevill: I'd like to hear more about trails that claimed any part of an LR3's body. Do you have pics? I wonder if bigger/better tires and some sliders may've saved your body parts....?

@EstorilM: The statements in your latest post are quite a bit different than the general statement that the LR3 handles "like a sports car." Yes...it's better than the solid-axle counterparts out there, but it's not anything like a sports car. My other vehicle is a new Q50S (the "S" is the sport variant) and I still don't consider it to be a sports car...that said, it handles way WAY differently than the LR3. ....or the RRS for that matter.

$hit ain't close...

Last edited by houm_wa; 10-17-2014 at 10:37 PM.