LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EAS Woes....solved?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 03:55 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts
Default EAS Woes....solved?

Guys,

I want to share my EAS saga with you to see if anyone has observed anything like this before and/or can make a theory as to what has happened.

Two years ago I replaced the air strut in the front passenger corner. It also appeared that the sensor was out-of-calibration. Replaced that and the wiring harness on the other side. Land Rover could not calibrate it with IDS. With help from the GAP Team, I calibrated it at my house. It was way out of range and the folks at GAP thought that the bracket may be bent. I wasn’t sure, but it was calibrated and happy so away I went.

Fast forward to last month. Two years and probably about 12,000 miles later. My EAS compressor had shown signs of wearing out, but it was alive and kicking. One day before a big (overlanding trip) I had that same corner sensor go out-of-cal and I got a cross-articulation fault, after the LR3 thought it was in Extended Mode and could never figure out where to be; compressor kept operating but the vehicle never stabilized. I changed the sensor and went on the trip. Was fine for a while. On the way back I got a different fault that seemed to point at the compressor, I believe it said Also stated that the gallery pressure was rising too slowly (or something like that). I decided to change out the compressor. On my way to the shop (or maybe the day before) I got the same message about the sensor. The guys at the dealer shop changed the compressor and after two tries the sensor took a calibration. Good to go….until last Monday. I got the same thing. Cross-articulation fault, if I recall correctly this time it was on the driver’s side, front. The dealer shop this time found that the bracket in the passenger side front wheel well was slightly bent (just like the GAP folks said!) and they replaced both sensors. The vehicle took a calibration on the first try (this time) and seems okay.

So…what the heck? I have my theories but want to hear yours.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:36 PM
4wd High
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you continue to think like you've thought, you'll get what you've got...

A problematic EAS system. Hense your "EAS SAGA" will continue as you throw money, parts and most important valuable time at it. It's a never ending circle of failure, that repeats itself more rapidly as it ages.

Sad but true.

Exactly why I advise to convert to coil overs. Reliable. NO more codes. $1,000 if you Do It Yourself. All problems gone.

As for articulation... Each corner has the same travel it had before. Jacking the car up one will find it raises the same amount before wheel lift.

All wheel drive and traction continue to work flawless via ABS sensors etc...

To each his own, but others reading this post, there is light on the other side, and the LR3 is a pleasure to drive "Coiled Over". :-)

Good luck Houm that your latest repair ($$) will give you many months of trouble free driving and wheeling.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:08 PM
Camel Trophy

I thought this was your last post:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...n-73855/page3/

I'll keep the cross-link valving and EAS. For better or worse. Thanks.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:15 PM
4wd High
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, you are indeed married to your EAS... "For better or worse"... till death do you part. :-)

I check in from time to time as I'm into "ALL" things auto, and saw your post. Couldn't help myself from chiming in.

With EAS... Once you replace the compressor, and sensors... and still have issues... I'd be inclined to replace the front/rear air relief valves. They are a do it yourself item, and luckily one of the cheaper components of the EAS. Carefully inspect all air lines for weathering and or replace what you can... and then you should expect 3-4 years of problem free EAS operation. I've read the air relief valves can leak and cause many symptoms your experiencing. I know you've already replaced an air strut shock... but many say they are the LAST component of the EAS to leak or go bad.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:42 PM
Camel Trophy

Thanks for the thoughtful response.

You are correct, I have one new air strut and am thinking of doing the other 3 and the valve blocks you mention next year, just to "re-invigorate" my suspension. The tech checked for symptoms of leaking in my EAS, there were none. Also, if you look at the progression of issues and fixes, the only thing that is difficult to explain is why after 2 years my sensor calibration (with a suspect bent bracket) finally gave up. The other things are fairly straight forward. When the compressor was installed I'd already suspected a bad calibration or sensor. It took a calibration but only after two tries. With IDS....that points to a sub-optimal calibration at best. So the second round of faults was not surprising. Regardless, with the bent bracket righted, and 2 new sensors and a fresh calibration, I'm hoping it's behind me.