LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended and Super Extended Mode

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 10:41 AM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Extended and Super Extended Mode

I have seen the various videos and posts about accessing the extended and super extended EAS modes by using a block of wood to simulate being high centered and wanted to give it a try just to see how high the system really does raise.

I placed a block under the center frame while in off road setting then lowered and when the frame hit the block I got the 'extended mode' come up. I got out of the vehicle and measured the height compared to 'off road' and it was the same????

I then put my foot on the brake and held the raise lever and heard the chime to indicate 'super extended' mode was active and to my surprise the vehicle actually dropped down onto the block.

I tried to cycle it a few times but could not get it to raise up off the block.

I simply drove off the block, turned off the ignition, left it for 30 minutes and came back and tried again and the exact same thing happened.

I also found out how may time you can cycle the system before the overheat warning comes up .

Has anyone else tried this and did they manage to get into extended and super extended modes??

Old 01-29-2018, 11:42 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

I did the same thing....years ago...I think I put the block under the main frame rail on either side though....shouldn't matter. Worked just fine for me. Where were you measuring height from?

Old 01-29-2018, 12:01 PM
Mudding

Measured front and rear - height from the ground to the bottom of the wheel arch at the center point of the wheels

just done the entire process again and this time I got the following results

Front
Off Road 34.5"
Extended 34.5"
Super Extended 35"

Rear
Off Road 35.5"
Extended 35.5"
Super Extended 37"

Tried it again after this and same as other times when it says its extended it drops lower than Off Road and was again sat on the block

Measurement at the front and it was 34", hence why it was on the block as it only has about .5" clearance

Old 01-29-2018, 02:18 PM
Camel Trophy

Well you are dropping it onto a block so I'd expect it to be lower than (it was) in Off-road height, at least initially. Seems that it would then go as high as it thinks is necessary to clear the obstruction. Perhaps the nature of the block setup gets it only to the levels you are seeing at Extended but then the forcing of it into Super Extended gets you the extra height, as expected.

Just a theory. Can you try different blocks?

Old 01-30-2018, 04:56 AM
Mudding

my understanding is the system has pre-set heights, but if not the system is not actually clearing the 'obstacle' as I cant move the block at all. The only way I can do this each tie I've tried is to actually drive the vehicle forward or back, not a problem when in a garage and its one block of 2x4, but if i was out on a trail and high centered, the EAS should be raising itself up.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:50 AM
Camel Trophy

Yeah I'm just thinking out-loud myself. Last time I tried this it worked a treat. Then I got the IIDTool and saved a taller setting and never thought about this again.

I've been in Extended Height since then, in situ, but didn't really consider the height difference much.