LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few little electric issues on my LR3.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Many alarm switch devices ground the wire when activated. So - if skinned wire is touching (also called a "rub") metal, could do this. What does it do if you leave it unplugged?

Old 11-28-2012, 09:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Replace Brake Light Switch

Per the link below, install a new brake light switch and install all new genuine Land Rover tail light bulbs. Back in 2006, LR was installing new trannys because the owner had installed a non genuine tail light bulb. The false error messages, and that is what you are getting, are generated by the engine computer, not the tranny.

In addition to the bulbs, more common now is just that the Brake Light Switch has deteriorated - it appears to work OK but the second set of Normally Closed contacts to the ABS and computers has been fouled by the Brake Light Normally Open contacts.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - Brake Light Switch Replacement

Old 11-29-2012, 09:24 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bbyer
Per the link below, install a new brake light switch and install all new genuine Land Rover tail light bulbs. Back in 2006, LR was installing new trannys because the owner had installed a non genuine tail light bulb. The false error messages, and that is what you are getting, are generated by the engine computer, not the tranny.

In addition to the bulbs, more common now is just that the Brake Light Switch has deteriorated - it appears to work OK but the second set of Normally Closed contacts to the ABS and computers has been fouled by the Brake Light Normally Open contacts.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - Brake Light Switch Replacement
Thanks. I will try it. It seems crazy that a brake light could be the culprit for tranny fault. But I will try it. Thanks again

Old 11-29-2012, 09:32 AM
Pro Wrench
Default At least your 3 starts.

If you had a Toyota with a brake light switch problem, it does not start so I think we are better off just looking at nasty scary messages. On the other hand, for Toyota owners, the goofy brake light switch is a recall so....

Toyota Recalls Nearly 700,000 Vehicles for Potential Brake Light and Air-Bag Failures - NYTimes.com

Old 12-10-2013, 05:52 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Country
Okay, now what? I got a new hood switch from British Atlantic (great folks!) and a new battery. I'm still having the same issues. "Bonnet Open" message flashes up about every 20-30 seconds. Periodically each time I drive it I get the "Transmission Fault!" messaage. The transmission works fine, with one exception: The "D" on the shifter remains lit all of the time, even when in park. I get no response when I shift into Sport mode.
Did you ever find out the reason for the D on the shifter staying lit?

Old 12-11-2013, 06:05 AM
8th Gear
Unhappy

Nothing....it is still exactly the same..."bonnet open" "transmission fault", sport mode inoperable

Old 12-11-2013, 09:36 AM
Pro Wrench
Default Pour coffee on the shifter?

One thing that messes up the electronics is pouring coffee or other liquids on either the switches or shifter; the electronic stuff mounted on the centre consul.

For starters however, I would disconnect the connector to the hood switch and ground the two pins together. That for certain should show as a bonnet concern - yes it does now, but then disconnecting the jumper should eliminate the warning - which it does not apparently.

I would then try to follow the bonnet wiring cable as far as I could to see if it appears damaged - shorted together, that sort of thing.

With the D light always illuminated and the sport function not working, I would be suspicious of the shifter switches myself - due to fluid ingress.