LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High/low switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2021, 07:37 AM
Overlanding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Funny timing.....I just had the same issue and performed the same fix. Worked for me as well. Nice job documenting it.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...-4-low-104598/

The following users liked this post:
lonaman (03-13-2021)
Old 09-24-2021, 04:26 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem how do you get to the switch to clean it

Old 09-24-2021, 04:29 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by lonaman
I was able to remove and clean the switch without having to buy the entire $300 part, number YUD501590WUXG. First, I removed the gear shifter. Next, I removed the console. This is tricky as you have to be firm to get it out, but it is almost entirely plastic so be careful so you do not break any of the clips. Once removed, there are 2 screws that hold the cover to the electronic board. Once the screws are removed, you can pull the cover off and reveal the back side of the electronic board. I then pried the electronic board out of the console with a small screwdriver. Be careful, there are 4 white plastic plungers, one on the top and bottom of each switch, that can fall out easily. These plungers activate the electronic board when you press the switch. On my board, there was some sticky substance, like coffee or soda that had seeped through to the top of the electronic board. I simply wiped the board clean, particularly under the little rubber covers, with alcohol wipes and put everything back together. Problem solved!

Console removed from vehicle.

Back of console.

Bottom side of electronic board with back of console removed.

Bottom side of switch with electronic board removed.

Small white plungers that can easily fall out.

Top of electronic board that needed to be cleaned with alcohol wipe, especially under the rubber pushers.
How do you remove the circuit board

Old 09-24-2021, 05:00 PM
8th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Uhhh... Read the post?

The following users liked this post:
houm_wa (09-24-2021)
Old 05-06-2023, 01:09 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by lonaman
I was able to remove and clean the switch without having to buy the entire $300 part, number YUD501590WUXG. First, I removed the gear shifter. Next, I removed the console. This is tricky as you have to be firm to get it out, but it is almost entirely plastic so be careful so you do not break any of the clips. Once removed, there are 2 screws that hold the cover to the electronic board. Once the screws are removed, you can pull the cover off and reveal the back side of the electronic board. I then pried the electronic board out of the console with a small screwdriver. Be careful, there are 4 white plastic plungers, one on the top and bottom of each switch, that can fall out easily. These plungers activate the electronic board when you press the switch. On my board, there was some sticky substance, like coffee or soda that had seeped through to the top of the electronic board. I simply wiped the board clean, particularly under the little rubber covers, with alcohol wipes and put everything back together. Problem solved!

Console removed from vehicle.

Back of console.

Bottom side of electronic board with back of console removed.

Bottom side of switch with electronic board removed.

Small white plungers that can easily fall out.

Top of electronic board that needed to be cleaned with alcohol wipe, especially under the rubber pushers.
looks like i have the same problem, i am stuck in low range and both Hi and Low lights are on. I am unable to change to high range and get the Transfer range change not available message..going to clean the connectors on the ECU modul behind the battery today and than remove the center panel to clean the switch and all the other mess... Unfortunaly they powerwashed my engine (LR3 2005 V8) and ever since i had that message coming on and yesterday it finaly got stuck in low range...wishme luck, i hope your post helps i have no dealer close to me ... stuck in Mexico Cabo San Lucas

Old 05-06-2023, 02:30 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 776 Likes on 650 Posts

I just took mine apart today. But for ride hight issue after cleaning my console. Would go up, but no response for lowering. In my case I had corrosion. I had to flow solder on the old contacts to help restore things. Works great now. Pic below shows healthy contact on left, what I saw on right. Restoration is the bottom pic. Glad I like taking the console apart for a deep cleaning every year anyway. Camping/dog sure make a mess of it.

Last edited by DakotaTravler; 05-06-2023 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-06-2023, 05:13 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Customlr3
How do you remove the circuit board
worked like a charm thank you so much for this post it fixed my problem in less than 2 hours after cleaning the Transfer modul behind the battery as well- i highy appreciate your help

Last edited by Gigi62; 05-06-2023 at 05:16 PM.