LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The less loved Ford 4.0L V6

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 06:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pictures of this stage???

Originally Posted by DerChamp
Thank you enb54 for all your input, the LR3 V6 runs again!!

Everyone must pay special attention to: "5. You must install the flex plate by first ensuring the engine is set to #1 cylinder at TDC on compression stroke, if this is not done correctly the engine will not run and you will be removing the engine to fix it again!"

This was in fact the problem after half a year of denial the engine came back out and the error was discovered. Pictures will follow
Hello mate, do you have picture of flex plate setting? I pulled mine off without taking note of its position

Old 03-01-2021, 10:12 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by shawa12002@yahoo.com
Hello mate, do you have picture of flex plate setting? I pulled mine off without taking note of its position
There is a photo at post 49 in this https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...ild-kit-93456/ thread, note the position of the scraper/screwdriver in the camshaft slots on the left bank, the right bank camshaft slots (front of engine) have to be the same when engine cylinder #1 is at TDC compression stroke. Get this wrong and you'll be pulling the engine to get it right. Read post #44 in the previously mentioned thread for more specific instructions, actually the whole thread documents my journey relocating the 2008 Ranger engine to the LR3. Good luck and happy Ford Cologne V6!

Last edited by enb54; 03-01-2021 at 10:59 AM. Reason: add post #44
Old 03-06-2021, 08:12 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately I don't have any photos of the flex plate; but enb54 has quoted his photo that was a big help for us getting it sorted. I have also attached a chart of all the Ford 4.0L engines that are/may be potential candidates for this swap. This chart lists all the Ford model years, head and block casting numbers for the 4.0L V6 from 1997 until 2011. This may help some on the hunt for a used or remanufactured Ford engine. I am now having the engine fitted with an LPG conversion kit to make it dual-fuel by Adam at www.jkoshgroup.com in Mississauga ON. Photos of finished product to come.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Ford4.0LV6.pdf (112.3 KB, 121 views)
Old 10-14-2022, 08:10 PM
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Thanks ENB54

Please see attached PDF file at bottom of post for adapter drawing.

I'd like to squeeze in here at the end and thank the forum for doing this thread! I had a failed LR3 4.0 where the valves hit the pistons and broke through and bent #1 piston rod. Total carnage. After searching for a solution, I found enb54's threads and quickly/easily found an 80k ranger 4x4 engine for $500. Changed all timing components with ford OEM from a dealer.

I'd like to share some quick tips and the adapter for the drivers side mount I designed. I wish I could upload the autocad DWG file or the waterjet file here but doesn't look to be accepted.

TIPS:
Rangers, 4X4 or not, did not have the balance shaft so I had to transplant the balance shaft from the LR3 engine to the ranger engine. The oil ports for the balance shaft are in the ranger engine, they are just simply plugged with threaded torx plugs. I removed those and installed the balance shaft on the ranger engine (holes are there and threaded). I know there's debate about needing it vs deleting it but I didn't want to find out. So, YES, you can balance shaft and non-balance shaft engine. BTW, after 3 weeks of driving the LR3 with the ranger engine, it is so very smooth.

Next was the drivers side motor mount. I was about the make the mount enb54 made but I thought Id investigate the machine shops resolve in the matter. I designed a plate that hit all the ranger mounting bolt holes on the drivers side and transposed the LR3 mount holes over that in autocad. I water jetted the plate out and tapped the holes M10x1.5 (see drawing). After making this plate, I had .25 inches removed from the LR3 mount on a mill. It all worked perfectly. I hope this adapter helps someone that is doing this conversion. Once the adapter is made, you can install a Ranger/Explorer engine no problem.

For anyone else doing this in future, the directions on page 1 "The Less Loved Ford 4.0L V6," the index hole on the flex plate must be inline with the alignment pin in the passengers side (pic below).

Also, the Tap thread for the oil sensor in the girdle or ladder or upper oil pan is M20x1.5.

This conversion was finished a few weeks ago and has been perfect so far. No problems, easy conversion and runs great!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LR3 MOUNT ADAPTER FINISHED.pdf (223.1 KB, 38 views)
The following users liked this post:
SeattleDriver (10-16-2022)
Old 10-15-2022, 02:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 👏🏾👏🏾 Well Done

MPKINNEY
excellent work thanks for sharing.
I would also like to add that I have a contact with 2 brand new ford sub assemblies.
Feel free to get intouch if anyone needs one

Originally Posted by MPKINNEY
Please see attached PDF file at bottom of post for adapter drawing.

I'd like to squeeze in here at the end and thank the forum for doing this thread! I had a failed LR3 4.0 where the valves hit the pistons and broke through and bent #1 piston rod. Total carnage. After searching for a solution, I found enb54's threads and quickly/easily found an 80k ranger 4x4 engine for $500. Changed all timing components with ford OEM from a dealer.

I'd like to share some quick tips and the adapter for the drivers side mount I designed. I wish I could upload the autocad DWG file or the waterjet file here but doesn't look to be accepted.

TIPS:
Rangers, 4X4 or not, did not have the balance shaft so I had to transplant the balance shaft from the LR3 engine to the ranger engine. The oil ports for the balance shaft are in the ranger engine, they are just simply plugged with threaded torx plugs. I removed those and installed the balance shaft on the ranger engine (holes are there and threaded). I know there's debate about needing it vs deleting it but I didn't want to find out. So, YES, you can balance shaft and non-balance shaft engine. BTW, after 3 weeks of driving the LR3 with the ranger engine, it is so very smooth.

Next was the drivers side motor mount. I was about the make the mount enb54 made but I thought Id investigate the machine shops resolve in the matter. I designed a plate that hit all the ranger mounting bolt holes on the drivers side and transposed the LR3 mount holes over that in autocad. I water jetted the plate out and tapped the holes M10x1.5 (see drawing). After making this plate, I had .25 inches removed from the LR3 mount on a mill. It all worked perfectly. I hope this adapter helps someone that is doing this conversion. Once the adapter is made, you can install a Ranger/Explorer engine no problem.

For anyone else doing this in future, the directions on page 1 "The Less Loved Ford 4.0L V6," the index hole on the flex plate must be inline with the alignment pin in the passengers side (pic below).

Also, the Tap thread for the oil sensor in the girdle or ladder or upper oil pan is M20x1.5.

This conversion was finished a few weeks ago and has been perfect so far. No problems, easy conversion and runs great!

Old 10-15-2022, 02:15 AM
Mudding
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Nicely done! I like the engine mount adapter plate...

Old 10-15-2022, 08:13 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

MCKINNEY, thanks for the elegant solution, I saved my original motor mount, so all I need to do is remove 0.25" and can use your informative pdf to develop that beautiful adapter. I have Solidworks and successfully used it to get a local laser cutting machine shop to build an adapter for my antique 1974 Honda CB125 front disk brake caliper. Thanks again also for the pictures and additional information, this site and all the folks on it were a great help to me...
Eric...