LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My LR3 stinks! Water inside.

Old 12-06-2018, 07:25 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Im in Norcal and have to blow my sunroof drains out every winter when the rains start, sometimes twice. If its the sunroof drain it will backup into your passenger seat floorboard if the car is facing downhill and passenger rear seat and headliner if facing uphill.

I've pulled the whole system about to check for leaks. And the prior owner must have already cut the nipple off. The tube is just really, really sensitive to gunk. What I do now is take it over to a gas station with an air hose, pull the vent off on the passenger side and blow air into the tube with the sunroof open. It shoots a bunch of water and gunk all over the place (and into the interior) but it keeps it dry for 6 months until I need to do it again.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:48 PM
Geo
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Ordered the left and right trim finishers and the lower cowl a few days ago from Lucky8. Taped the trim to the windshield with electrical tape....rained pretty hard yesterday and today.
Parts arrived today. But found lots of water in the passenger side again.....so, like everyone said, I’ll check the sunroof drains and the elbows and then replace the trim pieces ASAP. Should have thrown a tarp over it
Getting tired of all of that water out! Pulled about a gallon or so out this evening.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:50 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 708 Likes on 596 Posts

You could have taped the sunroof also.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:03 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts
Old 12-06-2018, 09:23 PM
Geo
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks! I’m mainly just b@tching. I don’t really have a choice but fix it. Was hoping it wasn’t the sunroof. Going on an off roading/camping trip tomorrow and will likely sleep inside as it might hit freezing temps.

I used the shop vac to blow out the wiring trough and spend a good amount of time on the connectors as I don’t want it to start acting up.

Rain has passed fortunately.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:33 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo
Thanks Abran. That saves me a lot of work. The drains have been done at least once already by the dealer. I also found a bunch of water in the rear passenger side, like Jeff.
im not familiar with leaky cowl, will have to search that topic.
I did have the windshield replaced this year. I asked them specifically to make sure to seal it well, as I had read about leaky replacements. I’ll dig in to the drains and dry out the wiring channel really well. I may even put some dielectric grease on any connectors I find to prevent future issues.
Tempted to temporarily seal up the sunroof as I never open it

Is it worth paying someone to do the drains who has done it a bunch of times? I usually spend many hours researching and them doing it, at some point it’s not cost effective.

I am working on the passenger side sun roof drain tube. I have only had limited daylight to work with. I purchased the 12mm push to connect connector but ended up not using it. The new drain tube I purchased off of eBay came with a white plastic piece that was not on the original I took off. I cut the tube around the white plastic piece and just stuck it in the exposed drain tube. It has been a pain so far.

I got the tube in, and will add some silicone to keep it firm where I want it. Before you start the process (I would recommend paying someone). Make sure your passenger seat is all the way back. Also if you go the push to connect method you can put a little vaseline on the tube to help it squeeze in there. It’s a really tight fit and there is a good YouTube video on how to do it (makes it look real easy).

Tomorrow I am hoping to get the fuse box back in.

A dehumidifier works works awesome on getting the water out. Just fold the backseats down and plug one up. It really helps get the water out of the carpets.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:56 AM
Drifting

You can see the plastic on the new piece shown by the red arrow. The one I received had a small plastic tube that went up where the red lines are drawn. I simply stripped the hose off of the new piece where the red lines are, and stuck it in the old drain line. Much easier this way, and a great fit. You can add some adhesive to ensure a good seal.

Old 12-07-2018, 11:43 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

@geo and @thebruce

Do you guys keep your Rover in the garage or outside? Sorry if I've asked this before...

Old 12-07-2018, 06:05 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 708 Likes on 596 Posts

Do not use vaseline.

Just use a push connector. That nylon insert is a one-time fit onto the tube.

Old 12-07-2018, 11:57 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
Do not use vaseline.

Just use a push connector. That nylon insert is a one-time fit onto the tube.

Well now you tell me

Guess I will be the guinea pig for what I tried. I just plugged in the rear connectors on the back of the fuse box this evening, and I’m not doing that again anytime soon (was a really tight fit).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My LR3 stinks! Water inside.