LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some Help. Really Confused bout Differential Fluid Capacity!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 07:46 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

BG diff fluid takes the place of all of it. The sell it by the quart for a quarter for the dealer wants. I know cause we stopped using the regular stuff except for warrantee purpose. We just went to the bg cause it was easier. One fluid instead of twenty different types.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:59 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Fill to the plugs.

There have been many discussions related to how much oil to put in the differentials. The consensus is ignore the written LR material and fill as one would any other differential - that is to the plugs.

The other rule is to undo the fill plug before you remove the drain plug. For some reason the fill plugs can be near impossible to remove and the drain plugs almost fall out - Land Rover I guess!

As to why LR has what I call the the partial fill instructions, I expect it is something to do with ECO oil related recycle issues, something like the tranny filled for life foolishness.

Alternatively, maybe the designer and manufacturer of our differentials etc, Dana Spicer of Toledo Ohio, USA could provide an answer we might understand. In the mean time, fill to the fill plug as with any other differential. The link below uses the term axles, but in our case that also refers to the front and rear differentials.

http://dana.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=51

Dana Corporation Providing Front and Rear Axles, Hydroformed Frame for New Land Rover LR3
Toledo, Ohio -- Jan 12, 2005 -- Dana Corporation (NYSE: DCN) announced today that it has begun supplying front and rear axles, as well as the full-perimeter, hydroformed frame, for the 2005 Land Rover LR3 premium sport-utility vehicle.
The axles feature Dana’s Advan TEK®design, which offers best-in-class noise, vibration, and harshness levels; improved fuel economy; and greater durability. The improvements were accomplished through the use of Dana’s proprietary gear geometry, special bearing design, and advanced assembly processes. The axles will be assembled at a Dana operation in Birmingham, England, located near the Land Rover vehicle assembly plant in Solihull.
“Dana’s product design innovations and advanced manufacturing processes played key roles in winning this important business with Land Rover,” said Dana Chairman and CEO Michael J. Burns. “We believe such technologies give our customers’ vehicles unique characteristics that will provide a great driving experience.”
The new Land Rover LR3 also features Dana hydroformed frames, representing the company’s first hydroforming business in Europe. The frames, provided by the Dana and GKN joint venture Chassis Systems Limited, are being manufactured using Dana’s patented Robo Clampähydroforming process. This process is specifically designed to extend the attributes of high-pressure hydroforming to high-tonnage, long-bed applications by reducing equipment and tooling investment, as well as operational costs. Dana’s proprietary Robo Clamp design is also more flexible and compact, compared to traditional hydroforming equipment.
“The use of Dana’s hydroformed frames, in combination with our Advan TEK axles, provides Land Rover with enhanced product durability and the luxury performance that is synonymous with the Land Rover brand,” said Mike Laisure, president, Automotive Systems Group. “We are delighted to grow our European business with Land Rover, which was already a longstanding customer.
“The vehicle’s all-new architecture not only creates the foundation for benchmark ride and handling, but it also better absorbs crash energy. Performance gains are evident through greatly improved NVH and the retention of off-road capability and durability,” added Laisure.
Dana and its subsidiaries also provide components for the LR3 engine, including bearings and composite cam covers on the V-8 gasoline version and the piston rings on the I-5 diesel.
Dana Corporation is a global leader in the design, engineering, and manufacture of value-added products and systems for automotive, commercial, and off-highway vehicles. Delivering on a century of innovation, the company's continuing operations employ approximately 45,000 people worldwide dedicated to advancing the science of mobility. Founded in 1904 and based in Toledo, Ohio, Dana operates technology, manufacturing, and customer-service facilities in 30 countries. Dana’s Internet address is Dana Holding Corp..

This links to a pdf that shows both our front and rear differentials which they call out as of the Clam Shell design.
http://www.dana.com/wps/wcm/connect/...df?MOD=AJPERES

Old 09-27-2012, 10:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
BG diff fluid takes the place of all of it. The sell it by the quart for a quarter for the dealer wants. I know cause we stopped using the regular stuff except for warrantee purpose. We just went to the bg cause it was easier. One fluid instead of twenty different types.
The BG Ultra-Guard?
BG Products, Inc.

and no problems in rear locker?

i found 5 shops within 10 miles so getting some shouldn't be tough
BG Findashop - Search for an authorized BG service center near you!

Old 03-22-2019, 09:21 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Workshop manual

Originally Posted by threalassmikeg
Workshop manual says exactly what you stated.

edited for incorrect info

Hi
Could you point me to where I can find the workshop manual for the 2006 Range Rover Sport?
Thanks