LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil cooler, oil filter adapter assembly

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 10:46 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Oil cooler, oil filter adapter assembly

I damaged my oil cooler on our lr3 4.4 when it slipped off of the jack. It is leaking coolant and has a slight oil leak between the mating of the oil cooler and the oil filter assembly.

Question. How do the oil cooler and oil filter assembly attach to each other? What o-rings are need upon reassembly. After market cooler, oem style are $30. Land Rover part is $450. Any reason not to use an aftermarket part. Does the threaded tube connect the oil cooler to the oil filter assembly. If so how do you unscrew it. Seems simple enough but I can’t find any write ups on it and the exploded diagrams are very basic. Thanks. Phil

(Both air shocks installed on front. Seem fully functional. They filled with air and raise and lower perfectly. I haven’t driven it yet due to oil cooler issue).

Old 09-08-2019, 12:52 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

There is an o ring that looks like a figure 8. I think it’s 3 10mm bolts that mount the cooler flat onto the block. No experience with aftermarket.

Old 09-09-2019, 06:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Yes, the figure 8 gasket goes between the oil filter adapter and the block. I need the ring between the oil cooler and the oil filter adopter. Looks like there is a short pipe that has a torx or hex female end that is used to tighten the oil cooler to the oil filter adapter. I need the gasket that goes between the oil cooler and the oil filter adapter. Thanks. Phil

Old 09-09-2019, 07:16 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 715 Likes on 601 Posts

Personally I would rather find a used OEM than go aftermarket for such a vital thing. Obviously new being best option. I wonder if the same part is used on some other vehicle, meaning maybe it can be found for a lot less. Much like many other LR3 parts.

Old 09-09-2019, 07:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I found a couple of oem parts at the local salvage yards near the border. $50 to $70. Heading down at lunch tomorrow. Phil

Old 09-10-2019, 11:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I picked up a used oil cooler from a local salvage yard. I was going to buy the whole assembly, oil filter assembly and the oil cooler but the guy didn’t understand and only pulled the oil cooler should have gotten both. The shaft that connects the two parts takes. 17mm Allen socket. I had the check three stores before I found one. $32. Installed the replacement oil cooler. I couldn’t find my hose tool so Getting the two coolants lines off of the damaged oil cooler was a pain in the tail. Other than that the install was pretty easy.

I didn’t bleed the coolant, big mistake. As I was out taking a victory lap, the temp jumped up. I pulled over and evidently had a big air pocket. Added more coolant. Started it up and five minutes later the same thing happened again. Added more coolant and that seemed to do the trick. These trucks can spike in temp fast. Always be careful to properly bleed, burp the system.

The LR3 needs a new water pump. The fun never stops. Phil

Old 05-12-2020, 05:34 AM
Mudding
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi, did you ever find the gasket that's not the figure 8? I have the same issue with the leak and am having a hard time finding the gasket. Please take a look at the pic and give advice. By the way I'm missing La Jolla, used to live there for a long time a lifetime ago. Probably the best place on earth.

The leak I'm talking about is on the far left of the pic. Is this the figure 8 or something else?

Old 05-12-2020, 08:25 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I believe that I bought the figure 8 gasket from the local Land Rover dealer. Phil

Old 12-02-2020, 12:42 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ljdiscovery
17mm Allen socket. I had the check three stores before I found one. $32.
Next time you need a large Allen socket just use a bolt with the same size Allen and jam two nuts together . . . . you probably have this stuff in your parts bin.

To continue the inquiry, does anyone have a line on the o-ring in the picture. I can not find any reference to it anywhere. It has a flange that is held by the ears of the oil cooler so a regular 0-ring will not work.

Thanks in advance.

I need the o-ring indicated here.