LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Things to look at on delivery?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 10:12 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Things to look at on delivery?

Put down the fee to have an '06 LR3 SE transfered to Calif with CARMAX. Should be delivered within 28days. Since I have some time to get my thoughts and concerns in order before I take delivery, what should I be looking at when I take delivery? The pics are very clean, no damage, interior is nice. Everything I've seen and read is that CARMAX is a relatively good option. Speaking LR3 specific what should I be concerned about? Look to sign block for truck specs.

Last edited by NomadRover; 06-21-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:09 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Newbie with similar question

My first post so forgive me if my forum etiquette is off. I want to purchase a used LR3 (2007 or 2008) and I am considering going the CarMax route. Their prices seem to be significantly lower than my local dealers here in the Dallas area. Please let us know how your experience turns out. To anybody else out there, any tips on what years may be better than others with regard to reliability? What other items should I be careful about?

Old 06-22-2010, 03:22 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by GWDRoverTX
My first post so forgive me if my forum etiquette is off. I want to purchase a used LR3 (2007 or 2008) and I am considering going the CarMax route. Their prices seem to be significantly lower than my local dealers here in the Dallas area. Please let us know how your experience turns out. To anybody else out there, any tips on what years may be better than others with regard to reliability? What other items should I be careful about?
So far I've been very impressed with CARMAX. I wanted very specific things in the truck, so their search options helped quite a bit. Wanting 3rd row seating, 8cyl, heated seats, nav system and tow hitch narrowed it down to 2 trucks. I also looked at the local LR dealer. The only had a 2 year newer LR3 that was about $10k more, with less options. I was very leery about paying $850 to transfer a truck that I couldn't see, but I think CARMAX is a big enough operation that it should be a safe bet. You are not obligated to buy the vehicle, but you do not get the fee back if you don't buy. If you do it, ask very exact questions so that if it gets to you and is not what you expected, you can get your trans fee back. The only bad thing so far is the estimated 28day transfer from TN to CA. W
aiting is terrible. CARMAX' warranty looks good too.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:57 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Its a load of BS. Its the same as a used car dealer and best part is if you got a problem they won't help you when the dealer makes you pay for everything.

Look up a LR certified vehicle. We cover everything and more. Do they tell you how much they cover for brakes. If 4 mm is left do they replace or let you take it. Do they replace the rotors or just do a pad slap. What is the odds the tires are all the same and more importantly are the parts working. Plus these techs don't know how to work anything. Do you think they care no. And do you think the salesperson is going to teach you anything. Its screw you all the way home.

Look at LR certified. We guarantee everything and we teach you everything as well. You would better off with a private purchase then these guys.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:06 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
Its a load of BS. Its the same as a used car dealer and best part is if you got a problem they won't help you when the dealer makes you pay for everything.

Look up a LR certified vehicle. We cover everything and more. Do they tell you how much they cover for brakes. If 4 mm is left do they replace or let you take it. Do they replace the rotors or just do a pad slap. What is the odds the tires are all the same and more importantly are the parts working. Plus these techs don't know how to work anything. Do you think they care no. And do you think the salesperson is going to teach you anything. Its screw you all the way home.

Look at LR certified. We guarantee everything and we teach you everything as well. You would better off with a private purchase then these guys.

Do you have any recommendations on particular years to stay away from or certain years that have had the fewest problems?

Old 06-24-2010, 06:36 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Anything 07 and above is good including the LR2. We cleaned up alot of problems and issues. 10 is different cause its first year. 09 is good but no maintenance package like everything before that.

Ironically the numbers sold dropped as time went on so the older it is the less it will actually go for.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:37 AM
Mudding

I don't really like Carmax nowadays. I bought a vehicle there a few years ago, and it was like new (Jeep), and the price was fair.

But now, the vehicles seem rough, and the sales people are rude. But, maybe that's just mine. Maybe you found a diamond in the rough.