LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer Case Royal Purple Oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 04:21 PM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
Genuine Land Rover with the "Gore-Tex"logo on it?
Yep, sure does.

The following users liked this post:
JUKE179r (09-18-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 07:50 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spannermonkey
Front diff and transfer case both changed this weekend and both perfectly normal. That's good as it shows the noise is not likely to be any significant wear in either of the diffs or the transfer case as there was nothing on the diff plugs or the transfer case which I put a magnet on. I've also check the carrier bearing again today and no play there. So the bad news is I still don't know what is causing the noise and its getting worse, pretty much constant now.

I don't think its a wheel bearing as its just not got the traditional symptoms of that, but I'll check them all next weekend.
Did you ever figure out what was causing the humm humm humm?

Old 09-18-2018, 04:53 AM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, It turned out to be a front hub in the end. After several oil changes of the diffs and T-case and seeing no issues I had to let the noise get worse. It was still a bit of a guess in the end, but it seemed to be the logical choice given when I would hear the noise and that eventually it would become ever so slightly more noticeable during a left turn. It was a pig of a job to change though as it was utterly seized. I had to use a blow torch and sledge hammer to get it to budge - needless to say a front alignment was then required

Old 09-18-2018, 07:38 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spannermonkey
Yes, It turned out to be a front hub in the end. After several oil changes of the diffs and T-case and seeing no issues I had to let the noise get worse. It was still a bit of a guess in the end, but it seemed to be the logical choice given when I would hear the noise and that eventually it would become ever so slightly more noticeable during a left turn. It was a pig of a job to change though as it was utterly seized. I had to use a blow torch and sledge hammer to get it to budge - needless to say a front alignment was then required
That is certainly interesting. I've been dealing with a similar noise that I couldn't find a whole lot of information about, its funny that I found your thread while looking up royal purple transfer case lube.