LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 04:33 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission problem

Have a 2006 LR3 SE which I purchased used and now has 53,000 miles. Previously, had asked the dealer to check for transmission software update, as it initially seemed to have the must discussed problem of harsh and irregular shifting when rolling to a stop and then re-accelerating. Was told by dealer that everything was up to date and they could not re-produce the problem.

This problem has continued intermittantly and now the vehicle sometimes drops completely out of gear when slowing down or turning.

Just about caused an accident today, as I pulled out into the road with plenty of room, but the vehicle then dropped out of gear and I had no acceleration, as it was suddenly like I was in neutral. High RPM.... but no movement. After a few seconds, the transmission seems to find "drive" and I can then move forward with normal acceleration.

Any ideas of what may be the problem........any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Old 10-14-2008, 10:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Transmission problem

Some of the vehicles affected by the harsh downshift problem require updating the powertrain control module software as well. Have them check to ensure the PCM software is up-to-date as well. I am assuming yours is equipped with the V8. The V6 models are not affected by the software issue.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:55 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanksfor yourreply. Just got the vehicle back from the dealer and thought I would follow up in case someone out there should have a similar problem and find my experience helpful in making a possible diagnosis. [/align][/align]Thankfully the dealerdid "goodwill" the repairs, as I did report the original problem to the dealer prior to 50K.[/align][/align]As you suggested,they did do a second ECM software upgrade, but the dropping out of gear problem was related to the selector shift lever and linkage. This was replaced and it seems to be running fine now. Also the tranny is operating much smoother at start up or at any acceleration from a braking or rolling stop.

The two tell tale problems for me that indicated a problem with shifter or shifter linkage, as opposed to TCM or ECM software problem, was the fact that the "D" in the dash display would flicker or go out when braking or turning, indicating that the tranny began dropping out of gear.

Also, the original selector lever was much stiffer to operate previously, before the replacement, than the new replaced mechanism is. I bought the vehicle used and just assumed that the selector level was designed to operate a bit stiff.

I guess any noted additional stiffness in operation of your selector level might indicate that it may beginning to seize up. The complete dropping out of gear while braking or turning came on suddenly and was definitely a safety issue! I read on another site that TSB LA307-002 might address this known problem.

Thanks again for your help![/align]

Old 10-20-2008, 11:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear it got resolved. Happy driving!