LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your LR3 today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 08:48 PM
Drifting
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Removed front cover from exploded timing chain and guides 4.0

Removed the front cover and the damage appears to be mostly front left guide and chain debris. I’ll remove the oil pan tomorrow, all kinds of debris in there I’m sure, and clean all the surfaces to install all new sprockets, guides and chains.

Old 01-23-2020, 09:07 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Sold the 2009 LR3 today but have a 2016 LR4 Silver Edition arriving on Sunday. What a great truck! Besides brakes, tires and oil changes, I think I only spent $1800 on repairs over 50k miles for wheel bearings and control arms. Thanks to you guys I was able to rebuild the air compressor, flush the heater core, and finally debug the belt squeak on rainy mornings (rust buildup on the main crank). Im passing it on to a Porsche mechanic who im sure will take just as good care of it as we did. The truck has 100k miles but my indy said the 4.4 V8 is bulletproof and will go 250k with no problems. It was probably one of the best buys I could ask for in terms enjoyment, minimal depreciation and maintenance cost. I am hopeful the SCV6 gives us the same.

Here is some pics of the old one and the new one on the way.

Old 01-23-2020, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Congrats,

If it’s not to late get the LR3 back lol

Old 01-23-2020, 11:18 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 460 Likes on 411 Posts
Default Seriously...

...why did you switch?
does your LR4 have the HD Package?

Old 01-25-2020, 11:10 AM
Mudding
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Motoprophet
Removed the front cover and the damage appears to be mostly front left guide and chain debris. I’ll remove the oil pan tomorrow, all kinds of debris in there I’m sure, and clean all the surfaces to install all new sprockets, guides and chains.

Ouch. Waiting to see if there is any damage the the valves and the piston domes. Luckily, I replaced my guides before they got this bad. Good luck with your repairs. Check out Fordtechmakuloco on youtube for replacing the cassettes and timing the cams. I replaced the oil pump and pickup tube also. You'll find a lot of garbage in the pan and screen.

Old 01-26-2020, 10:33 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Congrats,

If it’s not to late get the LR3 back lol
Ha! I got it detailed for the new owner and I was really depressed after It looked amazing. The new owner is super stoked and will take good care of it. He is the head tech at Porsche Monterrey, which is a plus as I have a 997.

First impressions of the car are:

- Its fast. The SCV6 pulls like a freight train compared to the LR3. The transmission is very smooth as well.
- It doesn't have the same substantial sound at idle as the V8s. Sounds a little
- Im 6'2" and my right leg would always have to rest on the center console in the LR3, which got uncomfortable in long drives. The new interior feels like its got more leg room.
- The ride is SUBSTANTIALLY different. The 2016 feels way more refined and tight. I was not expecting that. I read that was a change between 2014 and 2015 models.
- The LR3 had plenty of space to put your phone. The LR4 has none. I dont get it. Maybe there is a secret compartment I dont know about...
- Tan interior. Meh, not a big fan but my wife wanted it. It wont age nearly as well as the black in the LR3. Same with the seats. They LR3. seats were indestructible with two small boys in the back.

As for why we sold it, our friends got a 2016 LR4 after commenting on how much they liked our LR3. My wife saw that and started making noises. We also want a car we can give to the boys when they get their license and felt it was going to be a stretch on the LR3 6 years from now.

Old 01-26-2020, 12:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Motoprophet
I bought a ‘06 LR3 with a broken timing chain. Part of the guide was through the valve cover! Surprisingly after disassembly, the left hand head looks OK. I’ll go ahead and rebuild both heads and install a new timing chain kit front and back. I’ll see what’s in the oil pan and all the other damage once I get the front cover off. I just put it on the engine stand this evening. I work slow so it will take a few weeks, or
X2 what 5280LR3 said! Went through this and used a Ford Ranger 2008 SOHC 4.0L V6 instead of rebuilding the old engine, process documented at https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...ild-kit-93456/ and had a lot of help from folks on this forum. Good luck, you can get a lot of excellent information here...

Old 01-26-2020, 07:54 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 735 Likes on 617 Posts

@thebruce - Im surprised the ride would feel different. I have not driven an LR4 but I through that suspension-wise they share the same parts as the LR3. Are the struts different parts?

Old 01-27-2020, 06:04 AM
Drifting
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Exploded timing chain

Originally Posted by 5280LR3
Ouch. Waiting to see if there is any damage the the valves and the piston domes. Luckily, I replaced my guides before they got this bad. Good luck with your repairs. Check out Fordtechmakuloco on youtube for replacing the cassettes and timing the cams. I replaced the oil pump and pickup tube also. You'll find a lot of garbage in the pan and screen.
Yes, that guy on Fordtechmakuloco is awesome. I’ve been watching his series on the 4.0. I lapped the valves in the heads and have not had any issues so far. I’m surprised a piece of timing components did not get lodged into a valve or lifter. I started to rotate the engine to take off the oil pan and it still had some coolant and oil dripping out so I am catching that excess and will get the pan off after work today. I’m waiting on parts to put the heads back together also. I’ll make sure and go through the oil pump and tube also.

Old 01-27-2020, 10:48 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 460 Likes on 411 Posts

I have heard anecdotally that the LR4's suspension is tuned a bit differently; a bit stiffer and I don't know if that is affected by the bushings or the shocks. I also don't remember if I read it on this board or another one. Pretty sure bbyer was involved in that discussion.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your LR3 today?