LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your LR3 today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2021, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Originally Posted by houm_wa
That thing sat for over a month and fired right up? Was it on any kind of battery maintainer?
No it was sitting right there in the rv lot

The following users liked this post:
houm_wa (05-21-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 03:15 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

I don't think mine would fire up after that long. I've had a slow insidious current draw for a while. It can go a couple weeks without issue. That's about it.

You rockin' an AGM or standard battery?

Old 05-21-2021, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,209 Posts

standard battery.

Fridge is pretty damn amazing, I'm impressed with how fast it cooled down.

houm_wa (05-21-2021)
Old 05-22-2021, 05:39 PM
Winching
Received 108 Likes on 97 Posts

I read some reviews on that one and its cousin the wide low version that is also 45 qt. Mostly good things and compares well with the $1,000 plus one that everyone cheers about. One review did stand out though; One guy complained that it was "voltage sensitive" what ever that means. That may concern me seeing how these things are electron hogs as it is. I was also going to say, if I did not already have one I would buy one, then I remembered that my son is Rover rich and portable fridge poor and asked him to look into it. . Heck, I may run to the PX and buy one as a back up for myself anyway.

Anyway, long thread just to say " I like it"!

Jeff

Old 05-30-2021, 02:50 AM
Drifting
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I managed to have the time to change the oil properly today, and on the advice of some prior threads on the forum I bought and installed the fumoto f106n oil drain plug. This was mostly so I could use my nice vacuum pump setup that I bought last week. I have to say that this new plug is AMAZING, and makes changing the oil so seamless. I HIGHLY recommend that you only use this with the skid plate on at all times, as it sticks out a couple of inches, and it might only take a lucky hit buy some loose gravel on the freeway to damage the drain/oil pan/threads. The oil pan is also made of aluminum, so you don't want that getting damaged either as replacing a cracked oil pan would require either an engine pull or disassembling the oil cooler, front engine cover, front differential, axle assembly, steering rack, and generator at the least.

Also, thanks to my skinny, stick arms and child-like hands, I can actually reach around the skid plate in the space around the right front tire and just barely attach the hose, and actuate the release lever on the fumoto drain. This means I never have to take off the larger skid plate again and only need to take off the much smaller plate only when I need to change the filter.

Thanks to everyone on this forum, you guys are awesome!

Old 05-30-2021, 03:34 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 717 Likes on 603 Posts

If you can reach the valve lever, you may be able to leave a section of hose attached then just extend the hose, if needed, when draining.

Old 05-30-2021, 11:36 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I’ve been busy with the old LR3. She’s got around 145k miles on her right now. Just started misfiring with a few cylinders. So I decided to go to town and change all the spark plugs and all the ignition coils. Turns out this is a super easy job. Runs so smooth and quiet now. Getting pretty good gas mileage now too. Around 11-12 in the city with A/C on and around 15 on the highway. I changed out the old K&N air filter for an OEM filter from Atlantic British. While changing the filter I noticed that the previous owner cut a 2” hole i the bottom of the air box. Why would someone do this?? Luckily air boxes are super cheap on eBay. Add this to the “To Do” rover repair list.
I also took out the blower for the climate control. I cleaned and lubed that thing up. Wow it’s so nice and quiet now. I changed the cabin filter too.
Recently I added a Curt bolt on towing receiver hitch. That was really pretty simple to install. Did it by myself too.

Rover is in access height and using a neighbors drop hitch. LoL. I ordered a 10” curt drop hitch so I can drive at “standard” height.

Old ignition coils and sparks.

So fresh and so clean. New coils and sparks

houm_wa (05-31-2021)
Old 05-31-2021, 02:35 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 211 Likes on 185 Posts

Lol, funny how you guys think 11-12 mpg is good. My TDV6 does 3 times that and more

Last year wasn't kind on the aging battery (6-7 yo) and it was only kept afloat by the 85ah auxillary, coming into winter so time to replace it.

Old 05-31-2021, 08:21 AM
Mudding
Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by loanrangie
Lol, funny how you guys think 11-12 mpg is good. My TDV6 does 3 times that and more

Last year wasn't kind on the aging battery (6-7 yo) and it was only kept afloat by the 85ah auxillary, coming into winter so time to replace it.
Send some of those TDV6’s our way!

Coldwater (06-08-2021)
Old 05-31-2021, 07:06 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 717 Likes on 603 Posts

Yeah... I have to say 11-12 is pretty poor. My 4.4 V8 best is 22mpg. I can average 20mpg on a trip if I try hard. 18mpg is how I budget my trips. If I get less than 14 I assume something is very, very wrong - or in the case of my last trip where I got 14.3 it was because only 87 octane was available out west. Premium was very rare.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your LR3 today?