LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant on the skid plate?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2019, 12:19 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant on the skid plate?

Sorry for another coolant leak question. I tried doing a search but there are quite a few threads so I'm hoping this pic I took will result in a quick answer.

I just purchased a '16 LR4 from a dealership (38,000 miles). The nearest dealership to me is 3 hours away so I'm hoping to fix this issue myself.

After driving for 4 days the coolant light came on. I checked the level in the morning when it was cold and indeed the coolant was low (below the cold fill marks). I do not smell any coolant and do not see any visible signs of a leak besides a small wet spot on my skid plate (picture attached).

Does anyone know if this is a coolant leak and if so is there a specific part causing this judging by the pic?

Thank you for your help!

Old 11-02-2019, 01:35 PM
4th Gear
Default Coolant on the skid plate?

Sorry for another coolant leak question. I tried doing a search but there are quite a few threads so I'm hoping this pic I took will result in a quick answer.

I just purchased a '16 LR4 from a dealership (38,000 miles). The nearest dealership to me is 3 hours away so I'm hoping to fix this issue myself.

After driving for 4 days the coolant light came on. I checked the level in the morning when it was cold and indeed the coolant was low (below the cold fill marks). I do not smell any coolant and do not see any visible signs of a leak besides a small wet spot on my skid plate (picture attached).

Does anyone know if this is a coolant leak and if so is there a specific part causing this judging by the pic?

Thank you for your help!

Old 11-02-2019, 09:03 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 721 Likes on 606 Posts

It could easily be coolant. Put a pice of white towel of paper on the witness and see if it pulls the same color of your coolant, which should certainly not be green.

Old 11-03-2019, 08:27 AM
6th Gear

It does look like coolant.
I just replaced our front, rear crossover tubes and the water pump. Everything does appear to drain to the rear. Our front crossover tube had broken where it attaches to the block under the intake!! 36,000 miles you'd think it was something other than the obvious, ie. all the plastic pieces.

Old 11-04-2019, 07:05 PM
4th Gear

Orangasm. I took it to a local shop as my dealership is 3 hrs away. They said they think it is either the water pump and/or crossover pipe but they need to remove the supercharger in order to see everything....They are excepting a 3 hr job out of this.

Does this sound right? I am surprised they need to remove the supercharger but I am not familiar with these engines.

Thanks

Old 11-04-2019, 07:11 PM
Winching
Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

There are so many "common" places for coolant to leak in such a condensed area, its really hard to say. Water Pumps, coolant crossivers, I have seen the little plastic lines that go to the radiator leak, massive amounts of plastic plumbing on the front of the motor, thermostat housings, etc... We recently had an LR4 with the oil cooler under the intake leak and run down the front of the motor.
You will just have to start removing covers and look for signs of wetness and pressure test if needed.

Old 11-06-2019, 08:54 AM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

3 hours for supercharger off and put back on sounds reasonable.

but, that diagnostic fee should go towards the reoair.

i would suggest proactively changing the front plastic pipe under supercharger and rear crossover while the SC is off, also not coolant related but do the PCV valves on pass side valve cover while SC is off.

All the other components except the oil cooler can be done with SC on. Oil coolers failing is not that common as LRtechniker pointed out so I don’t consider it a maintenance item.

Old 11-06-2019, 08:48 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by grapple
Orangasm. I took it to a local shop as my dealership is 3 hrs away. They said they think it is either the water pump and/or crossover pipe but they need to remove the supercharger in order to see everything....They are excepting a 3 hr job out of this.

Does this sound right? I am surprised they need to remove the supercharger but I am not familiar with these engines.

Thanks
Like abran said above, sounds about right. I had to remove the entire intake. I'm assuming that's where your SC is sitting. It took me most of the day to remove and replace but I didn't know what I was doing. I could do it in half the time now! And yes, there are so many plastic pieces around this thing... failures everywhere! I would replace the front and rear crossover pipes while they're in there. I've heard nothing but horror stories about these items. Don't take the chances... I have a blown head gasket after my failure!!

Old 11-16-2019, 10:22 AM
4th Gear

Update: The dealership replaced the water pump (verified leak) and the thermostat tube. Pressure tested and vacuum filled the coolant. Tested and no leaks.

I just got it back and after driving 30 miles I see the exact same puddle as before on my skid plate.

I took the skid plate off and found this (picture attached).

No coolant light yet. Coolant is at the top cold fill mark (only checked twice so far).

Dealership thinks it is residual.

Any ideas why there is a small puddle of coolant on my skid plate again?

My dealership is 3 hrs away, which means I will have to get it towed there again for additional inspections.

Thank you

Old 02-15-2020, 01:24 AM
Overlanding
Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

Just had a similar problem. My water pump and front crossover were seeping. Replaced them and no more leaks.