LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slight vibration/noise during acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 07:01 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I see this helped with the issue...

Dealer can't even replicate the issue however I can do it on demand now.

second LR4 and the first one I felt it in a few situations but this is ridiculous that they can't detect the vibration.

So they'll do the damper install however at a cost... not part of warranty - not a warranty item? Drive Train not warrantied basically?!?

I'm feeling it more pronounced on a 2012 I purchased with ~60k miles and CPO - which apparently doesn't cover anything minor - only major issues. Had a Tranny going on a full size - that took months to find a dealer that had experienced the issue and finally the issue was resolved.

Hearing them say - ah yeah all LR4s vibrate like that... - Nope - the SCV6's don't and other LR4s don't do it so much - LR3's definitely didn't.
I've had a at least a couple of them other the years.

Wind noise is pretty bad and a whistling is really bad on the freeway - naturally not covered - only new vehicles bumper to bumper cover seals and all sorts of things.

Last edited by viper_iii; 04-28-2016 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:54 AM
4wd Low
Yes I understand I've reviving a really old 2+ year thread - but the info here was really relevant and really glad I came across it.

So we'll see.. - they are done with it and I'll have it later today.

- In general I can't complain about the dealer specifically - they do a decent job and take care of the customers fairly well.
its more of an issue with diagnosis when there isn't an idiot light to tell them there is a problem. If there isn't a light then there really isn't an issue - let it fail and get worse basically until its a dangerous issue / wait until its out of warranty?@?

apparently the dealership choose to install it vs listening to me complain about the issue they can't detect.

Steering wheel was also really noisy like rubbing your fingernail across chords / jeans (or a soft zipper) when turning the steering wheel - read that is typically just a mis-aligned plastic cover - they cleaned it up but never heard any noise or didn't check before pulling it apart and cleaning - but hopefully that is also resolved.

Video - Sitting still Air and radio off - can hear shirt and other noises moving the wheel - but the zipping / rubbing noise is what I was trying to capture.

Comparison
16/17 LR4 Same test - no zipper / rubbing noise - very minor pad rub at a 45/90 degree point ~ 14 seconds into video - but not very bad at all and sounds right - basically silent.

Wind noise/whistle in the cabin - have the crossbars installed and expect some additional windnoise from them, but not in the front seats. - would expect that sound to be mid and not create whistle sounds / noises. Wife says she thinks the noise is more middle - I think front sunroof / windshield / passenger Door seal near front edge, just not sure.
Going to remove the crossbars and see if the noise changes considerably - however this vehicle does fall into the alpine glass glue / adhesive range I believe but not sure. - have run older LR3's/RR/RRS with full roof racks with less noise - only after getting sunroof rails replaced did I have that level of noise from a bad sunroof replacement job.

Vibration - Notes
Needed a way to capture the vibration digitally for a measurement. Basically a vibration sensor attached to the steering wheel - maybe raspberrypi project or something or a cheap little product out there to detect the actual vibration.

Odd the TSB notes and attached damper to transfer case - but if its drivetrain and a vibration is part of the power being delivered the front drive shaft then I guess that would be felt all the way into the steering column through the front drive shafts - just odd that it passes all the way through the front diff and front suspension to create that feeling.

Tires / Ball Joints / Bushings - all could be suspect yes - however the only thing consistent is RPM - speed in my case is irrelevant - Have a steep driveway that I feel it going up every time - low speed - basically ~30% incline for over 100' usually vibrates near top when getting near that rpm / load.
but also feel exact same thing at 60-70pmg on freeway / side streets accelerating (usually sport mode / uphill) when going 30-50 mph as well.

Bushings typically when stopping / starting will make more noise when they're really bad - much like LR3 / RR would make clunk noises when stopping - Trans / transfer case also had a bushing that would fail prematurely.

I'd also think tires but not when the tires are great at higher speeds and any rpm (except noted range - or not under load) can do 2500 flat ground / downhill without much load and don't feel it as much - usually uphill / accelerating - can go down grades and have it at 2500-3000 and not feel the issue downshifting and having the trans keep the speed maintained.

---
Vibration app - will try using sound meter pro - android

Last edited by viper_iii; 04-29-2016 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:34 PM
4wd Low

Supposedly the damper is installed and the vibration has been reduced greatly - can still get the vibration but is a huge improvement like others have stated. Didn't cover under CPO but dealership did get it worked out.

steering wheel zipping sound was gone most of the day then around 5pm I started hearing it again - will upload video later of sound - had AC on then disabled while recording. - but hear it really well again, during pretty much any turn now.

Updated Steering sound video after coming back from the dealer -
didn't notice the sound until I drove it around town ~30-50 miles of driving around a quite a few turns. sound is back exactly like it was again.

just the zipping sound - other sounds are shirt / other things from moving

Last edited by viper_iii; 04-30-2016 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:27 AM
2nd Gear

Man threads like this make me not want to buy an LR4....

Old 05-01-2016, 05:33 PM
4wd Low
Smile

Depends ...

on one hand I have to hold LRNA's feed to the fire - on the other its still one of my favorite vehicles.

have had several Lr3's a couple disco's, LR4 and RR.

always have few issues that have to be resolved... had a tranny issue on RR that had to be replaced under warranty - it had ~90k but had problem when I got it at ~60k - complained about it immediately after purchase - like the vibration in this 2012.

- so LR4 -
SC v6 -isn't bad but there is definitely less horsepower...
and being there is no Low Range on all models except HD Package... I had no interest in the 14+ models.

Not only that - the price tag is higher / same as older model price with less actual capability.
older model retail around 60-65k V8 and Low Range - possibly even HD - (rear locker)
New model V6 SC - no V8 option - No Low Range - a few nicer options in the cabin - not sure if the calipers / rotors are smaller or not. Same price or higher.

Not a fan of the newer Discovery coming out.
Do like the Full Size RR but only V8 SC version - V6 SC RRS did okay but the vehicle was a little smaller and didn't like it.

Old 06-01-2016, 02:52 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The noise from the steering wheel is just the brushes rubbing against the clock spring. No big deal. If totally ****, however, just a wisp of WD40 would silence it in my Jaguar without harming the electrical connection.