Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand New To Forum - Lux Build Option Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 08:32 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by canon_mutant
Of course we are STILL waiting to actually get ours but . . . adding additional features / options that I won't ever use are just more expensive stuff that will likely cause trouble or break over time in my opinion. If I was not going to use it, I would not get CP just for resale 10 years out. But I would also not get a Hummer or Landrover I was never going to get dirty either . . . There are other luxury SUVs that would meet the need, likely cause less trouble over time, and resale value on these Euro-wagons is kind of an oxymoron. This will be our 5th of various makes. Did not buy ANY thinking resale. I just love them. I want a Landrover because we will actually use it offroad on the farm here and up at 9000 ft at the cabin and, since this will be our 4th, these 3.0 diesels are still the best power plant for these mid-size SUVs IMO.
Even though I did not ever go off road in the Hummer, I do not regret buying it at all. My wife and I have driven a vehicle that we loved for 14 years and 160,00 miles with no major problems. I didn't buy it thinking of resale value at all but I am glad that it still has appeal among a lot of people and that it has turned out to have a decent resale value is a plus. I wouldn't be buying the disco for resale value, just wanted to know if the CP would make the vehicle more valuable to a broader market when I do go to sell it or might be an asset when towing.
I appreciate your input but you apparently don't think it's ok for me or anyone else to buy the Disco at all if you are not going to go off-roading. I am certain that there are many on this forum and other owners whot, like me, will never drive the vehicle off road or intend to when they purchase it. With your farm and cabin you have an obvious utilitarian reason to love the Disco for that capability. Others want to recreationally off - road and that's great too. But to suggest that I purchase another Luxury brand just because I have not intention of getting it "dirty" is just wrong IMO. That is akin to saying don't buy an AKC dog with a championship bloodline if you don't intend to enter it into shows. You can still love the dog and the dog will likely be a great pet.
This is supposed to be a LR enthusiast forum. People can and do love the Disco for lots of other reasons than just its off-road capability. I like many things: the styling, the fit and finish, the size and cargo capacity, the tech features, the towing capacity, the diesel availability and more minor features such storage capacity. I believe that JLR with their design change with the Disco V is trying to appeal to a much broader market in moving away from a more off-road look that of the LR4 and previous Discos. Maybe people like me will help the brand thrive and survive in the USA market.
Again, although it may not sound like it, I do appreciate your input, just setting forth my thoughts as a first time LR purchaser.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,485 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I have a LR3 that is battle scared and is getting ready for another year of off road events all across the east coast and being my daily. I also have one that is completely stock and lives its life doing daily duty that won't see much more than a gravel back road.

Nothing wrong with either pursuit. Nice thing about Land Rover and more than a few disagree with me, they are great daily drivers. Doesn't matter how you enjoy your Land Rover, as long as you just enjoy it.

oh and a locker is nice on a wet boat ramp to.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:27 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by BchBum11511
I purchased out of my home state and my local dealer has been great about getting me in for services. I would expect the same of any other dealer.

As for the capability plus package, I don’t think it will retain value after 10+ years. That said, I have it and look forward to using it
Thanks, good to know I was a little apprehensive and thinking the local dealer might put mine on the back burner especially when I it comes to any warranty work.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:40 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by andries
Are you planning to sell it privately or just trade-in?
At about 10 years options like that will make a big difference in private party sales as the next owner will likely want it for offroad trips.

The Land Cruiser 80 was a good example were the price for one with factory lockers were quite a few grand more than without after 10 years in the private market.

If you plan to trade in, you will not get anything extra for an option like that or very little. Most options are like that, reason why European brands tend to suck on resell vslue compared to Japanese brands with far fewer options.
Thanks. I have never traded in, always a private sale. I follow your thinking here. Like the salesman said when I told him I won't use the 3rd row seat - others will want it and no 3rd row will lower future value significantly.

Old 01-30-2019, 10:46 AM
5th Gear
Default Option

Originally Posted by Hayseed_D5
When you are already that high on rice - another $1275 for something that you MAY use is worth it.

Personally, I do not buy cars based on resale so that is not a consideration. If it were then I would definitely get the CP.

It is not like a tow hitch - you cannot add the CP on later.
Good reminder that it cannot be added later and the option price is little compared to overall cost. I am definitely not buying based p on resale value, just probably over thinking. When you are in your upper 60's you start wondering if the vehicle will outlast you anyway!!