New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a used Disco V - but closest dealer 100 miles away. Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2024, 11:47 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Land Rovers are not known for their reliability. But, I think the issue has been somewhat overblown. Yes, they are the "worst" in most comparisons I've seen. An average defect of about two per car sold. However, (1) other luxury brands are not far behind (or ahead, I suppose) and (2) this includes all defects, whether big or small, aesthetic or functional. And a lot of these have been taken care of by the original owner while the SUV was under factory warranty.

That said, many mechanics can't (and thankfully won't) work on Land Rovers and those that can and do will not hesitate to tell you how different they are. And because of that, repairs usually cost more, often far more, than similar repairs on other vehicles.

I would be far more concerned about the availability of good Land Rover mechanic near me than a dealer.

I am generally not an extended warranty buyer, but I bought a full coverage one for my 2020 Disco Landmark. I've only had mine a few months and I love it. But it's not leaps and bounds better than my 2011 Mercedes GL450 dog-mobile. And I have had a couple very minor and and rarely occurring quirks that, so far, have not become a big enough issue to further address.

I live in a high income area where LRs are fairly common. Most of the owners I have talked to are quite happy with theirs. But, when they spend big bucks on something, they may not be too inclined to point out its deficiencies.

Old 06-20-2024, 09:36 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by cru_jones
come back in 5 years with the price of an LC vs the price of a disco...

a friend just paid $21,000 for a 2007 LC.
Some people buy cars for their own use and appreciation, not what they can sell them for when they decide to move on. Unless you really don't care that much about what you drive, as long as you can sell it for a great price after a few years, resale price should not be a prime consideration. To me, it's like parenting based on how few years it will take to get your newborn out of the house. And I doubt anyone considering a Land Rover, or any luxury car for that matter, puts resale value high on the list of positives.

Old 06-20-2024, 12:20 PM
Winching
Received 331 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Elzot
Some people buy cars for their own use and appreciation, not what they can sell them for when they decide to move on. Unless you really don't care that much about what you drive, as long as you can sell it for a great price after a few years, resale price should not be a prime consideration. To me, it's like parenting based on how few years it will take to get your newborn out of the house. And I doubt anyone considering a Land Rover, or any luxury car for that matter, puts resale value high on the list of positives.
I buy for the off road capability. The luxury aspect is a perk. I do most all my maintenance, because I like to. I have a Indy mechanic, and a decent dealer also. And then I have you all on here!

Its built for this, no other car maker is.

The following 4 users liked this post by gmfain:
adam5 (06-20-2024), bkjecu94 (06-21-2024), Elzot (06-21-2024), LR disco 5 (06-20-2024)
Old 06-23-2024, 08:19 PM
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stillruns
Honda Odyssey

Rides like a dream and the kids can play soccer in the back.
you're absolutely right. I went from a 250k mile 95 disco purchased new to a brand new 2005 odyssey (for utility not kids) and never looked back. Presently driving a 200k mile odyssey that I'll be selling and sadly moving back to an suv (2018 d5 td6 in fact) due to tow cap limit. Most dude's egos can't handle driving a minivan but they're hands down the most versatile vehicle out there.

Old 06-24-2024, 11:45 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by rossrobbx
you're absolutely right. I went from a 250k mile 95 disco purchased new to a brand new 2005 odyssey (for utility not kids) and never looked back. Presently driving a 200k mile odyssey that I'll be selling and sadly moving back to an suv (2018 d5 td6 in fact) due to tow cap limit. Most dude's egos can't handle driving a minivan but they're hands down the most versatile vehicle out there.
As long as you want to stay on well-paved roads and aren't looking for premium luxury.

Old 06-25-2024, 09:46 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Hayseed_D5
The vast majority of JLR products have been great - despite the multiple lemons reported here. My dealer is close but with my schedule, they might as well be 100 miles away in the convenience area. With that being said, I will be replacing my D5 this year with another JLR product.

If you like the vehicle, the odds are in your favor that you will have a trouble free vehicle (not perfect), get it and enjoy it. It is a major purchase but do not overthink it to the point you do not do it and enjoy it.
That's the thing. Hearing all these "worst vehicle on the road (or at the mechanic) makes it sound like if you get a good one, it was a mistake. The reality is, all the European/Premium vehicles are pretty close in reliability. Mercedes and BMW have continually lowered their standards and increased their compromises to the point that, at least where I live, they have minimal exclusivity and typical features.

I have a Mercedes SUV and a Discovery Landmark. Over at the MB forums you hear the same horror stories.

I really like both of my SUVs, but that LR just has that intangible thing (plus a few tangibles, as it is newer) that just puts it above.

And, uncharacteristically, I bought a full coverage warranty, just in case.

The following users liked this post:
adam5 (06-25-2024)