New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front recover hook cover options?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 02:10 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

Is that a true recovery point or is it the tie down hook for transporting the vehicle during a tow? It looks like if you actually had a tow strap hooked to it and needed a sideways or maybe even a straight on pull, it could now possibly damage the plastic where you cut it out. The fact that there isn't an open recovery point tells me that LR didn't think it through very well. I understand the concern. If you get stuck, fumbling around under there with mud and water isn't going to cut it. Need to have it addressed before that happens.

Old 11-04-2018, 02:52 PM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It’s a funny thing that “true recovery point”. LR manual says it is for transport, yet gives instructions later in the book that guides you to take them off before going off road. For recovery reasons but does indicate you should be trained.
My local LR dealership does an off road trip for newbies, and step one is take off the covers.
I strongly suggest trying to take one off at home to get the method down before being frustrated and worried about breaking it whist in the mud. My first try was buried in mud and it was not fun at all.
I thought about mud getting in as well if a cut out is made. Although, if the recommendation is to take the whole cover off before off-roading it would seem to me that you only have better mud deflection than what they recommend by having a small cut out. You can always take the whole cover after in a car wash where it is flat, out of the mud and warm.
The picture I took from the YouTube video at the begeining of the thread is LR test drive, so LR chose to cut this out for a reason. Probably because it looks goofy with the whole thing off and in the event they needed a recovery they did not want to show this silly design and pain in front of reporters.
As for taking it off:
1)remove the plastic 1/4 turn bolts.
2)Pull the bottom down to slip out the two long tabs.
3)now the “am I going to reck this part”, wrap your hands around the now free bottom edge and pull up and out. Pull hard it will pop loose.
4) Think about doing those three steps in mud or worse, snow with cold plastic. Now consider cutting out an access hole to prevent that.

I do agree though it would only be good for an almost direct pull. You don’t get much more angle though with the whole cover off as it is recessed a bit. Angled pulls however can be super hard on drive train and a redirect should be built anyway. Proper recovery knowledge is key to minimizing damage or injury risk.

Here is a picture.

Last edited by MudDisco; 11-04-2018 at 07:13 PM.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:06 PM
Drifting

Panderisajack, what tool did you use for the cut?

Old 11-04-2018, 03:43 PM
Drifting

I went ahead with the cut and used tin snips.
I boarded the edge with good car door trim (trim with metal inserts).
I thought it may give it more strength and looks a little more stock.
My soft shackle fits nicely but as noted before good for direct pulls only. Slipping it through the eye is easy enough and can now be done under water if need be

Last edited by MudDisco; 11-04-2018 at 07:16 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MudDisco:
tuna_disco (12-27-2021), willche (08-16-2021)
Old 11-04-2018, 06:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

Nicely done!
Will need to look at it more.
FYI it seems to be $230 part for the cover in case it gets destroyed in anger

Old 11-04-2018, 09:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

I did my cutout with the cover still installed because I couldn't figure out how to get the cover off - I thought I was going to break it.

I released the bottom edge (4 plastic fasteners). Then I taped it up with masking tape and drew my cutout lines. I clamped a straightedge as a guide. Even a piece of heavy cardboard with a sharp cutout (not corregated cardboard) taped in place would work. Then with a very sharp xacto knife I cut along the guiding edge of the cardboard. A very gentle light cut at first makes it easy to follow the template. Repeated passes and then the cut guides the knife. Very easy with care.

Last edited by ponderosajack; 11-05-2018 at 08:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tuna_disco (12-27-2021)
Old 11-04-2018, 09:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

As for the other questions: Yes the front pull ring is very hefty and adequate for a recovery. And yes, a pull at an angle might damage the cover - but it will be my own fault for getting stuck and the cover isn't a major expense. At the rear, the tow hitch is very hefty and adequate for a recovery. Best to get stuck so you get pulled out by the rear.

The following users liked this post:
tuna_disco (12-27-2021)