Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full size spare question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 05:56 PM
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BritCars
How do you replace the space saver with a full size? When you buy the car it says that the trunk floor will be 10cm higher if you put in a full size. So how do you change to a full size?
Just an update that I replaced the spacesaver in my 2017 D5 with a full size spare. I found a new OEM wheel for about half the dealer price and fitted the same size and type of tire as came with the vehicle (Goodyear Eagle F1, 255/55R20. Everything fits fine. FYI, my D5 has third row seats and air suspension.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

Great. Good to know. I'll prob stick with the donut when I order, knowing that I can change later
Thanks!

Old 03-09-2018, 08:48 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is a $450 (invoice price so probably cheaper actually) option if you add it when ordering. I think it is $1100 or so ordered from a dealer later. So if you want a spare original rim it is a good deal to get at ordering. If you just want a generic spare rim then you can get one aftermarket cheaper I am sure. I went with the factory full size so if I ever mash up a rim I will use the spare and then keep the mashed up one for the spare.

Old 03-09-2018, 11:06 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Ned O'Neill
It is a $450 (invoice price so probably cheaper actually) option if you add it when ordering. I think it is $1100 or so ordered from a dealer later. So if you want a spare original rim it is a good deal to get at ordering. If you just want a generic spare rim then you can get one aftermarket cheaper I am sure. I went with the factory full size so if I ever mash up a rim I will use the spare and then keep the mashed up one for the spare.
That is a very good idea! $1100 is just for the wheel. I was able to find an OEM wheel for $450, but of course I then had to buy the tire and TPMS sensor. The option is a very good deal.

Since you have the full-size spare from the factory, I'd like to ask a quick question if I may. How does the TPMS system work with the spare? According to the owners manual, it does monitor the full-size spare (not the space saver), but I'm not sure what i should be seeing. Does it appear on the Tire Pressures display (under Vehicle Information)? The tire store installed the TPMS sensor but wasn't able to get it working. Before going to the dealer, I wanted to get an idea of what I should expect. Thanks!

Old 03-09-2018, 11:13 AM
Mudding

I ordered a 2018 Disco with full size spare but it hasn't arrived yet. April 26th !
I will let you know then if someone else doesn't chime in earlier.

The dealers I talked to thought the height thing was incorrect. I guess we need to get one with one and without to check. I theorized that with a 3rd row there is no difference and maybe without a 3rd row you lose the 10cm?
My thinking is that the 3rd row already takes up space and the non 3rd row vehicles have a flatter rear area. But that is just a wild guess on my part!

The following users liked this post:
dewamatt (03-09-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 08:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

Thanks - yes good idea to get it with the car then

dewonatt - it does monitor the full size spare but only when it's in use on the car. There is a tpms receiver in each wheel arch that monitors that wheel. If you put on the donut it is not monitored as it doesn't have a sensor (and operates at a much higher pressure anyway) so it will give you an error that the wheel isn't monitored. But if you put on the full size spare which does have a sensor it will monitor it while in use like any other wheel

Old 03-14-2018, 10:18 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

When you don't have (or want) a full spare, is there a way to cover the empty space so it doesn't look like a big empty void from behind?

Old 03-17-2018, 09:33 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by BelGSX-R
When you don't have (or want) a full spare, is there a way to cover the empty space so it doesn't look like a big empty void from behind?
On the Disco 5 it is underneath , like an explorer or pickup truck. It is held in place by a cable and you crank it down to the ground. So you unless you get underneath the vehicle and look up you couldn't tell if you had one or not.

This link has drawings of it:

Land Rover Owner Information

Old 03-18-2018, 11:29 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by BritCars
Hi - the system will only monitor the 4 wheels actually in use. So when you take off a wheel and put the spare on, the system will detect the transmissions from that wheel and monitor it (there is an antenna in each wheel arch area). But while it sits in the back of the car as a spare it isn't monitored

How do you replace the space saver with a full size? When you buy the car it says that the trunk floor will be 10cm higher if you put in a dull size. So how do you change to a full size?

at 3500 miles I have a DEF message.

This is crazy. This cant be normal can it?

Old 03-22-2018, 09:55 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ned O'Neill
On the Disco 5 it is underneath , like an explorer or pickup truck. It is held in place by a cable and you crank it down to the ground. So you unless you get underneath the vehicle and look up you couldn't tell if you had one or not.
Well, I disagree here. I've been driving behind our Disco 5 and without the full spare tire, one can clearly see a large empty space between the mufflers. I was wondering if there's some sort of skirt that could cover this space:

Last edited by BelGSX-R; 03-22-2018 at 09:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Full size spare question