New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My beautiful D5 is dead. Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 01:46 PM
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My beautiful D5 is dead. Need help!

Hello all! I am a brand new member of this forum which has been a wonderful resource to me in researching the purchase of my D5 and learning more as an owner. Thanks to all here! I wish I was joining with a more positive story to relate but I feel compelled to describe what is happening and see if there are any similar experiences out there in the D5 community. I bought a 2017 HSE Lux last June from a dealer (but not CPO) with 10K clicks on it. Up until a few weeks ago everything was great and we loved the vehicle. Only complaint would be the lag on acceleration which is a current topic in this forum, but that is another story. A few weeks ago we noticed water coming in the top of the windshield on the passenger side. We brought to the dealer who had seen a similar issue once before. Simple fix, just replace the windshield, under warranty, no problem. When I went to pick it up the dealer informed me that there was no electrical power in the vehicle...zero. The key fob didn't work, nothing, it was literally dead. Over two weeks later, they still have no idea what the problem is. They replaced the battery, conducted a front to back diagnostic of the electrical system, searched for anything that could be causing this and have come up with nothing. So a few of questions for the forum. Has anyone encountered anything like this before and if so, how was it resolved? If it is not resolved in the near future how does this play out between me, the dealer and LR? Does anyone have any suggestions for what I could or should do? And, if it is resolved, should I be concerned about the vehicle going forward? What can I ask of the dealer/LR to make sure that what can be done is being done? Thanks in advance for any comments, suggestions or recommendations!

Old 11-23-2018, 02:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

That's a tough one! If the dealer can't figure it out I would think they might have the resources to get a resolution. If not...what good are they?
Call LR direct.

The following users liked this post:
Bearskin (11-26-2018)
Old 11-23-2018, 03:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

BTW...sounds to me like they might have caused it. I wonder if there is a "Master" breaker that might be bad...

Bearskin (11-26-2018)
Old 11-23-2018, 07:28 PM
6th Gear

Thanks for the replies and I think I will contact LR directly. It certainly happened while the vehicle was in their possession. Can't help but think it must have something to do with water running down the windshield into the dash and who knows where else. But, one did not happen right after the other so it was not an immediate cause/effect.

Old 11-24-2018, 11:03 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Definitely not on you, even if it was caused by the leak.

If you don’t get help check your local automotive bureau, they are there to help in these situations.

Bearskin (11-26-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 02:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

Once it is fixed you still have years of warranty left. So you will know if there are lingering issues well within the warranty period

No harm in escalating to LR as well. But a proactive dealer should be doing that anyway. Ask them to fly in an experienced LR tech from elsewhere for an assessment

Bearskin (11-26-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 12:01 PM
6th Gear

Update: still no resolution. Service manager says they have "their best technician on the job". And they are following instructions from LR. And it will be "another week or two"; which if fixed will be about a month and a half. He says they will start "removing and putting back components" as a sort of process of elimination. This causes me great concern, which I relayed to him. What kind of car will I get back? What if problems persist? The fact that it is under warranty and not on my tab is only partial comfort. I don't want a lemon and don't have the time to be on a repair treadmill.

At what point do I begin a discussion with LR myself? Canada does have a version of the lemon law which basically amounts to binding arbitration with the manufacturer. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:11 AM
6th Gear

Update: Service manager believe the problem is the Body Control Module. Upon learning more this seems like a good explanation and likely cause. I found the following on a quick search of the subject: " Due to water ingress down the sills the Range Rover and Land Rover Discovery suffer a lot of problems with the Body Electrical Control Module (BeCM)." The BeCM is located behind the glovebox and it controls a number of electrical functions including lights, windows, wipers, anti theft, sunroof and is connected to a number of other electrically controlled systems such as ECA, ECU, SLABS ECU. It is connected to the main harness and is powered by the main engine fusebox. So, it makes sense that we had a passenger side leak in the windshield which caused water to run down in behind the dashboard where it likely zapped the BCM. Not sure why this took a month to figure out but happy that we may have a good explanation. I'm told that the BCM must come from England and that it is on back order so I still have more waiting to do.

So while the truck is sitting there I thought about asking them to resolve the transmission acceleration lag issue. Any other recommendations for tune ups to ask the dealer for given that I have a little leverage to work with?

Thanks!

Old 12-05-2018, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Good to hear they might have a solution for it.

Bearskin (12-05-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 10:21 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow. Thanks for keeping us posted. Sorry for the hassle...

Bearskin (12-05-2018)