New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New (to me) Disco. Have questions!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 08:50 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New (to me) Disco. Have questions!

So we bought a CPO 2017 td6 HSE with power 3rd row and some other nice options.

Day 1 of driving it (today), and the check engine light blinked on about 5 miles after filling up at the gas station (yes, using diesel...). I figured maybe we didn't screw in the gas cap enough, so shut the car off and re-tightened it. Check engine light is still on, even after 4 restarts and about 30 miles of driving.

Obviously, it goes to the dealer on Monday to read the code. But in the meantime, is there a procedure to reset the light? On my Alfa, you have to pop the hood, and restart the car three or four times and the light will reset if no further codes are read. Is there a similar method that can be applied here?

Old 06-16-2019, 09:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Had that happen on my 2017 td6 while on my first road trip. Had a dealer in Shreveport replace a sensor and no troubles since.

No way to user reset that I’m aware of.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

If it's a spurious error that goes away then after 3-4 times running the engine the check engine light will go out. If the error is still there it will remain on and can't be cancelled. You can use a code reader to delete the error log but next time you start it the error will repeat and come back

You need to diagnose and fix the issue. Most likely a sensor as mentioned

Old 06-21-2019, 11:29 AM
Overlanding

I wouldn't reset it if you need the dealer to check it. It could be a code that takes time to trip.

Old 06-21-2019, 02:28 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I had a similar thing occur on my 2017 TD6 too. Turned out to be a sensor that is only on the diesel models. There is a bulletin regarding this sensor so it appears I wasn't the only one with the issue. Only problem is the sensor was back-ordered due to demand and sat at the dealership for 3 weeks.

Just FYI prior to the engine light being thrown, I got "Vehicle is performing in reduced mode" or something like that on the dashboard twice but a restart fixed it.

Old 06-22-2019, 08:16 PM
2nd Gear

So I have an update. They said it was the particulate filter, and it needed to be cycled. So they did that, and drove it a bit to ensure it would not return.

I get it back, and sure enough 5 miles down the road the light trips again. So it's back at the dealer again. Not great luck so far--we have driven it fewer days than it had been in repair. At least it is a CPO.

This time, they are going to replace the entire particulatr filtering system. Parts come in next week.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by onethumb
So we bought a CPO 2017 td6 HSE with power 3rd row and some other nice options.

Day 1 of driving it (today), and the check engine light blinked on about 5 miles after filling up at the gas station (yes, using diesel...). I figured maybe we didn't screw in the gas cap enough, so shut the car off and re-tightened it. Check engine light is still on, even after 4 restarts and about 30 miles of driving.

Obviously, it goes to the dealer on Monday to read the code. But in the meantime, is there a procedure to reset the light? On my Alfa, you have to pop the hood, and restart the car three or four times and the light will reset if no further codes are read. Is there a similar method that can be applied here?
Take it in. I had the exact same issue. NOX sensor. For me there were many small things happening. An 8hr software update to the instrument cluster computer and the infotainment system fixed everything. Been a fantastic vehicle soon.