New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on Maintenance and Extended Warranty options

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 04:16 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Folks, very good inputs about the maintenance plans. I just joined the forum after getting my new Disco V a week ago.The dealer sales/finance dept game me some exorbitant rates for the extended warranty plans. When I asked for more details, they didn't give me either a brochure or any itemized list that are covered by the extended warranty. Btw, the extended warranty is from 3 rd party and not from LR and doesn't cover bumper - bumper. The lady who was trying to sell (too much sales pitch) the extended warranty got irritated when I asked for more details. She was trying to sell something for which she didn't have the complete info :-) I am interested in buying the extended warranty but not from the same dealer. Any idea as to which vendor provides the extended warranty for LR5?

- 6yrs and 75 K miles $5700
- 7 yrs and 100K miles ~ $5895
- 8 yrs and 100K miles ~ $6100

- Road hazard warranty for 4 tires : $ 3800 (replace the tire even if it is a normal flat tire)
- Key FOB replacement plan : ~$2900
- Some sealant coat(same for the airplanes) for the car : ~ $1200

- Just pre-paid maintenance plan for oil and filter change for 2 yrs : $1250
- pre-paid maintenance plan PLUS 3 yrs (oil, filter change and air purifier - ionizer change) : $1750

- There were lot more A la carte options which I do not remember.

Old 09-14-2018, 12:07 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by rsquare
Folks, very good inputs about the maintenance plans. I just joined the forum after getting my new Disco V a week ago.The dealer sales/finance dept game me some exorbitant rates for the extended warranty plans. When I asked for more details, they didn't give me either a brochure or any itemized list that are covered by the extended warranty. Btw, the extended warranty is from 3 rd party and not from LR and doesn't cover bumper - bumper. The lady who was trying to sell (too much sales pitch) the extended warranty got irritated when I asked for more details. She was trying to sell something for which she didn't have the complete info :-) I am interested in buying the extended warranty but not from the same dealer. Any idea as to which vendor provides the extended warranty for LR5?

- 6yrs and 75 K miles $5700
- 7 yrs and 100K miles ~ $5895
- 8 yrs and 100K miles ~ $6100

- Road hazard warranty for 4 tires : $ 3800 (replace the tire even if it is a normal flat tire)
- Some sealant coat(same for the airplanes) for the car : ~ $1200

- Just pre-paid maintenance plan for oil and filter change for 2 yrs : $1250
- pre-paid maintenance plan PLUS 3 yrs (oil, filter change and air purifier - ionizer change) : $1750

- There were lot more A la carte options which I do not remember.
is this real?

Old 09-14-2018, 08:32 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rsquare
Considering you can get a replacement FOB for $150, I hope there is an extra zero in that quote. Please tell me it's a typo and they didn't actually try to rape you right there at the dealership.

Old 09-14-2018, 10:12 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

Those prices look insane!

What was said above and then also tire hazard for $3800??? You can probably replace the tires twice for that amount.

I believe the factory warranty is 4yr 50k bumper to bumper. On the LR website it says there is a factory extended warranty, but to contact your dealer. I wonder if you can call LR USA with those quotes form the dealer and say WTF? I can't see how they will be happy that customers gets treated like that as their brand will ultimately suffer.

Old 09-14-2018, 10:13 AM
Overlanding

What I wrote is correct with regards to the #'s and the lady at the dealership didn't give me a copy either when I asked for it. I said I will think over it and get back to her. She wasn't happy that I didn't buy any of the maintenance package options as I kept asking questions. Btw, the extended warranty is from the continental warranty services - a 3rd party company. Also. I called 3 dealers around my area (2 in VA and 1 in MD), the extended warranty packages are on the same line with regards to #'s except for few $100 differences. The pre-paid($1250) and the pre-paid maintenance plus($1750) plans are covered by the Land Rover company and not by 3rd party. Attached pdf has the info for the PPM plans as to what they cover and don't.

Old 09-14-2018, 10:23 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by andries
Those prices look insane!

What was said above and then also tire hazard for $3800??? You can probably replace the tires twice for that amount.

I believe the factory warranty is 4yr 50k bumper to bumper. On the LR website it says there is a factory extended warranty, but to contact your dealer. I wonder if you can call LR USA with those quotes form the dealer and say WTF? I can't see how they will be happy that customers gets treated like that as their brand will ultimately suffer.

That's why the lady who was selling the maintenance packages wasn't willing to even give me a copy of the options that she is selling and hence I didn't buy any from them. I would have definitely put it on the public domain for more inputs if I had a copy of the cheat sheet she was referring to. They also know that they are ripping off their customers but they do it discreetly.

Old 09-14-2018, 10:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

I got the 6 year 75k mile with mine from the dealer when I bought the car. Price was under half of what you were quoted above.

On key fob it's not that easy in the newer cars. For security you can't just program a new fob. I believe you need a new module in the car and 2x new paired fobs. Still not worth it at that price though!

Old 09-14-2018, 11:41 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by BritCars
I got the 6 year 75k mile with mine from the dealer when I bought the car. Price was under half of what you were quoted above.

On key fob it's not that easy in the newer cars. For security you can't just program a new fob. I believe you need a new module in the car and 2x new paired fobs. Still not worth it at that price though!
as long as you still have one fob you should be able to program a blank.

Old 09-15-2018, 03:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by ToiletDuck
as long as you still have one fob you should be able to program a blank.
No - I don't think so. If there is a tech on here they can confirm. But after a spate of thefts from people's houses with clone keys JLR changed it so the key control module is permanently coded to two keys. So if you lose a key you have to replace 2x keys plus the module all together. That's why they charge so much for the protection plan. Otherwise even at dealer prices it would be cheaper to pay for 5-6 replacement keys vs the plan

I'm not 100pc sure so happy to be corrected!

Old 09-15-2018, 11:57 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Not sure on D5, but can confirm you need a new KVM on an LR4 to code a new remote.