New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

First Time Disco II Owner in OK..

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 09:29 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Time Disco II Owner in OK..

Hey there, just bought a 2003 Disco II with 75k miles. It is an amazing machine. I have been reading the forums so figured I might as well join. I also have found that you can't own one of these without a lot of knowledge unless you want to pay a dealer to rake you over the coals. I have already downloaded the rave manual and am learning quickly. I currently have some leaks and a few other issues but don't think it is as bad as I initially thought about how much I would have to invest in the engine to get it current. I am getting ready to perform the 60k maintenance which I do not believe has happened. I look forward to meeting everyone and reading the forums.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome. Please be aware that your front drive shaft, if not equipped with grease fittings, and greased on a frequent basis, will split and poke a big hole in your transmission. Check out our tech section for a write up on rebuilding the front propshaft.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:17 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Looks like you're already off to a better start than most people.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:42 PM
Overlanding

Hey Savannah,

I have reviewed the propshaft rebuild and am wondering how important this step is at the moment if everything is functioning correctly for now? I had my brother (mechanic, but not Land Rover mechanic) take a look and he told me they were fine. I obviously do not want them to fail and am willing to rebuild them, just wondering if this should be my priority at the moment? There is no noise, pops, nothing coming from the U-joints currently. Please let me know.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

The stock ones with no grease fittings are prone to failure with little or no warning. It will take out the transmission. That's pretty expensive. Contrast that to no oil presuure - you get a warning, no coolant, you get a temperature warning. The transmission replacement is big dollars. But you'll be wanting to look at all the high miles maintenace list items, and also do a manual oil PSI test to get an idea if the oil pump is putting out the correct pressure. There is no end of things to service on a new to u Disco.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:04 AM
Overlanding

Ok, thanks Savannah. I am putting together the parts list for the oil pressure gauge as we are in the "death" vin range and definately don't want to get into trouble there. Also planning an Ultragauge. After that I guess I'll go ahead and do the rebuild on the propshafts.

Thanks for all the help so far. It is really nice being a member of a group with so much knowledge for like interests (keeping the rover on the road).. =)

Old 02-20-2012, 03:48 AM
Super Moderator

Great - now time to move next thread to another part of the forum, so more eyeballs will see it and respond / realize they have something to do on theirs / remember a trick or two they want to pass along.