Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

About to purchase 01 Land Rover Need Help!!

Old 06-26-2011, 01:42 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to purchase 01 Land Rover Need Help!!

I am about to purchase this 2001 land rover with a Bosch engine and 128k and I am kinda iffy about it because I don't know to much about it what so ever. He said he's willing to take it to the dealership to show me that there is nothing wrong with it. What should I tell the tech to make sure he examines thoroughly?

Here is the link for it:
2001 Land Rover

I appreciate who ever helps me thanks.

Old 07-02-2011, 03:08 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Bosche engine?..... Yeah hope he just means spark plugs. The engine is a derivitive of the B.O.P. (Buick Oldsmobile Pontiac) 215c.i. v8. There are tons of aftermarket and replacement parts available, its the equivelent of the SBC (small block chevy) of England. Parts may be more expensive at times, but do your research, as there are many alternatives. Someone just posted the steering box is the same as a chevy s-10 pickup, for about $50? Yeah. You should do your own research, and if your still not comfortable buying a British truck, all i can say is,... what else would you buy? Chevy, Ford,.....Dodge? LOL. It's been posted before here, there really isn't anything comparable. A V6 4 Runner, with a straight axle swap? And those Toyota V6's are World Reknown for their reliablility! LOL. Or was that un-reliability?

The Land Rover is not for the faint of heart. I myself am a mechanic, and don't mind taking on projects, and doing repairs myself. But if you pay a mechanic to fix your "foriegn" SUV, you may be in for a surprise! I believe the ABS controller is somewhere around $2500 dollars? and the Catylitic converters can go for around $2100? I only paid $2600 for my whole truck, so you have to factor in the extremely low re-sales of these trucks possibly being due in part to expensive upkeep, and parts. But also know that some of that is due to ill-informed so called experts, stating their opinions as fact.

I myself despise anything made by GM. But Rover bought the rights to the engine over 40yrs ago, so I use that as justification that it has no more ties to them. Which is true, because you cannot buy Buick/Olds/Pontiac 215 parts from GM, you have to go through Rover!

So if you want to be original, and awesome, buy it. If you want to be like your neighbor, buy a Ford Explorer/Dodge Durango/Chevy Tahoe/anything other than a Land Rover?

Just know that anyting newer is going to be more expensive, and frustrating when breakdowns occur. No matter the manufacturer.

Good Luck, and also it goes both ways, don't let them convince you its a 'imported gem' thats worth more than a Ford Explorer/Chevy Tahoe/Dodge Durango. Its not. A 2001 in perfect condition shouldn't cost you more than $7500. Its 10yrs old.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:58 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Never buy a vehicle without a pre-purchase inspection from a good Rover mechanic or you may buy yourself into debt.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

You can also search what others are selling for on www.statewidelist.com, which compiles all of craigslist for a selected state, then separates by city. So you can see every Rover for sale in, say, Florida. An inspection by someone familiar with Rovers is well worth the money. You can also check out this forum's tech section for things to lok for.