Range Rover L405 (Fourth Gen) Talk about the Land Rover Range Rover 405 within.

2016 Range Rover TD6 oil change

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 01:22 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 Range Rover TD6 oil change

Hi there,

I have a 2016 RR TD6 which requires 28,000 miles oil change. The local LR dealer wants around $900 for it. Is that typical cost?

Would I void warrant if I were to use an independent shop for service? I would appreciate any recommendations on independent shops in NJ/NYC area?

Thank you!

Old 12-16-2019, 01:51 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is crazy, even if they are also refilling the diesel fluid. Did they give you a list anything else they are doing? You won't void warranty by getting a third party oil change or doing it yourself. Just keep records of having done it.

Old 12-21-2019, 01:42 PM
Winching
Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

The service is more than just an "oil service". It is likely a package that includes all the factory recommended stuff (like Pollen Filter and Engine Air Filter) whether you need it or not, plus whatever else they feel like selling at 30k. Its not a wise choice unless you need to dispose of cash.

As for voiding your warranty, they will try and scare you into thinking that. However there are laws in place to protect consumers from such. As long as your indy shop follows the schedule and uses quality parts that meet specs (easy to do), the dealer cannot void your warranty. Save your receipts though!

Old 03-06-2020, 08:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know you posted this a couple months ago and might not still be reading this, but I have the same year and vehicle as you. The difference between your RR and the average American car is you have to suck the old oil up through the filler tube with an oil suction device, and you'll need a compressor for that and an oil suction device. I would *strongly* recommend you get the power version of this rather than trying to pump it by hand! I had the compressor and bought the suction canister from Harbor Freight, about $100, but good forever. If you don't have a compressor, you might just want to take the care to your local mechanic. Also, the oil filter is just a paper filter inside a permanent metal canister, not a replaceable filter with a metal housing on it like most American cars use. There's a big nut on top you'll probably have to buy a socket for, but again you only have to buy it once.

LOL, the first change took me forever driving back and forth to get things I needed but didn't have, but going forward it should be a snap, and you don't even have to crawl under the car to change anything! Well worth doing if you like that sort of thing.

The air filter (there's only one, although the manual says two) is also an easy change.

Heck, even if you go out and buy yourself a compressor you'll still probably be less than what the dealer is charging.