ROAMING WITH FRIENDS Make friends, socialize, share pics and other non technical threads.

An Overdue Thank You

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 12:32 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

starting to think, after this whats next? i love the car but ive been adding, and its getting expensive. if i get this fixed, whats gonna go up next? i still need to get the propshaft done and door locks fixed...

could they have gotten somone other than a 3rd grader to design it?

Old 08-29-2012, 03:50 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Indiana Jones
starting to think, after this whats next? i love the car but ive been adding, and its getting expensive. if i get this fixed, whats gonna go up next? i still need to get the propshaft done and door locks fixed...

could they have gotten somone other than a 3rd grader to design it?
Welcome to the world of Land Rover. Remember every drive is a test drive and you get to play the game of where is that vibration coming from or is that a new clunk, bang, thud, knock etc.... It's a great game that is fun for all the family to play and can be espcially fun on long journeys far away from home

Old 08-29-2012, 05:36 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by G Reeves
Welcome to the world of Land Rover. Remember every drive is a test drive and you get to play the game of where is that vibration coming from or is that a new clunk, bang, thud, knock etc.... It's a great game that is fun for all the family to play and can be espcially fun on long journeys far away from home

do you think the car would hold up to long drives on the highway after its fixed?

Old 08-30-2012, 02:21 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

At sea level. That's why the cooling system is pressurized..

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Just keep a couple of things in mind.

The boiling point of water is 212 degrees F, and you exceed that.
The engine is aluminum and does not tolerate heat very well.
Yes G Reeves is an excellent fellow to have helping you. He hyas a weath of experience that few have due to his extensive background with these in his homeland.
I hope you learn from him as that is a great opportunity.
Too bad, your "friends" did you like that. They hid the full truth from you and it sounds like they are still not being totally honest with you.

I look forward to you not being a one hit wonder.

Now about the claim to be "Indiana Jones"....

Old 08-30-2012, 04:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

re: At sea level. That's why the cooling system is pressurized..

Certainly one of the reasons, because water will boil at 190F at 13,000 feet elevation. But the larger reason is that with 15 PSI of pressure the boiling point can be elevated 3 degrees per pound (approx), yielding a boiling point of 257 at sea level. Add antifeeze and it pops up even more. Yes kidz, trucks can be driven without antifreeze, like gramps did, even in the Smokie Mountains, where you only get up to say 6600 feet or so at Mount Mitchell.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:35 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, you can take these trucks on long trips....I have taken mine on trips as long as 8000 miles... and it has never(gulp), been towed in the 13 years that i've owned it... they are really quite simple.... just keep them cool.... coolent flush every other year, new thermastat and good after market temp gauge....and yes this forum has a wealth of great knowledge....sorry about your "friends", not being forth right about your truck... that sucks.... buy G reeves some beer... he is a good friend to have with this truck!!!!

Old 08-30-2012, 05:41 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Nobody in the Land Rover community is immune from this nonscense...lol

Old 08-31-2012, 11:15 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The best way to improve the reliability of your Discovery is to buy two more of them. If you own three, the chances are significantly improved that at least one of them will be in running condition at any one time, maybe even two out of the three.

Usually when you start out to fix one problem on these , others will pop up before you complete the first one. With a Discovery , it is what are you working now.

Falling in love with them only clouds your judgement. Remember they are just farm vehicles, Pigs in Dresses.

G Reeves, How do you like that EVOQUE? They are pretty snazzy looking.