Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 12:47 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Recently,

Added CDL housing to front of Transfer Case. Did this in situ, slight vibrations at about 25 mph then goes away and seems OK up to highway speeds.

For some reason, I am scared to do over 65mph in this thing.

Waiting on D1 shifter and Linkage. Difference in price, too hard to turn down.

Maybe if my D2 was only a few years old I'd have bitten the bullet on the 04 cable type shifter or after market.

Put in a new Poly V belt today, seems to have made a little difference to the spin of the cooling fan and knocked a degree or two off the coolant temps.

Running around 200F in town now, seems about right.

Added sea foam to the oil and the fuel tank in a vain attempt to reduce knocking in engine. Hard to tell but knocking seems worse under load.

Engine has 93,000 miles on it. Oil pressures are good. Will remove oil pan at next oil change and check the bearings and oil pick up tube.

Tbh getting a little tired of working on the vehicle, want to drive it more lol.

Old 10-20-2017, 12:49 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by JUKE179r
I finally bought the parts to do my Big 5 cable upgrade.
I'm doing the negative cables first:
  • 0AWG from battery - to chassis
  • 0AWG from engine to chassis
  • 0AWG from alternator chassis to battery -
The positive cables I'll do a bit later:
  • 0AWG from alternator + to fuse link to battery +
  • 0AWG from battery + to starter +
Battery cable upgrade
What's your plan for the angled terminal lugs in the fuse box and on the starter?

Old 10-20-2017, 01:41 PM
TReK
Received 481 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by grammin
Recently,

Added CDL housing to front of Transfer Case. Did this in situ, slight vibrations at about 25 mph then goes away and seems OK up to highway speeds.

For some reason, I am scared to do over 65mph in this thing.

Waiting on D1 shifter and Linkage. Difference in price, too hard to turn down.

Maybe if my D2 was only a few years old I'd have bitten the bullet on the 04 cable type shifter or after market.

Put in a new Poly V belt today, seems to have made a little difference to the spin of the cooling fan and knocked a degree or two off the coolant temps.

Running around 200F in town now, seems about right.

Added sea foam to the oil and the fuel tank in a vain attempt to reduce knocking in engine. Hard to tell but knocking seems worse under load.

Engine has 93,000 miles on it. Oil pressures are good. Will remove oil pan at next oil change and check the bearings and oil pick up tube.

Tbh getting a little tired of working on the vehicle, want to drive it more lol.
Apparently you misunderstood, like I did.
You do Not drive Discos.
You work on them, test drive them, and work on them some more, lol!

Old 10-20-2017, 02:33 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Blake
What's your plan for the angled terminal lugs in the fuse box and on the starter?
I guess I'll try and work with what I have. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out.
If I can rewire an HH-60G Pave helicopter, I think I can manage a Land Rover.

Last edited by JUKE179r; 10-20-2017 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:00 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
Apparently you misunderstood, like I did.
You do Not drive Discos.
You work on them, test drive them, and work on them some more, lol!
Haha so true, I expected some work, now I am gonna apply to my local Land Rover dealer for a discovery mechanic job.

I do something almost every time, before I start the engine, then when I get home, I pop the hood and look for issues!

Old 10-22-2017, 08:44 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In between tinkering on the 66 Jag, and the ongoing issues with the 92 I took a break and climbed into the Disco (STILL on the trailer) and tried to start it. Ive had the battery on a float charger so it should be good. Of course I got nothing, not even a click. But at least I know why. The battery is disconnected. That's what I did with it today.

Old 10-23-2017, 02:54 PM
Three Wheeling

Sat in it to start and noticed that my 10" windshield crack is now top to bottom.

Sheesh, of all the things.

There goes my lift.

Cheers

Old 10-23-2017, 03:30 PM
Mudding
Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Changed my oil pressure sensor due to leak. Was able to get to it from above, see pic. Used a deep 15/16 socket with a 3/8 wobble extension.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,275 Likes on 1,678 Posts

Tinkered with the 04 some more. Trying to get all the electrical, and interior/exterior in mint condition. I replaced the RF Passenger window motor, and got it working. The window motor did not fail in the usual manor. I'm surprised it did not short out the BCM, but the motor was completely seized and causing a dead short.

Then I attacked the cruise control. I never heard any clicks from the CC ECU so I replaced it, and boom now I have very smooth cruise control. Then I got the RR door lock swapped out so all the locks are now fully functional.

Only thing left interior wise is to grab a lower dash cover so it hides the blower and wiring.

I also removed the throttle body heater plate. I was leaving it alone as someone had just replaced it, but like I thought it started seeping so ADIOS AMIGO.... I then re-routed the intake line to the reservoir and slid a spark plug wire high temp boot over it to protect it from the exhaust manifold.

Only thing left on the 04 to be 100% is to either try replacing all the lower bearings in a last ditch effort to fix the low oil pressure light at idle, or swap in another engine. After that this will be the cleanest 04 D2 I've ever owned or seen.

Old 10-24-2017, 03:05 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Removed Valve Covers . . .

. . . on my way down to head gaskets and this is what I found:

passenger side

left valve cover
coolant puddle in area beneath ignition coils
Apart from the appalling varnish and gunk build up, I wasn't expecting to find a large pool of coolant directly under the ignition coils. (yes, that's Dexcool). Could that be caused by the heater hoses? There was also coolant under the compressor. I had observed coolant dripping at the back of the engine but expected the cause to be a head gasket or the valley gasket. The throttle heater plate and the plastic T in the upper radiator hose are both leaking again, but not enough to account for volume of coolant I am losing.
s. I have an intermittent misfire but no fault codes. Expansion tank pressurizes. No coolant in the oil.

I saw the impressive photos posted by LR03NJ--what do I use to clean rockers and lower intake manifold? I used Throttle Body/Intake cleaner on the upper manifold.

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?