Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

So what did you do to your Disco today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 10:27 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

when you put the cap/neck back on put a little black RTV on the neck it will keep it from unscrewing the next time.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:57 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Universal Joint Replacement

Replaced universal joints, nuts, and bolts because of a driveline vibration. I was surprised to find that the bolts are grade 8 3/8ths with a 24 pitch thread and the nuts are grade 5 (I used grade 8) 3/8-24 with nylon locks. The 24 pitch threads are not that common so source the nuts/bolts before taking on this repair. Two of the old bolts on the rear of my transfer case were stripped and loose causing the driveline vibration. A 30mm deep well socket is required to remove the transfer case flange nuts. There is a felt washer behind the flange nut washer so order a couple of new ones before hand. There will be some gear oil loss once the flange nuts are removed so plan to top off the oil level afterwards, or just drain transfer case and renew oil...

Old 07-28-2014, 11:24 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drowssap
when you put the cap/neck back on put a little black RTV on the neck it will keep it from unscrewing the next time.
Thanks.
I think I may have bigger issues with the head gaskets most likely being toast and coolant mixing with oil.

We shall see.
Not sure if I should pull the valve cover and check or if I should just put in head gasket repair solution and ride it out until it grenades.

I'm driving a total of 1 mile per day to and from the train station and the occasional Home Depot trip.
It could last years. LOL

Old 07-28-2014, 11:39 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by 97GreenMeanie
Thanks.
I think I may have bigger issues with the head gaskets most likely being toast and coolant mixing with oil.

We shall see.
Not sure if I should pull the valve cover and check or if I should just put in head gasket repair solution and ride it out until it grenades.

I'm driving a total of 1 mile per day to and from the train station and the occasional Home Depot trip.
It could last years. LOL
Do you have any other symptoms? If not I'd just ride it out making sure you never overheat it.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:06 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by fishEH
Do you have any other symptoms? If not I'd just ride it out making sure you never overheat it.
I can smell faint anti-freeze outside the truck and the upper rad hose looks to be leaking a little onto the intake manifold. A small puddle of coolant formed.
I might replace the upper hose and thermostat to a 160 or 180 stat to play it safe.

As soon as I bought the truck, I bought an Ultragauge since dash gauge was flakey.
The most the temp has gotten up to was 215 with AC on and 90+ degrees outside temp (with almost 1,000lbs of bricks loaded in it. LOL
I turned off the AC and it only goes up to 195 usually, same conditions.

Idling without AC on, the temp hovers around 195.

I haven't done a thing to this truck aside from an oil change, and adding TR front bumper, SD rack, and 225/75r16 tires.
It's currently at 142k miles roughly.

I've put probably less than 1500 miles on it since getting it in March this year.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:53 PM
Mudding

Used my Disco I and a small trailer to get a stablemate over the weekend. Picked up a low mileage (9500 km - 5900 miles) 1987 Cagiva 650 Alazzurra, Italian v-twin motorcycle. Pretty neat little scoot, TONS of character, good middle-weight performance bike right out of the box (Ducati air-cooled 650 Pantah engine with Desmo valves), 2-2 exhaust, triple disc brakes, chain drive, Euro-spec full-fairing version, etc. Found a source for steel-braided lines in the UK, so ordered a set for the brakes and clutch. Will change plugs, oil, oil filter, install the lines and bleed the brakes and clutch, check/adjust the chain, etc. by 10K kms, so that will be my "zero" mileage for future maintenance.

I haven't had a chance to clean it yet, but that's on the "to do" list, so you'll have to excuse it's grungy appearance. It's locked to a light pole for now, with a cover on it overnight. But I'll be moving it tomorrow into a 10x10 public storage unit I rented over the weekend (8 miles away), and will lock it inside, so it will be more secure there, and out of the elements ("out of sight, out of mind!"). And I do have a lock thru the left front brake rotor, thus the small green dot in-between the gauges, reminding me about it! I haven't done it, but I've seem some people take off on their bikes, forgetting they had a disc lock, and the result wasn't pretty!

Now if I could just get the rear hatch door to open on the Disco!

Attached Thumbnails So what did you do to your Disco today?-cagiva_20140728b.jpg   So what did you do to your Disco today?-cagiva_20140728c.jpg   So what did you do to your Disco today?-cagiva_20140728e.jpg   So what did you do to your Disco today?-cagiva_20140728f.jpg   So what did you do to your Disco today?-cagiva_20140728h.jpg  

Old 07-28-2014, 11:59 PM
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Front passengar door spring... that took 3 hrs... still not done and have a weird brass clip with rubber I can not recall what it connects to.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:37 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

replaced the battery in the keyless remote... increased my range from 2ft to 10ft! lol

Old 07-29-2014, 08:59 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

97GreenMeanie,

Borrow or rent a pressure tester and test your cooling system it could just be a leak, especially if you can smell it.

I had the same problem with my cap,it unscrewed and was cover with yellow funk, once i separated the neck and cap and cleaned them out i have not seen it again, been a over a year.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:11 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by drowssap
97GreenMeanie,

Borrow or rent a pressure tester and test your cooling system it could just be a leak, especially if you can smell it.

I had the same problem with my cap,it unscrewed and was cover with yellow funk, once i separated the neck and cap and cleaned them out i have not seen it again, been a over a year.
Thanks for the response.
I'll see if I can get a pressure tester this weekend.
Glad to hear that someone else had the same issue.

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your Disco today?