Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

So what did you do to your Disco today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 03:23 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I successfully fixed something for the first time, without breaking something else! Replaced the alternator with a used one, and everything works!

In the past few weeks I've also completely removed my headliner in an ongoing battle against leaks. The sunroofs are sealed and rubber spray coated; interior drain tubes are sealed. Leaking rear interior sunroof frame also hit with rubber spray. Seems to be ok for now.

Next project is getting to the bottom of my wet driver side carpet. Both AC drain tube outlets were clear. I'm worried it's the front sunroof drains...

Old 04-30-2016, 08:11 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts

What updates are you doing?

Old 04-30-2016, 09:17 PM
Drifting

Repaired the left rear passenger window regulator and re-installed same. Added a vapor barrier using a trash bag since the POs had completely removed it. Successfully reinstalled the door panel and the window works like new. Only took me about 4.5 hours Last task of the day was installing a new ECM coolant temperature sensor. Replacing the sensor took maybe 20 minutes and was far more enjoyable than messing with that window regulator.

Old 04-30-2016, 09:25 PM
Pro Wrench

How effective is the plastic barrier? I didn't reinstall mine as it to was already missing from the previous repair. Figured what the heck. One thing I did remember to do was grease the heck out of the moving parts/track. Read that on another thread somewhere and glad I did. It's smooth as butta' now.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:29 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by stillruns
What updates are you doing?
So far complete:
Changing the interior color from the ugly sand/tan to black and cream.
New carpet in the trunk.
Rubber sealed the bottom padding.
Sound barrier along the roof.
Resealed the sunroofs.
"New" 03 dashboard

In process:
Fiberglass the headliner for chalkboard paint.
Re-wire car stereo to remove buzzing
Install vehicle unlock switch
Install 3 prong power outlets
Color carpets black instead of tan

Coming soon:
New black seat leathers.
Custom drink holder for back seat
Custom tablet and rear view monitor enclosure.

I think that's it....

Old 05-01-2016, 10:08 AM
Drifting
Default Trash Bag

How effective is the plastic barrier? I didn't reinstall mine as it to was already missing from the previous repair. Figured what the heck. One thing I did remember to do was grease the heck out of the moving parts/track. Read that on another thread somewhere and glad I did. It's smooth as butta' now.

No idea. Just figured the original barrier wasn't there for good looks. Cut the trash bag along the seems, kinda, and used one layer of the bag. Used double sided tape to attach it to the door panel, trimmed the excess and then cut a slot for the door handle and window button, then taped around those openings. The panel popped back on easily. Only snafu was that I'd brought the bag out towards the door lock about an inch to far. So, you can see it when the door is open. I should be able to trim that back with a razor blade. There seemed to be plenty of silicone grease on the rails, based on what I kept getting on myself, and the window was moving well. So, I didn't add any additional. But probably should have. Just to lazy to make the 1/2 mile trip to Orielly's

Old 05-01-2016, 11:28 AM
Pro Wrench

When you say "resealed the sunroofs", what process did you use? I am curious as this topic is my major issue for me at the moment. What sealant did you apply and where. Any photos you would mind sharing? Thanks

Old 05-01-2016, 11:32 AM
Pro Wrench

Don't worry about the additional grease, you'll have to replace the regulator again anyway in a few years, ha! I believe the key to a long standing regulator is not slamming the doors. Too many people slam the doors and that will certainly cause problems, especially after spending an hour seeing what the door and parts are actually made of and how they are assembled. I would love to have manual windows, the roll down type. How awesome that would be. And no sunroofs. I siwh I could have found an SD in the shape my LE is in.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:07 PM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

New cork oil pan gasket installed.
New oil cooler lines installed.
New radiator installed.

Transmission fluid drained, refilled (added some Lucas for the heck of it since it's on 188,00 miles. Oil refilled. Ran the motor to burp the cooling system. Didn't see any leaks but can't drive it down the street yet without brakes.

Still waiting on the 4 way brake junction for the rear lines. It will either come tomorrow or Tuesday so tomorrow is painting some of the outside of the house.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:04 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

When you say "resealed the sunroofs", what process did you use? I am curious as this topic is my major issue for me at the moment. What sealant did you apply and where. Any photos you would mind sharing? Thanks
First thing I do, is drive around without the headliner through at least one good rain storm. Verify where it's dripping and you can check if it's fixed after the repair. Then I drop the catch tray. Unbolt the glass and remove. Peel up and off, the sunroof mechanism. Clean the old gasket from the outside roof and rim of sunroof. Apply thick bead of roofers tar to underside of sunroof. Reapply sunroof. Bolt in catch tray to fully mate topside. Place glass back in position. Crawl on roof to verify it is center. Tighten up the glass. Reconnect drain tubes. DONE. I also went ahead and cleaned the internals and lube them. I only had to reseal one drain tube.

With this process, my rear sunroof has gone from a puddle in the trunk after every storm, to absolutely no water through. The front hasn't experienced rain yet, but even prior to, the catch tube drained any ypass and it only had a very slight drip from the plastic around the drain.

Hope that helps. If you and/or others still want a full write-up, I can do it. No problem

*Edit* Just rained this morning with no leakage. My method is 2/2!

Last edited by RedRovin'; 05-03-2016 at 05:27 AM.

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your Disco today?