Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sound from tranny found?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 02:56 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sound from tranny found?

I took my '95 Disco I to my mechanic.
issue 1) The ticking sound which I still hear coming from the front end of the tranny he says is a bad bearing. He hears it coming from the oil pan. How much should I pay to replace a bearing? and do you think it really is a bearing?

issue 2) I still have a newly developed hole in the gas tank. how do I know if my vehicle is included in the gas tank recall? If not, has anyone ever used the gastank epoxy? do you recommend it.

issue 3) after sitting for a week i started it up and white smoke came out, only once. never before, or after. im not to0 worried, at worst i figure a head gasket right?

question 1) does anyone on here live in Atlanta?

Old 03-17-2008, 03:06 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: sound from tranny found?

call your dealer with your VIN to see if there are any open recalls.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:09 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

How many miles on your truck?
If you are opening up the tranny, plan on a complete overhaul, Big Bucks As your mechanic if the noise can be from a cracked flex plate.
Go the dealer, this isn't rocket science, ask them if yours is on the recall list.
White smoke, sounds like possible head gaskets, get it checked before you go tearing into your tranny, you may be pricing yourself out of repairing the truck.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:52 PM
Three Wheeling

that doesnt sound too good. Ill just try and sell it as is. it runs fine, just has the ticking. and a leak in the gas tank.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:10 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

*mental note* dont buy95 D1 from GA

Old 03-18-2008, 02:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

1) Worn or bad bearings don't usually tick, they whirl or whine. I'd focus on a flex plate. Has something gotten dented back there? Is there a bolt that has worked it's way out [of the flex plate]? Possible to also be a torque converter issue. Did you take it to a tranny shop? That's what I'd do. Get a second opinion ...see what a tranny guy thinks. You gotta be careful with these mechanics.

2) I've used gas tank epoxy. It's works very well. Napa sells a good kit. I've also used gas tank sealer (inside the tank). That's usually reserved for restorations where ya have a lot of small leaks. That works well too. I used the epoxy in a few large holes and sealer for the whole tank in my 62 Fairlane 12 years ago and still holds! You don't need the sealer.

3) If you had white smoke come out, you've got some sort of anti-freeze leak into the combustion tract. Could be the early stages of a head gasket leak, also could be intake leak. It's seeping in after sitting a while. Wait till it gets a little worse. Smell in your radiator for combustion leaks, and look under your oil cap for white, milky moisture. You could have both or neither, but it's a symptom.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:45 PM
Three Wheeling

the problem with the ticking coming from the tranny.. and i still dont get this- is that the tick is respective to rpms even in N. this should not be if it were indeed tranny issues. the sound truly is coming from the tranny however.