LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New LR4 owner with a couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 01:08 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New LR4 owner with a couple questions

Hello all, first-time Land Rover owner, and new member here!

This week, I purchased a 2012 LR4, Buckingham Blue HSE Lux with sat/HD radio.
It is without a doubt, the nicest vehicle I've ever owned!
I'm 6'2" 280lbs, my wife is 5'0" ~110lbs and the driver's area adjusts enough to make us both feel very comfortable.
Let me tell you from experience, that's exceptional.

Due to her height, the one extra thing that my wife wants is running boards. I'm planning on getting the LR factory side steps:
p/n VPLAP0035

Does anyone have any familiarity with installing these? Is there any drilling/welding involved? Or do they simply bolt on to factory mount points?
I've always wrenched on my own vehicles, and am pretty fearless about most jobs, but given how new this one is, I'd be a little nervous if drilling were needed.

What are people's recommendations for LR-specific parts/accessory suppliers?
I'm in the USA on the East Coast, I've found few places online in the US. However in the UK, there are a couple suppliers, that even when factoring international shipping, seem ridiculously cheap (relative to US prices). Is this worth pursuing, or not worth the import hassle?

For the side-steps:
My local dealer wants $1,200.00 (and really, really wants to install them at extra cost).
Atlantic British wants $950. (Genuine LR Part)
LR Direct (UK) wants £216.47 + £98.45 shipped to the US
According to my rate converter, that's just a tick over $500

Edit: Looking closer, I believe LR Direct's is not a genuine Land Rover part.
(I've seen the $90 Chinese knock-offs on Alibaba)

I'll post some pics as soon as I can pry my wife away for five minutes to take some photos!

Thanks for reading!

Old 05-04-2012, 03:13 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

On those you shouldn't have to remove the lower body mouldings. But if your wife wants it easier then she can just change the button configuration so the vehicle drops on the third button. that will make it sit down and easier to get into. plus the side steps trap dirt and snow causing them to be slick and causing additional rust.

you will have to put some rivnuts in? just order the ones from atlantic british and pay them the hour to install it. thats just over 1100 bucks with tax.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:24 AM
4wd High

After spending some $60,000 for the best SUV ever what's another $2,000. I'm 6'0" and my wife 5'4" and she had to have it to comfortably get in and out of the truck without my having to lower it. I had the dealer install same in my 2010 LR4 for some $1900 and am very happy with it. If you can DIY go to it and good luck!

Old 05-13-2012, 11:18 PM
2nd Gear

I just took a pair of the OEM side steps off the LR4 I just bought. After seeing how they attach I think it would be an easy DIY job to install them. I was going to put them in the For Sale section soon but send me a PM if you are interested. They are in great shape and I was going to try to sell them for about 1/2 or retail.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:44 AM
3rd Gear

I ended up buying them at the dealer's parts counter for $960 (Not sure how I got the $1,200 dealer figure in my head). That was only ten bucks more than Atlantic British. To me, that $10 was worth the ability to have someone to deal with face-to-face locally in case there was a problem with the parts.

I installed them myself, it took about an hour and was pretty easy. It was necessary to cut the rocker trim panels, but they're plastic, and cutting only required a sharp razor knife.

My wife loves them, and they make it significantly easier for my 160 pound Bull Mastiff to enter the vehicle.

Thanks for the responses.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:45 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On most cars it seems like the fasterns are installed, thus you need not install them; just find them and bolt on the upgrade.

That being said, I sell fasteners for a living. Rivnuts are inexpensive and simple to install. You can install them with just a drill, ratchet, hex bolt and a scrap plate of steel. I am happy to walk you through the process and can provide you with installation literature. Not looking to sell, just to help.