Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2022 Defender orders taking place now

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2021, 07:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 681 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by greenie8459
Spoke to my local dealer today about ordering a 110XS. They said they already had one arriving in November and that I could still customize it. They did not mention anything about the plant shut down. Is it possible that they don’t know? Are they just trying to get me to fork over 5k with no real idea of when it will arrive?
I'm sure different dealers get different allocations based on sales volume. Our local Land Rover dealer used to be owned by one person. Back then there were never more than a dozen new vehicles on the lot. Then one of those huge companies that owns 20+ dealerships bought them and the lot is now packed with new Discovery Sports, RRS & Velars. So many vehicles that they are building a whole new LR dealership nearby. I have to think that these mega-dealers get larger allocations and have more order slots in place to modify. As for plant shutdown, I know that Audi used to shut down their plants for 2 weeks every summer to give workers vacation time. Maybe LR did the same thing since there is also a VAG plant in Slovakia that makes the Q7 & Cayenne. A brief shutdown would also allow for the supply chain to catch-up a little.

Old 07-23-2021, 07:16 AM
Mudding
Received 147 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulLR
I'm sure different dealers get different allocations based on sales volume. Our local Land Rover dealer used to be owned by one person. Back then there were never more than a dozen new vehicles on the lot. Then one of those huge companies that owns 20+ dealerships bought them and the lot is now packed with new Discovery Sports, RRS & Velars. So many vehicles that they are building a whole new LR dealership nearby. I have to think that these mega-dealers get larger allocations and have more order slots in place to modify. As for plant shutdown, I know that Audi used to shut down their plants for 2 weeks every summer to give workers vacation time. Maybe LR did the same thing since there is also a VAG plant in Slovakia that makes the Q7 & Cayenne. A brief shutdown would also allow for the supply chain to catch-up a little.
It seems reasonable that JLR just extended an already planned summer plant shutdown. It's a bit concerning that we are now 4 four week into it with no word on when it'll be reopening though.

Old 07-23-2021, 01:21 PM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulLR
I would agree but we have a number of those mega dealers in our area and they are devoid of Defenders. Most only have a few Discovery Sports and some high end Range Rovers (SVR and Autobiography) at 130K plus. Several list a few Defenders but actually don't have them, likely allocation units somewhere in limbo...a tell tale is when they use stock pics or the "coming soon" pic of a car that is covered. Also the mega dealers show the same VIN at each location so it makes the uninitiated believe there are some available. That said one mega dealer actually has 2 90's of the 3 they had a week ago, that seem to just sit on the lot for some reason....Sad days for thiose waiting and for the sales people too....

The following users liked this post:
PaulLR (07-23-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 01:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 681 Likes on 409 Posts

So true! There is a small hidden "filter by location" tab in the online inventory search function that lets you see what is really at the mega dealer location near you. I always like those generic "coming soon" placeholder pics. I don't think 'soon" means what it used to mean pre-pandemic. As a salesperson in another industry, I do feel bad for the car salespeople with so few cars to sell. At least they get to sell most of the new cars in stock at full sticker since inventory is so low.

Old 07-23-2021, 02:38 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I called around to some dealers around the country to see if I could come close to my order...a few found on internet but when I called already presold. I guess I will wait and see if production starts and make sure I get all my options despite the chip shortage. I don't need it until March but if not by then I will jump ship.

Old 07-23-2021, 02:47 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

FWIW - I spoke with a JLR Sales Guy today that usually is dialed in. YMMV. He says that orders for P400's placed now will arrive Easter 2022. And JLR just cancelled all of the Defender V8 orders and dealers have to reorder to get a new ETA. Not sure what that means for those that are built, but not delivered. May warrant a call to your Dealership to find out if there's an impact to you. I hope not!

The following 2 users liked this post by GrouseK9:
Jared34 (07-23-2021), LoneStarBridger (07-25-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 02:51 PM
Mudding
Received 147 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
FWIW - I spoke with a JLR Sales Guy today that usually is dialed in. YMMV. He says that orders for P400's placed now will arrive Easter 2022. And JLR just cancelled all of the Defender V8 orders and dealers have to reorder to get a new ETA. Not sure what that means for those that are built, but not delivered. May warrant a call to your Dealership to find out if there's an impact to you. I hope not!
I'm going to stay optimistic and take this to mean my P300 build is going to be prioritized

heliochrome85 (07-23-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 02:59 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

Great point, @mcdoodlings . He didn't say anything about the P300's and I'll cross my fingers for you.

heliochrome85 (07-23-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 03:12 PM
Overlanding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
‘Thanks for sharing. I’d actually be ok with an Easter delivery if all options were going to be available. I’m hearing the HUD isn’t available except for those that have already been built.

Old 07-23-2021, 03:33 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I ordered a p400 back in june. Dealer says so far no changes on mine and I did order hud, clearsight review mirror, 11 inch screen, etc. I tried to get all the tech stuff. Haha.

Quick Reply: 2022 Defender orders taking place now