2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2022 Defender orders taking place now

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2021, 08:17 AM
4wd Low
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone have an estimate on how long customs clearance is taking on the East Coast? Just learnt that my car is on the Morning Carina. Trying to figure out if I'd have the car by labor day weekend. TIA

Old 08-25-2021, 08:29 AM
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by defendernoob
Does anyone have an estimate on how long customs clearance is taking on the East Coast? Just learnt that my car is on the Morning Carina. Trying to figure out if I'd have the car by labor day weekend. TIA
Our Defender arrived on the Thermopylae in Baltimore on Friday, August 20. Dealer informed us yesterday that it has cleared customs and awaiting a truck transport. So customs took about 4 days, we'll see how long it takes to get on a truck but I'm really hoping to pick it up this weekend.

The following 3 users liked this post by wendefender22:
defendernoob (08-25-2021), Ian95rrc (08-25-2021), WARWGN (08-25-2021)
Old 08-25-2021, 09:03 AM
Drifting
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by wendefender22
Our Defender arrived on the Thermopylae in Baltimore on Friday, August 20. Dealer informed us yesterday that it has cleared customs and awaiting a truck transport. So customs took about 4 days, we'll see how long it takes to get on a truck but I'm really hoping to pick it up this weekend.
@wendefender22 Mine was on the same boat/port. Dealer says they will tell me when it gets on the truck but it you get an update, please share. Thanks! A few other's here were also on the same boat.

Old 08-25-2021, 04:03 PM
Mudding
Received 270 Likes on 108 Posts

Went to the dealer today to get the out-the-door price for an incoming '22.
They wanted $3k for "vehicle protection package" after all ready promising MSRP. What? I declined and told them not to pollute my brand new factory vehicle with their crappy chemicals (as if they even apply such chemicals).
They said it's company policy that every vehicle receive this "package" which included "underbody protection", "tire protection" etc. Really? At a luxury-brand dealership? Do I really look that stupid? (don't answer that )
I went off. Told them I would report them to every government agency I could find, and tell everyone on social media to avoid the sleazy and despicable practices of the dealership.
Dropped a few f-bombs loud enough for everyone to hear, including other customers, and stormed out.

An hour later I got a call from the sales manager who apologized and promised to remove the $3k fee and to not put any chemicals on the vehicle.

Moral of the story: If your dealer tries to pull this BS, raise some hell.

(I won't mention the name of the dealer since they made things right - but If you really want to know PM me)

Last edited by dj200; 08-25-2021 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-25-2021, 04:29 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by dj200
Went to the dealer today to get the out-the-door price for an incoming '22.
They wanted $3k for "vehicle protection package" after all ready promising MSRP. What? I declined and told them not to pollute my brand new factory vehicle with their crappy chemicals (as if they even apply such chemicals).
They said it's company policy that every vehicle receive this "package" which included "underbody protection", "tire protection" etc. Really? At a luxury-brand dealership? Do I really look that stupid? (don't answer that )
I went off. Told them I would report them to every government agency I could find, and tell everyone on social media to avoid the sleazy and despicable practices of the dealership.
Dropped a few f-bombs loud enough for everyone to hear, including other customers, and stormed out.

An hour later I got a call from the service manager who apologized and promised to remove the $3k fee and to not put any chemicals on the vehicle.

Moral of the story: If your dealer tries to pull this BS, raise some hell.

(I won't mention the name of the dealer since they made things right - but If you really want to know PM me)
First I will say that is horrible and it saddens me to hear that you had to go through that. I am happy they have waived that unnecessary fee.

When I was in college I worked some hospitality at a former five star resort in the summer and found out that making things right typically involved giving something a way for free. Someone "stole" your beach chair? How about a pina colada to wash away your sadness? Your Steak was not cooked right? Here are free deserts for the table. Something like that was always the go to. The guest expectation was high and you never wanted to "ruin" a guests vacation even when it had nothing to do with you specifically.
Trying to extort you out of 3k is not really unexpected by car dealers but it would be nice if they threw on some upgraded pedals or something to "make it right"

Old 08-25-2021, 04:40 PM
Mudding

^^^
My sales guy (secretly) told me the dealership is in financial trouble and the “fee” is an attempt to save the business.
Well that’s a sad story, but ultimately not my problem.

Old 08-25-2021, 04:47 PM
Overlanding
Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dj200
^^^
My sales guy (secretly) told me the dealership is in financial trouble and the “fee” is an attempt to save the business.
Well that’s a sad story, but ultimately not my problem.
My my. Sorry you had that kind of buying experience. That is definitely not the kind of experience and treatment I would want for a high-dollar purchase. And that "save the business" line . . . that is even more uninspiring for the future. Would you be well-treated for future car servicing if they are financially "struggling" to remain in business? All that . . . that would be more than enough for me to walk.

Old 08-25-2021, 04:54 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbyz95
All that . . . that would be more than enough for me to walk.
Maybe pre-covid but the national average for defenders is now showing $1300 above MSRP (according to true car) so getting the vehicle at MSRP is now a deal relatively.

My wife told me to walk when my order got delayed a couple months. Her expectation is not in line with the reality of our times unfortunately. Its not pleasant to wait longer than expected (developed world problems), but it was still the fastest way to get the defender I spec'd.

The following users liked this post:
bobbyz95 (08-25-2021)
Old 08-25-2021, 05:00 PM
Mudding
Received 156 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Moretti
Maybe pre-covid but the national average for defenders is now showing $1300 above MSRP (according to true car) so getting the vehicle at MSRP is now a deal relatively.

My wife told me to walk when my order got delayed a couple months. Her expectation is not in line with the reality of our times unfortunately. Its not pleasant to wait longer than expected (developed world problems), but it was still the fastest way to get the defender I spec'd.
The dealer I'm working with (not local to me) has so far been really fantastic to deal with and I'm paying MSRP, but they've since gone to MSRP + $5k, so I think MSRP is plenty fair, especially given the difficulty in getting ANY new car these days.

Old 08-25-2021, 05:00 PM
Mudding

^^^
Agreed.
And if you “walk” what then? Order from another dealer and wait another 6 months?
No thanks.

Quick Reply: 2022 Defender orders taking place now