Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Annoying Software Update

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2021, 07:18 PM
Overlanding
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by patpatriot6
Hmm... it's not a great sign if it's true that OTA updates are on hold. I've worked in software for a long time, and freezing deployment is a potential sign of several things -- 1) mismanagement; 2) a weak team; 3) something profoundly broken or unstable that makes continued deployment overly risky. Software quality tends to go up when you release fewer things more often and gets worse when you release lots of things less frequently -- I have seen this play out over and over in my experience. By the way, it's not the frequency that in and of itself matters, though it's easier to isolate sources of problems with fewer changes, it's that products/platforms that release frequently often tend to have capabilities within the team and technical environment that ensure quality. Dealers aren't great authorities on these systems -- wouldn't surprise me if this is incorrect information.
I’m new to the forum so not sure how these things really work or if I’m posting correctly, So apologize in advance I tried to post the paper that was handed to me after stopping by Southbay Land Rover about having no software even showing and trying all the steps in this thread.

The Paper reads as

Customer voice :
- OS 2.0.7 SOTA Update has been suspended

Technical Description:
- OS 2.0.7 Suspended due to a potential no start condition after the GWM is updated.
- Vechile will continue to receive the OS 2.0.6 update until OS 2.0.7 is relaunched.

- OS 2.0.7 was suspended after 7 reports of no-start conditions after the customer initiated a software update.
- This failure will result in an RSA event as the GWM will prevent the vehicle to start
- The gateway module ( GWM can be updated via pathfinder to repair any affected vehicle if Pathfinder has been updated to V313 which has been released today, 14- Jan 21

The following 3 users liked this post by Gent of liesure:
Freemey (01-21-2021), TrioLRowner (01-21-2021), webops (01-20-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 07:31 PM
Mudding
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Interesting and thanks for sharing. Makes more sense now — I don’t think this means new versions are on hold... I think it’s just that they want to stop distribution of 2.0.7 (and maybe rollback to 2.0.6). It’s concerning that they don’t know the root cause of the ensuing issues but it’s certainly good practice to stop distribution of a known bad release.

Old 01-20-2021, 07:43 PM
Overlanding

Totally agree with you. I’m actually head to an other dealership tomorrow up in Ventura to get the hidden winch installed and when I explained the issue of not even having a software version loaded he insured me he would get it sorted. The fact there actually giving me a loaner car while doing work is already a better sign then the current dealership I bought the car from that paid for a Uber. Will definitely report back after this visit.

Old 01-21-2021, 03:02 AM
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gent of liesure
Totally agree with you. I’m actually head to an other dealership tomorrow up in Ventura to get the hidden winch installed and when I explained the issue of not even having a software version loaded he insured me he would get it sorted. The fact there actually giving me a loaner car while doing work is already a better sign then the current dealership I bought the car from that paid for a Uber. Will definitely report back after this visit.
Gent of Leisure-

I’m actually headed over to South Bay tomorrow to address the OTA software update issue (I’m also still stuck at 2.05) and took delivery of the Defender in December. Can I ask why you are not getting your winch installed by them and are they the dealership you’re referring to that couldn’t give you a loaner?

One positive thing is that at least they are aware of the issue, a few other dealerships in so cal would just manually update you to the latest version, but still won’t fix the Over the Air software updates offer that we are not getting.

ive had all the issues presented here, from the low engine coolant warning, the emergency brake / steeeing fault intermittently popping up, and my satellite/media hanging.

i was looking forward to suggesting the module updates to the service techs at South Bay, but it seems from your message above that nothing can be done at this point.

Would appreciate any feedback you have on South Bay, it’s my first time going to them for service.

Old 01-21-2021, 09:17 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by Gent of liesure
I’m new to the forum so not sure how these things really work or if I’m posting correctly, So apologize in advance I tried to post the paper that was handed to me after stopping by Southbay Land Rover about having no software even showing and trying all the steps in this thread.

The Paper reads as

Customer voice :
- OS 2.0.7 SOTA Update has been suspended

Technical Description:
- OS 2.0.7 Suspended due to a potential no start condition after the GWM is updated.
- Vechile will continue to receive the OS 2.0.6 update until OS 2.0.7 is relaunched.

- OS 2.0.7 was suspended after 7 reports of no-start conditions after the customer initiated a software update.
- This failure will result in an RSA event as the GWM will prevent the vehicle to start
- The gateway module ( GWM can be updated via pathfinder to repair any affected vehicle if Pathfinder has been updated to V313 which has been released today, 14- Jan 21
Thanks for sharing this. It is good to know what is happening and what is not.

Old 01-21-2021, 10:00 AM
Mudding
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Yes thanks to all for sharing. Being at 2.0.7 makes me just a tad nervous. The vehicle runs great except for 2 occasional nits -the warning for emergency braking and steering and the lack of mapping information on the info section of driver display even though map is working fine on the PIVI. Both of these correct on next ignition cycle after a short wait. I am starting to feel like they are chasing a piece of bad hardware not just software. As a precaution I turned off the automatic updates to Live Apps which I believe is different software than system updates like 2.0.7. But at this point I just want to keep driving and wait. I will call my Seattle service folks and probe the depth of their knowledge on these items.

The following users liked this post:
Gent of liesure (01-21-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 10:31 AM
Overlanding

When I bought my Defender Southbay gave me the best deal for the car so I jumped on it. It’s been back there 3 times since once for some accessories but the other two times for software related stuff. Was just frustrating to me because I’m over here researching everything any free moment I have and the team there all seem so non shallot like it’s no big deal. Last week when I was there they where offering Ubers because they had no loaners so maybe you will luck out and get one but I had no such luck. Also the accessories there seemed like nothing was in stock or they would not see much till mid March. I had spoke to an other user on here that spoke highly of the Ventura dealership and said they have almost everything in stock and seems he was correct. I called yesterday and have a apt. today.

Not talking smack on them but when buying a new truck with this type of price tag you would have to assume things would work as advertised. They told me to call back in a week about the software ( Being 2.0.7 ) it’s not stable and effecting a few cars where they won’t start. But I went by because I don’t have a version at all. Was trying to figure out if it was because I had no version or if I had 2.0.5 or 2.0.6 and that was the issue. So being told to hold tight I thought I would call Ventura.

The Ventura service Department told me they would get to the bottom of it for me, and said it was weird but insured me it would be fixed by the time i scooped the truck back up. Be it I just see the version I’m on would be nice. I’ll definitely report back once I have dropped off there and have spoken to some one face to face. Luckily I won’t be Ubering home to Long Beach. I really hope all this stuff gets sorted soon with the software it’s just all baffling to me that so many of us are having similar issues and the current Fix is sit tight ha ha.

Old 01-21-2021, 11:07 AM
Overlanding

That makes allot of sense. I actually saw this YouTube video I’ll have to find the link of these 2 British Blokes explaining the system and how it’s set up like a brain. If we solve this before the dealerships I’m going to die laugh it inside.

its not this video but they do a hole series so just got just started hammering through these in hopes I missed something or mid read something in the manual

-

Old 01-21-2021, 02:12 PM
Mudding
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

So because I commented this morning- the magic forum sent me 2.0.8. The update came without a need to lock car. I looked at Live Apps and now there is no software versioning or an opportunity to stop automatic updates Both fine with me. I will attach screen shot. Now I will wait to see if it corrected the last couple of nits I had.

The following users liked this post:
Gent of liesure (01-21-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 02:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 262 Likes on 138 Posts

I am just fascinated with everything that people are saying about the software updates. Let me put this in perspective, I picked up my build on 10/29 in Seattle. The system shows the last update occurred on 10/7/2020. The same number shows for the Live Apps and Weather app It has not attempted to update despite me looking for a software update. The page that shows the software version is still blank. I have had nothing but a pleasant experience with JARVIS except I sometimes get a blind spot not working. To make it go away, I just need to shut down JARVIS and double lock it(get the beep). Then unlock it and start it up and it goes away. Everything else has worked like a champ. I know it sounds crazy but maybe LR needs to roll things back and start over again with small updates.

Quick Reply: Annoying Software Update