Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW Roof Rack "Voyager"

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 02:35 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by spikemd
One of the benefits of the Front Runner rack is how versatile it is and all the accessories that bolt on. I bolts on my MaxTrax to the rear, awning to the side and rtt on top. Yes, my MaxTrax is broken. I actually have used them...but not with the Defender.

I looked at the front runner and it’s not something I’d like on my car. Aside from not liking the way it looks (honestly, I’ve seen better looking DIY projects here on the forum) I’ve used similar racks and I don’t enjoy the living Tetris of trying to move mounting points around as I rearrange after securing other things. It’s a pain in the **** if you ask me. I wanted something like the Voyager b/c I can literally attach to anything with just about anything and it looks a lot better in my opinion (don’t take offense, looks are subjective). I wish you all the joy in the world with your rack. My original question was simply seeing what other liked to use (e.g. ratchet strap, rope, etc.).

Old 03-24-2021, 02:36 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Tartan
Might also consider these little attachments for securing straps. LoD off-road seems to make some other plates and things that might mount to the voyager.

https://www.carid.com/lod-offroad/de...eid=3073801540
That is interesting, I think I’ll have to give those a try. Thank you!

Old 03-24-2021, 03:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 268 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by 2020Defend3r
I looked at the front runner and it’s not something I’d like on my car. Aside from not liking the way it looks (honestly, I’ve seen better looking DIY projects here on the forum) I’ve used similar racks and I don’t enjoy the living Tetris of trying to move mounting points around as I rearrange after securing other things. It’s a pain in the **** if you ask me. I wanted something like the Voyager b/c I can literally attach to anything with just about anything and it looks a lot better in my opinion (don’t take offense, looks are subjective). I wish you all the joy in the world with your rack. My original question was simply seeing what other liked to use (e.g. ratchet strap, rope, etc.).
Exactly same reasons I’m busting out the piggy bank yet again for the voyager. Both the frontrunner and oem look too high, and the frontrunner is too boxy. Can’t put my finger on it, but I knew I’d have to get the voyager as soon as I saw the pics. Just looks the part. And couldn’t agree more about the pain in the neck t-slots. More trouble than they are worth. Best part of the voyager though is the variety of side attachments which make more sense for a lot of things than having to climb up and clamp things on the top.

Old 03-25-2021, 06:21 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Tartan
Exactly same reasons I’m busting out the piggy bank yet again for the voyager. Both the frontrunner and oem look too high, and the frontrunner is too boxy. Can’t put my finger on it, but I knew I’d have to get the voyager as soon as I saw the pics. Just looks the part. And couldn’t agree more about the pain in the neck t-slots. More trouble than they are worth. Best part of the voyager though is the variety of side attachments which make more sense for a lot of things than having to climb up and clamp things on the top.
Update: Voyager reached out to me relatively quickly after I let them know I didn’t get instructions or a wind fairing and they made it right. I asked about paying extra for a larger fairing since I’m not going to put lights on the rack and he told me they would send me the full three piece wind deflector free of charge. He reached out a few times in one day to make sure everything was taken care of…. Couldn’t have been nicer. I am very happy with the quality of the rack and the service.

The following users liked this post:
Eitan (05-31-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 06:48 PM
Rock Crawling

Bart told me yesterday that now have the full fiberglass fairing like they made previously for the LR3 and 4. Looks really nice. Planning to order it as soon as they can get pricing.

Old 03-28-2021, 07:10 AM
Mudding
Received 83 Likes on 40 Posts

More pictures from those that have the roof rack would be much appreciated! Honestly back and forth between the Voyager and the LR rack. Looked at the ARB Base rack but they don’t list it yet for our Defender.

Also looking for info on the Voyager ladder, or will the Lucky8 rear ladder be compatible?

The following users liked this post:
Ahparke (06-30-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 11:56 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by 4Corsa
More pictures from those that have the roof rack would be much appreciated! Honestly back and forth between the Voyager and the LR rack. Looked at the ARB Base rack but they don’t list it yet for our Defender.

Also looking for info on the Voyager ladder, or will the Lucky8 rear ladder be compatible?
I was told by Lucky8 that the ladder is only compatible with the LR rack they list on their site. I’m not sure whether that is true though. ARB looked nice but it looks like it will be way too high. I will post some photos of my Voyager rack this week. I was going to wait until they sent me the full wind fairing. The wind noise I’m getting from it without the fairing is about as loud as an open window at highway speeds but the fairing should make it much better.

If you go with the voyager and want an easier time of securing things then I’d recommend the mesh flooring addition. I didn’t get it and though it’s super versatile, I had to invest in some brackets for my tie down needs that I otherwise could have simply used a ratchet strap with a hook (preferred method). Voyager let me know they do have a ladder but it was not listed on the site last I checked.

The LR rack looks cool and used the more popular t track’s that has a great ecosystem of any attachment you could think of. The Voyager is more old school but also more versatile in my humble opinion. Looks are 100% subjective but I think the Voyager looks like it belongs on a Defender while the Voyager is a bit too modern looking imo but perhaps if you’re not looking for that rugged off-road look….

Old 03-28-2021, 05:28 PM
Rock Crawling

I spoke to voyager last week and the ladder should be available for ordering soon at a much better price than the lucky8. Also sounds like it will be less complicated to attach.

I thought about the mesh floor, but it would actually make it harder to thread straps and things through. For things like rotopax there are nice small mounts that attach directly to round bars. Many other things are easier and more practical to attach to the side of the rack where you can reach them easily. The only time I can see needing a floor would be for soft bags and maybe plastic cases, and I’m looking at some Jeep modular rack floor plates that look like they could fit using simple bar clamps. If you really want something with t-slots, it’s possible to add crossbars on top, though that would defeat the purpose of the low profile design. One of the best things about the voyager is that it’s a few inches lower than oem and frontrunner.

Old 03-28-2021, 09:39 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

spikemd

Did you have to remove the factory OEM rails to install the frontrunner roof rack. I have just received the slimline system and FR rails like you show here and I am staring at the OEM rails with fear. They look very complicated to remove

Cheers

Tim

Old 03-28-2021, 09:42 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by timharwin
spikemd

Did you have to remove the factory OEM rails to install the frontrunner roof rack. I have just received the slimline system and FR rails like you show here and I am staring at the OEM rails with fear. They look very complicated to remove

Cheers

Tim
Might want to ask on one of the many threads about the frontrunner, but yes, if it’s the long frontrunner you have to remove the oem rails. Beware breaking the nuts due to threadlock.

Quick Reply: NEW Roof Rack "Voyager"