Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems after being stuck in water

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2024, 01:34 AM
4wd Low
Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Problems after being stuck in water

update: I got all the water out by taking out the front seats moving up the floor cover and drying it all out.
problem with rpms skipping led me to believe the engine wasnt getting enough air because there were no codes. Low and behold my air filter had a bunch of sand and dirt in it replaced that and everything works fine now.

Okay so i got stuck in water(picture attached ) when i got puller out some water came up through the passenger side. I was stuck for about 2hrs.

while driving home anytime im putting down power or going up hill occasionally the rpms will jump 300-400rpms for under a second then go back to normal. Also when i got home i checked the battery compartment and it was full of water. I kept syphoning and then would drive around a bit and more water would appear. Did this for about an our driving then syphoning and still water appears.

does anyone have a solution for either of the problems or any idea what might be going on?

Last edited by Jaredfurubotten; 03-17-2024 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-16-2024, 03:57 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 422 Likes on 197 Posts

Ough... Stop driving it, Disconnect the battery
Remove the passenger seat, remove the rubber lining on the floor and get it as quickly dry.
Check the BCM under / behind the glovebox/side wall on moisture.

​​​​​​Just my 2ct
Good luck

The following users liked this post:
Pjazz (03-17-2024)
Old 03-17-2024, 08:17 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,112 Likes on 601 Posts

Great photo and looks like it was ... a fun jaunt.

The way the Defender is designed, the floor of the car is metal (aluminum/steel mix) and doesn't drain. No drain holes.

So @defendit is right - if you have water under the carpet (which is rubber and a thick foam under layer), it's just on the metal floor and it will never drain. The interior floor of the car - the rubber matting -- is actually quite thick in places and the actual lower panels of the car (the metal part) can be 6-8-10" below as in the battery location.

So I would take out your front seats and pull up the rubber floors and see how much water's there. You may also want to check your cargo area floor too, and the rear seat areas. Get all that water up before it becomes a mildewy mix in the heat this summer.

I'd say your RPM issue is caused by some electrical problem from the water. Dry it out then evaluate.

Old 03-17-2024, 01:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 380 Likes on 193 Posts

I would towel out as much as possible. Remove the battery and remove the cover under the driver's seat. You can prop up carpet in places without removing it, which is kind of a pain, not only to remove, but put back. If you get some computer fans, connected to power banks, put them in the windows to force a cross ventilation. You can also heat the incoming air to help de-humidify it, not too terribly much, but enough to knock the humidity level down on the incoming air. Again use a lot of towels to wick up as much moisture as you can from the carpets and the recesses.

Bad news, all river water has spores for mildew. You can head it off with a technique we use in airplanes, since they leak like sieves and tend to be parked outdoors. While doing the cross ventilation drying process you can put a shallow pan on the floor somewhere inside the car (put something under it just in case) with ¼" of ammonia. The Ammonia will vaporize and kill most of the spores during the drying process. It also give your car a wonderful antiseptic smell.

What happened to my airplane on the ramp in Mumbai in very short order, so not even remotely a joke about mildew: