Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

2003 Dll Swap/Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 07:26 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Sorted...well, sort of...lol.

No, things have kind of been put on the back burner for a bit. Needs option b done, 04 trans/tranfer/hi-lo shifter cable swap, a bunch of lights wired, rear door cook table mounted and about twenty hours of other small stuff done. It's funny, bought the 01 with little expectations and it got better as time and effort went along. This rat bastard rover has done the complete opposite. But, with that being said...l'm ready to take her wheeling before any of the stuff listed begins. Need it, more for motivational support than anything else. Need to build a bond with this rover, before l can go any further. Hopefully, within a month or so...it will happen.

Brian.

Old 04-06-2019, 07:17 AM
Camel Trophy

Wheeled headlight lens. Turned out pretty nice.

​​​​​​​

Brian.

Old 04-19-2019, 06:07 AM
Camel Trophy

Installed one rock slider, before rain delayed the other side. Added some pipe rub rails to the sliders.

Like the look of the additional pipe. Wanted to use square tubing, since l will be standing on them to retrieve things from the rack. But, this round pipe was given to me...so l used it.

Brian.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:57 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 256 Likes on 214 Posts

Looks good!!

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 07:48 PM
Camel Trophy

Previous owners temporary repair on the trans let loose Friday...so after using the rover to pull chevy/trailer out of the mud Sunday...it got loaded up and drug to work today. Loaded up the 04 trans/transfer case today. Just need to find the motivation to get this swapped out.

Was very unimpressed with the traction control only rover. The old 01 with added CDL was a beast compared to this 03. Traction control was late to the party whenever needed, while pulling out the truck and trailer. Actually, had to disconnect the truck and pull it out separately, then unload the white rover off the trailer and pull it out. I'm almost positive the old 01 would have drug everything out. Could get everything moving, but once l spun a wheel...it was game over. Yeah, could have used the winch and tied off, to get everything out...but kind of wanted to test the 03.

Anyhow, 04 CDL and shifter going in...as soon as l get motivated. At least the rock sliders look good.

Brian.

Last edited by The Deputy; 04-23-2019 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:37 PM
Camel Trophy
Default Old gray basta*d is done...

Well, another build comes to an end. While on the hoist, to do trans/transfer case swap, noticed old gray had a broken frame, just in front of right rear shock mount. Knew the frame was rusty and planned on doing a frame section someday...but between the crack and finding the rocker panels all rusted out (while installing rock sliders)....l'm giving up on this one. Already started stripping it down. Might drop the engine in the white 04 and start a quick build on that. But, it's pretty clean, inside and out...so, the idea isn't going over to well with the secretary of the interior. She believes l should just find another gray one from down south or out west, since this is my true color of chose to build. However, white was on my short list originally...so...time will tell.

Good bye you old gray pain in my butt basta*d...

Hello, my new build...hopefully...we start off on a better foot than old gray. She will get old gray's engine...for the time being.

Rover family's getting smaller and smaller by the minute...lol.

If we get down to one.
Brian will have no more fun.
So, no matter the sum.
Brian will not give up until she runs.

Brian.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:15 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 256 Likes on 214 Posts

Well, that blows but lets be honest -- you never really liked it

On to the next one!

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (05-02-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 02:57 AM
Camel Trophy

Yep, like a bad relationship...you think you can make it work...but in the end...it's still a bad relationship.

Yes, it didn't take much to pull the plug on this build. Damn thing looked good though...lol.

No loss financial, paid $5, and got a brand new set of tires and better looking rims for my wife's rover and the engine has been good...so far. Just a lot of sweat equity down the drain.

Old 05-03-2019, 05:27 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

Have you tried to look for a truck from down south? Mine came from Georgia, no rust anywhere. It’s almost a joy to work on. After having a southern truck I’d be hard pressed to buy a project truck locally. Only for parts.

Old 05-03-2019, 11:33 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Fastercat
Have you tried to look for a truck from down south? Mine came from Georgia, no rust anywhere. It’s almost a joy to work on. After having a southern truck I’d be hard pressed to buy a project truck locally. Only for parts.
Yeah, this crossed my mind. Especially, since my wife really doesn't want me messing the white one (04) up with off-road stuff. But, I'm unsure I want to waste anymore money on another.

I guess Drummond Island is out for now...

Brian.

Quick Reply: 2003 Dll Swap/Build