Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

ABS = annoying..yeah

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 08:18 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by calebbo
Do I pull the ABS Valve Fuse or ABS Pump Fuse? Both?
PUMP, the ABS pump fuse.
The ABS valve's wont work without the pump.
So just pull the one fuse and throw it in your ash tray so you have it for later IF you need it.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:20 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
PUMP, the ABS pump fuse.
The ABS valve's wont work without the pump.
So just pull the one fuse and throw it in your ash tray so you have it for later IF you need it.
Then you can read through the thread a few more times until you decide to repair it or just leave disabled.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:14 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just unplug it by the modulator..no light just brakes...

Old 12-16-2010, 09:43 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

@ Discoguy
That's what I meant, I was just typing faster than I was thinking.

Yeah I want to fix the ABS system, but not right now. Claire needs some TLC but ABS just got kicked off the list..for now.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:31 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by calebbo
old school braking is pumping you brakes to stop right?

But when do you apply that? Because i don't think pumping your brakes every time to stop (ex. A stop sign) is very effective. I've tried once in awhile in the middle of the night and half the time i end up in the middle of the 4 way stop intersection haha. But then again i don't know how to do it properly. Is it like mashing your brakes, release, mash?
lol...wow ... you pump your brakes when roads are slippery and your wheels lock up....just quickly pump your brakes without releasing them fully....

Pumping brakes often stops better then ABS (on some cars)...cars that have ABS with very quick "pump action" suck, those that have slower pumps (about the interval of how you would do with your foot ) stoop much better.
Learned how to pump mine on 2001 Suzuki...noting to it

Last edited by tibyABv6; 12-18-2010 at 09:45 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:02 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tibyABv6
lol...wow ... you pump your brakes when roads are slippery and your wheels lock up....just quickly pump your brakes without releasing them fully....

Pumping brakes often stops better then ABS (on some cars)...cars that have ABS with very quick "pump action" suck, those that have slower pumps (about the interval of how you would do with your foot ) stoop much better.
Learned how to pump mine on 2001 Suzuki...noting to it
ha ha yes the idea behind pumping your bakes is to allow you to steer while braking on slick surfaces where your wheels would lock up. Have you ever locked up your brakes in snow or ice and turned the wheel to stay in control? well if you ever have then you now know that it doesn't work and you just keep going the way the vehicle was going and probably even started to rotate out of control! ABS is basically a computer controlled device that allows the wheels to slip and rotate a turn or so to allow you to regain control just enough to avoid an accident under these circumstances. Without ABS you need to remember to just "pump" the brakes thus allowing your wheels to briefly roll the way you want them to as opposed to continuously slide the way you don't want them to!

Old 12-19-2010, 08:49 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh I know what you mean.. I was with a friend in middle school and he decided to take his mom's car for a spin. He braked hard and tried to take a curve (wanna be drifter in a FWD....) and the steering wheel locked and we ended up in a ditch. Needless to say I was not allowed to hang out with him anymore haha

Old 12-20-2010, 10:18 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm dumbfounded that I have been on this forum for over 3 years and didn't know that the modulator has a way of failing to where you have no brakes. I even used to be a land rover technician at the dealership up until 2 months ago and had never heard of it. As you all may or may not know, I wrecked my '98 last may. I was knocked out pretty bad and was unconcious till about noon the next day. The last thing I remember was turning on my turn signal. Maybe my ABS failed me, I don't know, but at least now I know that there is something that could've happened. It's been 7 months since the wreck and it still drives me crazy that I have no idea how it happened.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This is the first I have heard of it as well....

Old 12-21-2010, 02:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
This is the first I have heard of it as well....
I am sure there are a handful of forum members on here that have heard the spine tingling, out of tune banjo sound as they stand on there brake pedal. I will always remember it as that horrible sound that means stopping is not currently an option!

Quick Reply: ABS = annoying..yeah