Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

ABS = annoying..yeah

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 07:50 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rover Chris
for what it's worth I got the same code (I think mine was front right though) I pulled the sensor and cleaned it up, got it reseated and working good, then my ABS failed and left me without brakes 2 days later. If the sensor is bad a new one is around $300 (someone said they found a whole set on ebay for $40, I doubt you can find that and if you could I don't know as though I would recommend it)
40 bucks? Sure... So your buying the failed system from a wreak or a junk yard truck... again just asking for no brakes.

Here is the part that I don't think some of the purist posters don't seem to understand. You can spend 1200 bucks and get all new sensors, you can replace your ABS completely is you want and nothing is stopping that brand new system from failing and you loosing your brakes. Say you bump one of those brand new sensors a little and it errors out but this time your one of the lucky ones where the no brake issue happens the first time...

Face it. It a crappy and dangerous design. And it could be solved again, by simply adding a switch into the system that basically "pulls" the fuse for you if the ABS light comes on...

Old 12-16-2010, 08:26 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ngarover
And it could be solved again, by simply adding a switch into the system that basically "pulls" the fuse for you if the ABS light comes on...
I actually could probably make a plug and play set of harnesses with a relay that would do that if people wanted it! might actually be worth marketing if all rovers are that way, but if they fixed the design on newer vehicles there probably wouldn't be enough market (actually I doubt there would be anyways since everyone just pulls the fuse!)

Last edited by Rover Chris; 12-16-2010 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:36 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Rover Chris
I actually could probably make a plug and play set of harnesses with a relay that would do that if people wanted it!
For liability reasons I don't think it would be a good idea to sell a kit to disable ABS (assuming it would even legal to sell).
Besides, anyone can look at the owners manual to see how to do it if they want. Even if they want to re-plumb without ABS it's in the workshop manual what you need to do.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:06 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by antichrist
For liability reasons I don't think it would be a good idea to sell a kit to disable ABS (assuming it would even legal to sell).
Besides, anyone can look at the owners manual to see how to do it if they want. Even if they want to re-plumb without ABS it's in the workshop manual what you need to do.
true, maybe I should market it to rover in case they ever issue a recall!

Old 12-16-2010, 11:28 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine have been working fine since working the sensors and clearing the codes.. Just becuase there was a fault and corrected doesn't mean it will never work again..

Old 12-16-2010, 12:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
Mine have been working fine since working the sensors and clearing the codes.. Just becuase there was a fault and corrected doesn't mean it will never work again..
what we are saying is there seems to be more disco's out there that either have the fuse out or ABS problems than there are ones that work right (at least the D1's) and with that said the ABS system on these trucks is either poorly designed or has commonly failing parts. either way our point is if the system faults it should fault in a way that it does not cause a dangerous situation. I was merely pointing out that I could make a relatively simple device that would be easy to install and would prevent a dangerous situation should that fault actually occur. With that being said if the system hadn't did what it did to me (complete brake failure) I may have continued to try to fix the system correctly!

Old 12-16-2010, 01:11 PM
Camel Trophy

I agree. I am just putting my 2 cents out there. They can be fixed and can work properly. Up until I saw the blink procedure, there wasn't much hope on fixing them. I even had them disabled and pulled the bulb. It was a pain offroad and I really enjoy having the system working.

The design is poor, but these trucks are old too.. Fixing them the purist way is too costly for most, but I was just pointing out that it can be done without the dealer.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:24 PM
Camel Trophy

3-8 Open circuit between ECU and recirculation pump relay.
9 and 11
9 and 30

the relay for the pump is K102. It will be the bottom one on the left side of the bank of relays you were looking at. The light relay is K103 on the right and the pump relay is K102 on the left. Might swap it with another one the same color to make sure the relay isn't bad...pretty sure it is a yellow one...

Old 12-16-2010, 01:49 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ngarover
Here is the part that I don't think some of the purist posters don't seem to understand. You can spend 1200 bucks and get all new sensors, you can replace your ABS completely is you want and nothing is stopping that brand new system from failing and you loosing your brakes. Say you bump one of those brand new sensors a little and it errors out but this time your one of the lucky ones where the no brake issue happens the first time...

Face it. It a crappy and dangerous design. And it could be solved again, by simply adding a switch into the system that basically "pulls" the fuse for you if the ABS light comes on...
To clarify to the non-purists out there(I happen to mingle on both sides of the fence), there are many reasons a person may be a purist. One reasoning is, if it came with it from the factory, I want it to work. Sounds simple enough.
Another reason is value. If I had a Tucker, I'd want it to be all original and all working condition. Why? Why not. It's worth more to a collector in original, working condition.(does this apply to Discos? To most, no. To some, yes.)
Third reason I can think of is there is something in their head that seems logical that I can't figure out. Those are the weird purists...
Again...my thoughts and opinions only.

Whether you agree with someone pulling a fuse, replumbing the abs, or fixing the abs for heaps o' cash, it doesn't matter. Give them your (simple)thoughts regarding the matter and then help them acomplish their repairs(whatever they choose) If you want to debate it, start a new thread regarding ABS, or O2s(like has been done), or cup holders(wonder what we could debate about there).

Old 12-16-2010, 01:56 PM
Camel Trophy

Thanks for posting that. The OP wanted to try to read his codes. I feel like I am the only one trying to help him. Everyone else is telling him to pull everything. I think he is finally getting the answers he was looking for. It isn't just a sensor, so he is looking into other options..

Quick Reply: ABS = annoying..yeah