Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

ABS = annoying..yeah

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 10:10 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hence...I HATE ABS...if you know how to brake properly..it is totally unnecessary..my racing background has thought me that.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:10 PM
Winching

is there a way to just unplugged the ABS modulator..where is it?

Old 12-11-2010, 10:19 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by thehun
is there a way to just unplugged the ABS modulator..where is it?
Pull the 30A ABS pump fuse from under the hood and you will have 4 channel manual brakes.
Removing that fuse takes the modulator out of the equation, it is a 2 min job.

The ABS modulator is this...

http://www.roverlandparts.com/discov...odulators.aspx

Its what all the brake lines come out of.
It is what pumps the brakes for you, there are valves inside it that open and close to prevent wheel slip.
By cutting brake pressure to wheel "A" you are releasing the brake at that wheel and letting it return to moving, a moving wheel is not locked up.
When a wheel locks up you loose all traction and thus you skid.
In normal mode brake fluid flows freely through the modulator, when a wheel sensor detects wheel slip it stops brake pressure at that wheel.

The easiest and cheapest thing to do is just remove the ABS pump fuse, no ABS pump, no ABS, just 100% normal old school brakes the way God intended.
If you remove the ABS fuse from used the dash all you do disable the wheel sensors, the ABS pump can still act up.
So leave that fuse and remove the one from under the hood, the ABS pump fuse.
30amp, under hood fuse box.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:38 PM
Winching

10-4 it will be done...any CEL lights when you do that?

Old 12-11-2010, 11:15 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555

Calebbo-what happens when the DI ABS "fails" is that it will not let you apply the brake pedal. You press the pedal and it pushes back against your foot and makes a ratcheting noise.
The noise is normal for a working ABS system, it makes lots of noise so you know its working.
However when a wheel speed sensor fails, or the ABS modulator goes bad the ABS system will over work for no reason and you will not beable to stop.
Usually you can correct this by completely letting off the brake pedal and then trying to stop again.
Mine does this every time I hit the brakes in the snow, I have to let off then apply pressure very slowly. In the snow I have to anticipate stops like 100 yards. My disco stops worse in the snow than any car I have ever driven or ridden it. With the diff lock engaged it stops a lot better. Would pulling the fuse help my problem?

Old 12-11-2010, 11:22 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Old school braking is pumping you brakes to stop right?

but when do you apply that? Because I don't think pumping your brakes every time to stop (ex. a stop sign) is very effective. I've tried once in awhile in the middle of the night and half the time I end up in the middle of the 4 way stop intersection haha. But then again I don't know how to do it properly. Is it like mashing your brakes, release, mash?

Old 12-12-2010, 06:49 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
When my wife almost rear ended a school bus the ABS pump fuse came out.
That was over 2 years ago.

Calebbo-what happens when the DI ABS "fails" is that it will not let you apply the brake pedal. You press the pedal and it pushes back against your foot and makes a ratcheting noise.
The noise is normal for a working ABS system, it makes lots of noise so you know its working.
However when a wheel speed sensor fails, or the ABS modulator goes bad the ABS system will over work for no reason and you will not beable to stop.
Usually you can correct this by completely letting off the brake pedal and then trying to stop again.
OR the peddle just goes to the floor with no resistance whatsoever. How someone has not gotten killed by this is beyond me, but it should have been recalled years ago. It's a huge design flaw. There is no reason that one part of a brake system should take out the other parts totally. The simple fix here would have been a 10 cent switch that simply disabled the ABS if the light came on...

Old 12-12-2010, 12:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds dangerous.. I think I have that. Sometimes when I brake I hear this loud noise and when I press the brake pedal it feels like a rod is pushing at my feet...

Old 12-12-2010, 01:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by thehun
10-4 it will be done...any CEL lights when you do that?
pulling the fuse under the dash will give you a CEL (forget the code but it comes up as rough road line fault or something like that) basically the OBD 2 system monitors the ABS wheel sensors and thinks something is wrong if you are driving and the wheels aren't moving (I know crazy right? lol) just do like Spike said and pull the under hood fuse labeled ABS pump or whatever it is.

Old 12-12-2010, 03:28 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

You don't always get the CEL if the ABS is disabled on an OBDII. But if you have emissions you definitely want to read your codes before taking it in, in case there are any that haven't triggered the CEL yet.
You might have to reinstall the fuses before you get your emissions test. I had to on our '97.
My '95 is getting re-plumbed without the ABS.

Quick Reply: ABS = annoying..yeah