Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Engine install - Low oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 11:34 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More bad news.

Mechanic opened up the front cover that RoverLand sent to us and told us "Yeah, bolt it right on!"

The pump, unfortunately, was scored up as well as the housing/plate.

Not only was that a mess, but we removed the pressure relief valve and all the parts, including the spring, valve, etc were all caked up with mud and sand. That's real good.

So the front cover we were told to just "bolt right on" wasn't so much a good cover at all.

So the mechanic removed the cover from the engine that we installed. Unfortunately oil pump looks fine. So this may not even be my problem.. Only thing we did notice is that there was a MISSING screw holding in the oil pump plate/cover. So...seems like a sloppy job was done putting this motor together...I am hoping there aren't any other missing parts now. Oh, lovely.

We also removed the front cover from my old engine, and everything looks perfect. Mechanic cleaned it up nice and it looks better than both covers I got from RoverLand.

We put a brand new oil pump in my original cover from my original motor, and we are going to use that cover on my engine that is in the truck now. We also put the pressure relief valve from my original engine BACK into my original cover.

I am hoping this fixed oil pressure issues...if it doesn't, I really don't know what to do from there...

Old 01-13-2014, 12:00 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
It very well be a problem with the pressure relief valve in the cover. Someone else on here just had the same problem. Definitely annoying considering the motor was supposedly checked out before you got it.
Makes me feel better knowing someone had the same problem. I hope now that my original cover and valve are on my truck that the problem will be fixed.

Do you happen to have a link to this other user's thread? I'd like to give it a read.

Thanks!

Old 01-13-2014, 12:39 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Well, not very confident with roverland. I hope you have taken photos and are going to give them hell. Their motors are not cheap.

Good luck

Old 01-14-2014, 12:18 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by abran
Well, not very confident with roverland. I hope you have taken photos and are going to give them hell. Their motors are not cheap.

Good luck
It is very unfortunate. They are very polite over the phone, but it seems the jobs done are sloppy and not done with much thought.

I did hear good reviews about them, which is why I went with them. maybe it is just my luck, but I'll be giving them hell either way. I haven't had my truck for over a month now. This is ridiculous.

Thanks for the luck. I'll be needing it.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:59 PM
Mudding

Here are some photos of the front cover they sent me and told me to have 'bolted right on'.

As you can see there is mud and sand where pressure relief valve was, and the cover is all scored up. I need to get a better pic of the inside of the cover. It came out blurry for some reason.

Name:  LOymHWL.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  160.6 KB

Name:  vr3vyim.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  174.2 KB

Old 01-15-2014, 02:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by spikeRovah
Makes me feel better knowing someone had the same problem. I hope now that my original cover and valve are on my truck that the problem will be fixed.

Do you happen to have a link to this other user's thread? I'd like to give it a read.

Thanks!
Here's the thread: https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ressure-63853/

Old 01-15-2014, 02:39 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
Thanks!

Old 01-18-2014, 12:35 AM
Mudding

Alright, I am now very angry with Rover Land.

Put on my original timing cover from my original motor with a brand new oil pump and my original pressure relief valve. This gained oil pressure and truck started with oil pressure. I took the truck for a few spins around the block and it didn't tap. Got it to operating temp and figured that we finally fixed it.

Nope.

Now the truck taps in literal 'spurts'. We put it in park and let it idle and it taps, however, when I put weight on the front of the vehicle the tapping subsides, and then will start up again...it is..very strange. It's like it's got a sticky lifter.

Not to mention there was NO thermostat in the motor...had to replace that..so on top of the oil pump cover missing screws, there was a missing thermostat...

I don't know what to do now. The tapping isn't a result of the problems we fixed, so it must of been there before I even owned the engine...I feel like Rover Land didn't test it running before dismantling it like they said...

I am going to give them hell on Monday. I am done dumping money into labor and parts that aren't helping. I haven't had my truck in over a month.

On top of that the truck runs like crap. It's choking and puttering over 2grand. Gotta figure out what that is now. Any tips on either of these issues?

Here is two vids of the tapping.. The first vid is of the constant tapping at operating temp... The second vid is of the tapping in 'spurts'.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:11 AM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

dude before you get back on the road get rid of that black expansion tank, it is just waiting for the worst possible moment to blow up on you

Old 01-18-2014, 10:03 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by ajnolin
dude before you get back on the road get rid of that black expansion tank, it is just waiting for the worst possible moment to blow up on you
That's if I can get it back on the road. I unfortunately have a very limited wallet and only expected to pay for the engine and the install, and maybe minor things like sensors and stuff...not all of this labor I have dumped money into.

Thanks for the tip though. Will do in the future.

Quick Reply: Engine install - Low oil pressure