Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

New aftermarket trans cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 09:37 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New aftermarket trans cooler?

So, as stated- I need to replace my leakey trans cooler in front of the radiator. I am looking at some of the smaller units at Summit Racing. They are not straight through like the original brush in there but I don't think the plumbing will be an issue. Has anyone done a similar swap? A small aftermarket cooler can be as low as $27 plus lines and clamps. Seems like a no brainer. Anyone? Thanks in advance-

Old 06-01-2012, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

You may be running at pressure that small hose clamp units won't handle. Your tranny has fluid going thru that "towel bar" and thru the driver's side of the radiator. The passenger side of the radiator is the oil cooler. I thought some one posted about it being like 100 - 150 PSI. If the clamps and hose are rated for it, great, if not, might just decide to pop off and pump ATF out at a very rapid rate.

Another option might be a parts guy or a salvage yard. Used, but still OEM.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:26 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes one of those coolers will work, the shape of it means nothing, the clamps that come with it will be fine.
The trans does not run at 100psi unless there is a blockage.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:18 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
You may be running at pressure that small hose clamp units won't handle. Your tranny has fluid going thru that "towel bar" and thru the driver's side of the radiator. The passenger side of the radiator is the oil cooler. I thought some one posted about it being like 100 - 150 PSI. If the clamps and hose are rated for it, great, if not, might just decide to pop off and pump ATF out at a very rapid rate.

Another option might be a parts guy or a salvage yard. Used, but still OEM.
Thanks Savannah- I agree with you about the pressure. I actually bypassed an oil cooler in an early Benz D we had years ago. It was a temp fix that I forgot about- but the line blew when my wife had it one day. when all the lights and buzzers went off, she just drove faster to her destination. The car was not worth a new crank and bearrings so it went to the grave yard. I fully intend to use a rated line if I do this. Thanks and good luck

Old 06-02-2012, 12:23 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Spike555
Yes one of those coolers will work, the shape of it means nothing, the clamps that come with it will be fine.
The trans does not run at 100psi unless there is a blockage.
Thanks Spike, I had heard these can spike really high at times but I cant imagine that it would be for more than only a second or two. Will be using a rated hose and clamps though for safe measure. Good luck