Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

So what did you do to your Disco today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 11:37 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 122 Likes on 105 Posts

dug it out of the driveway and parked it in an off street lot to make room for more cars. It has a 1 1/2 ft snow drift on the roof but it still goes good even with the messed up drive shaft (driving slowly and cautiously)

Old 02-22-2014, 12:04 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jamescphillips
Update on my window regulator bushing repair:

This weekend installing my cb antenna on the spare tire carrier. Wondering if my 12' of RG58 will be enough to run from the front to the back door.
Hi James, Double Check me on this but as I recall the length of the coax is an integral component of the antenna. Meaning, it provides a necessary resistance to the radio. It can impede performance as well as harm the "outputs" on the radio. I believe the right length is 16' or 18'. The pre-packaged mounts come with the coax to length and recommend only cutting it as a last resort to get SWR in check...

I'm pretty sure but not positive and don't mean to spark a debate about Antenna Theory and propagation etc... leave that the other radio guys and HAMs ;-), just don't want you to go through the trouble of routing front to back and have poor performance or a damaged rig (cb).

Hope this help and happy trails! Tom

Old 02-22-2014, 04:10 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

My CB works well, seems to be one of the few in our club that does. I have the CB on the dash and antenna on the reat door. I know almost nothing about CB's but I know you don't want to coil or bunch the cable.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:02 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Great, the shell oil cleaned out the build up that was keeping some areas sealed. New oil leaks now, looks like the pump seal. I don't want to do that job. I'll take it to a shop.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:49 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Changed O2 sensor (cleared the code) Changed Oil/Filter, changed Air filter, changed wiper blades, cleaned MAF. Purchased used MAF/Alternator for backup. Put 48 hours of insurance on the rig for an off-road mission with the Roverlanders tomorrow!

Old 02-24-2014, 11:09 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TomOwen
Hi James, Double Check me on this but as I recall the length of the coax is an integral component of the antenna. Meaning, it provides a necessary resistance to the radio. It can impede performance as well as harm the "outputs" on the radio. I believe the right length is 16' or 18'. The pre-packaged mounts come with the coax to length and recommend only cutting it as a last resort to get SWR in check...

I'm pretty sure but not positive and don't mean to spark a debate about Antenna Theory and propagation etc... leave that the other radio guys and HAMs ;-), just don't want you to go through the trouble of routing front to back and have poor performance or a damaged rig (cb).

Hope this help and happy trails! Tom
I keep reading that the coax is in increments of 3'. Either way I'm going to go ahead and order 18' just to be sure I have enough cable. My buddy has a SWR meter, so we will be able to properly adjust it.

I'm going to mount the antenna on my spare tire carrier...how did you guys get the cable through the door without cutting the cable? I'd rather not have a 1" hole in the back of the door.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

There is a boot that the wiring for the door goes through

Old 02-24-2014, 12:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by jamescphillips
I keep reading that the coax is in increments of 3'. Either way I'm going to go ahead and order 18' just to be sure I have enough cable. My buddy has a SWR meter, so we will be able to properly adjust it.

I'm going to mount the antenna on my spare tire carrier...how did you guys get the cable through the door without cutting the cable? I'd rather not have a 1" hole in the back of the door.
The end of the coax should be removable down to just the wire. You can pass it through the rubber gaiter in between the cargo area and rear door. Then pull out one of the bolts holding the spare tire carrier on and snake the coax through there. To do all that you'll need to pull the cargo door panel.

Or you can just run it out between the cargo door and body and the weather seal should keep it sealed and not damage the coax.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:40 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fishEH
The end of the coax should be removable down to just the wire.
This. I'll check and see when I get the new cable how to pull it apart...shouldn't be too difficult. But yeah, pulling the cargo panel is already in the plan.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

There is also a grommet you can punch through on the floor by the pass tail lite

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your Disco today?